SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#246578 - 10/29/08 07:05 AM Re: Whether I like it or not...
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Well.., my wife and I attended a wedding this summer. The age average there was 21-33. There was a crowd of older guests too. The keyboard player was in his 50's, and was using a PSR-3000.

He was a very good player too. He did play modern styles of music, but those styles DID NOT go over well on the PSR-3000. He mixed it up very well with different styles of music, but the 3000 like many arrangers out there (even the current one's) aren't quite there with their modern styles.

Zuki.., that's fine if you don't do the 20+ crowd (even though I think that's a bit snobbish to say because if you find yourself one day on a gig where this group is there.., what then? It sounds a bit limiting to me when you snob out a group like that), but if you do one of these gigs and use an arranger keyboard (even a new one).., you either get busy writing your own styles.., or as Donny stated. You better have some MP3's or some very well written SMF's. It's not to knock the player, but these arrangers are not pulling off those styles of music well.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 10-29-2008).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#246579 - 10/29/08 07:08 AM Re: Whether I like it or not...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I think it's important, at least for me, to choose the kind of venues that suit your style of playing.

My little niche is instrumental dinner music....I love doing this type of gig...play in the background, and pick pretty well what I want to play.

I don't do dances or weddings, except for the suppers, and I usually don't requests.

I also have my styles suited for this type of venue, don't have to play loud, and use an S900 which is light and easy to carry...speakers are small and light as well.

I'm picky about where I play, and it keeps the stress level way down, and I still do quite well financially.

Ian

#246580 - 10/29/08 07:15 AM Re: Whether I like it or not...
Tryggve Offline

Loc: Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
Arranger players like myself who use styles exclusively when performing, have a tough nut to crack as we get more and more contemporary requests.

This is super subjective, of course, but I try and do pretty faithful renditions of any tune I play. So, last night when I got a request for some Police tunes (Da do doo, da da da, for example...) There isn't a style I'm aware of that can do a close to the vest rendition of what happens in that song. Can I approximate it...well, parts of it...Same for some Kansas stuff people have asked me for...

Unless styles take a quantum leap in the next few years, I'll be forced to consider using midi files which I have not used yet in the last 13 years.

Thoughts?

I think you should ignore reqests. You are an artist, you decide what you play. another
fenomen is when they whant you to play there
favoriteartist!!!!!! Once I had a special reqeast...then I askt him what song is that..and he told me...that is not a song, itis a radiostation,and it plays very good
music!!!!! Tryggve

#246581 - 10/29/08 07:19 AM Re: Whether I like it or not...
Dnj Offline

Ian being your an background instrumentalist as you state & dont sing or do big venues is your choice of course glad your happy but it aint for me at all....myself I like to do it all...from the small cocktail hour to a 500pp pumped up Weddings & Dances makes it very enjoyable and exciting and profitable...
I use all tools at my disposal, I'm dam good at it wheather KB only at a small affair or Full Bore Mix at a Big venue & as long as these DJ's cut into our scene you had better step up, keep your head above water or your gonna drown unless you financially comfortable

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-29-2008).]

#246582 - 10/29/08 07:23 AM Re: Whether I like it or not...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tryggve:
I think you should ignore reqests. You are an artist, you decide what you play. Tryggve

great way to disappoint your audiences for sure.Please elaborate I dont know how they do it in Sweden but I'd love to hear your philosophy on this ?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-29-2008).]

#246583 - 10/29/08 07:25 AM Re: Whether I like it or not...
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I agree with Donny. You're being hired to play music.., shouldn't the person who hired you also have a say in what they're paying you to play? You're the artist, getting paid so YOU decide. That's a little messed up IMO.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#246584 - 10/29/08 07:30 AM Re: Whether I like it or not...
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Ian being your an background instrumentalist as you state & dont sing or do big venues is your choice of course glad your happy but it aint for me at all....as long as these DJ's cut into our scene you had better step up, keep your head above water or your gonna drown unless you financially comfortable.

I guess I'm fortunate that I can choose my gigs to suit my type of playing, and I don't have to work a whole lot to get by quite well.

I own my home (no mortgage), and my car is paid for, so my expenses are at a minimum...I don't drink or smoke, so that's another saving as well.

I buy a new mid-line arranger about every three years, so my initial investment is small, and my Yamaha speakers are 15 years old and perfect for my type of gig.

My needs are simple, so I work accordingly.

Ian

#246585 - 10/29/08 07:36 AM Re: Whether I like it or not...
Dnj Offline

Ian that's great but if your a full time pro & when you have 4 kids & a family depending on YOU restaurants just dont cut it my friend financially.....dont get me wrong I respect all performers doing their thing but we all have to do what we have to do in this world.

Good luck to you.

#246586 - 10/29/08 07:46 AM Re: Whether I like it or not...
Tryggve Offline

Loc: Sweden
My friend. The people have hired me becase they know what they are gona gett. We in the band are know`n for our special style,We only play dancemusic(scandinavian
dancemusic) A lot of ABBA ,Rockmusic S.Twain
countrylike music.We chain songs often,but not the style.But what do you do if they ask for..say classic music.No I`m the artist
I`m to decide what to play.Otherwise I`ll could call me a jukebox.
Sorry for the poor spelling. Tryggve

#246587 - 10/29/08 07:48 AM Re: Whether I like it or not...
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Ian that's great but if your a full time pro & when you have 4 kids & a family depending on YOU restaurants just dont cut it my friend financially.....

That's true, Donny...I'm divorced, no kids...it sure would be tougher if I had a family to support, or an alimony to pay.

I'm not going to get rich, but I don't want to...I'm happy with "enough" and a less stressful lifestyle.

Ian

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online