SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#246559 - 10/29/08 08:30 AM Re: FYI........Roland arranger fact
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Does it matter how many parts a kb will play if you are cutting out all the 'fluff' and using mostly bass, drums, and guitar ?!? ...
t.

#246560 - 10/29/08 08:31 AM Re: FYI........Roland arranger fact
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Can Ian and Fran agree on anything?

Yes, cass, ... they agree to ARGUE !!! ...

How are YOU doing, my friend?
t.

#246561 - 10/29/08 08:41 AM Re: FYI........Roland arranger fact
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Ian its more then sounds & styles alone to a pro navigation & editing tools you can use in live player is essential & to me Pros have special needs.

To me it is the sound...if it doesn't please me, then I don't want it...the Roland sound doesn't appeal to me as my "main" sound...if the GW8 was better designed, I'd have one of them as an alternate source of voices and styles, but it's far from what I'd want, even at $895.

Your needs are being met by the E-60...that's cool.

Mine are met by the S900...even cooler.

At least we don't have to lug around a G70.

Ian

#246562 - 10/29/08 08:46 AM Re: FYI........Roland arranger fact
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:

Of course not, Cassp...where would be the fun in that?

I hope you're doing well, my friend...always good to see you posting.

Ian

#246563 - 10/29/08 09:08 AM Re: FYI........Roland arranger fact
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:

Ian is taller than I...

#246564 - 10/29/08 01:31 PM Re: FYI........Roland arranger fact
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think the bottom line is that the Roland's are flexible enough, should you actually need such a dense style.

I agree that bass and drums and maybe a guitar rhythm should be sufficient in most cases, but if you are doing bigband, or densely textured electronica, whatever, sometimes you DO need a lot of Tones, especially to help different Variations actually SOUND different.

But quoting those specs is a slippery slope, as the manufacturers obscure the details in 'marketspeak' and the manuals are more confusing than Finnegan's Wake

Bottom line is that, if you 'get' the Roland sound and approach, it doesn't matter how many Tones can be used in a style (it rarely gets into those elevated numbers, thank God!), and if you don't, it wouldn't matter if there were unlimited sounds per style!

To each, his own.

#246565 - 10/29/08 02:06 PM Re: FYI........Roland arranger fact
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
To all who have supported me thru my illness- THANK YOU. The cardiologist and family doctor agree that I appear to be on the right track to a full recovery. Meds will need to be monitored and tweaked occasionally, but the heart is now beating stronger and slower. And with the help of my defibulator/pacemaker I feel confident that I will not just keel over. Thanks for all your prayers and good wishes. I hope to be back to my church job in a few weeks. As for OMB and commercial music, well that will have to wait, but I'm still very interested in and will stay connected with SZ.

Honestly, I couldn't tell you too much about features and specs of most of my numerous arrangers. I just bought 'em cuz I liked 'em.

#246566 - 10/29/08 03:18 PM Re: FYI........Roland arranger fact
Swissman Offline

Loc: Moita, Portugal
Just for the records....

I own a G70 and a Tyros 2 and I love both of them as each one has advantages in some departments over the other (I like the PA2X and SD1 sound too but wife will never allow me to have more keyboards at home than I already have).

But...

If I had to choose only one to keep....G70 would be the one.

Keep playing and enjoy your life as it is sooooooooo short for the amount of music available to listening and playing....

Carlos

#246567 - 10/29/08 03:47 PM Re: FYI........Roland arranger fact
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'd be happy to own both myself, especially if the damn manufacturers put their heads together and standardized the operational MIDI codes (Variation changes, Intro and Ending commands, Break/Fill codes, etc.) so you could link them and use the best of each of them at what they ARE best at.

The drums of the G70
The basses and guitars of the Tyros
The piano and Hammond of the G70
The action of the G70
The SA sounds of the Tyros
The multipads of the Tyros
The sequencer of the G70
The synth sounds of the G70 (and Tyros!)

Etc., etc..

What an amazing sound that would be!

Too bad neither company thinks that sales would go UP if they made it so they WOULD talk to each other. I guess they simply reflect many here at SZ... Complacently happy with what they already do, and unwilling to put in any work to make an effort to understand that ALL arrangers have their strong points and weak.

Strange that the manufacturers don't remember the 80's, when the synth explosion occurred, PRECISELY because finally it was possible to get them to all talk the same language to each other. They all sure made a boatload of money back then...

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online