Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#246440 - 10/28/08 06:40 PM Re: Korg new OS
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Seems to be the only complaint, and not really a big one at that...

I'm noticing a lot of T2 owners going for the T3, so I guess the upgrade from one to the other is deemed to be substantial enough.

Firstly, it's only no big wup if you already don't use a 76. If you do, it's an insurmountable one. And I have already stated (and remain there) that were Yamaha to make a 76 S900, I would already have one!

And secondly, there are substantial numbers of T2 users NOT going to make the 'upgrade', as well, so I figure that issue is something of a 'push'.

Spin, spin, you Dervish, you!

#246441 - 10/28/08 06:55 PM Re: Korg new OS
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
This 'fanboy' is in no rush to go out and buy another arranger with WORSE capabilities than the one he already has, just for a few well articulated sounds

I can't blame you for waiting, Diki, but I think the new Roland will be much better than you think...it will have to be to compete in the home market...that's where the profits are, not the pro market...

I have a feeling it will be based on the E-series rather than the G, although it could also be a bigger and more powerful version of the GW-8...but time will tell.

The pro arranger market is a niche market that Korg is trying to garner for themselves with the PA2XPRO, which has far more scope and potential than the G70, if we're talking "pro" market...as you say, Korg is just getting started.

The PA-800 is a home keyboard, and should do very well if they can upgrade it to the new technolgy, but I doubt if it will interfere with Yamaha's fan base...not enough support for one thing, plus SA2 is still top dog, and will probably remain that way till the T4.

Then it starts all over again...

Ian

#246442 - 10/28/08 07:08 PM Re: Korg new OS
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
there are substantial numbers of T2 users NOT going to make the 'upgrade', as well, so I figure that issue is something of a 'push'.

Certainly there will be some that won't upgrade, but their numbers will be filled out by T1, PSR-3000, and perhaps a few E-80 owners...not to mention first time buyers, all who will want and enjoy the incredible technology and great support.

Ian

#246443 - 10/28/08 07:49 PM Re: Korg new OS
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
The PA-800 is a home keyboard
Ian

Yep, it sure is. It is quite at 'home' in being used as a pro keyboard during my daily performances - nothing tops it in my book With your talent, it's too bad you've haven't explored it in detail.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#246444 - 10/28/08 07:56 PM Re: Korg new OS
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Except for me and you

Thee very thing I LOVE about the Makeup Tools is that you can use it live... Play a sequence or style at the gig, and suddenly realize that the snare is a hair too loud, or the guitar part is too bassy, it's a snap to call up and adjust while you play, and then store at the end of the song. Fine tuning at the gig is the last step of polishing a mix, and the easier it is, the more likely you are to do it...

This goes WAY beyond simply dialing the volume of a style Track up or down. Just about everything, including the sounds within a kit, and all their EQ's, pitches, actual drum sounds, you name it, are VERY easily called up during playing, adjusted, and then stored. It's things like this that make me unable to change from Roland...

That's a nice no GREAT feature to have live for sure. IF I needed a live keyboard Arranger the YAMAHA TYROS would NOT be my first choice, I would have to play (or even find a G70) and or have kept the Korg. I have stated that on many occaions

The Yamaha is a studio unit solely. We will use tracks from it live but most of the tracks will go to the DAW before a CD. It's there where they will be tweaked, Effected and otherwise manipulated. IN a pinch the Yamaha is good enough IF one has a GREAT MIDI file to leave it alone and send it out on two outs. Others need four outs to seperate some tracks,

I would not use the Tyros live or any 61 keyboard for that matter. It looks unprofessional to me and certainly my wife who feels being hired as a keyboard player means nothing less than 88 weighted keys, with tracks if she needs them.

I would love to get my hands on a G70 for fun but they are no where to be found and my one and only chance to get one for $1750 a 120 miles away is long gone.

I love the Fantom but it is too redundant with what I already have in the studio. I don;t need the on board sequencer recorder.
When I was doing cruise ship gigs I did whole songs on the Triton and a laptop. But re voiced some when I got home.

IM really interested in the Motif's 6000 phrases and 4 arps. I may take a ride to GC and really give that a run. I would love to replace the RD700 with an X8. But I haven't mastered the Tyros yet and the Motif is far deeper. I'd rather play then be buried in print.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#246445 - 10/28/08 08:04 PM Re: Korg new OS
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Yep, it sure is. It is quite at 'home' in being used as a pro keyboard during my daily performances - nothing tops it in my book With your talent, it's too bad you've haven't explored it in detail.

My remark certainly wasn't meant as a knock against the PA-800, Zuki...we both know that many pros take full advantage of a "home" instrument, and in many ways, it is a more practical piece of kit than a "pro" instrument.

I haven't tried one yet(nor a PA2XPRO), so I really can't give a qualified opinion on it's performance(just listened to on-line demos), but it must be good if it is doing an admirable job for you...

I feel the same way about my S900...does all my arranger jobs perfectly.

Ian

#246446 - 10/28/08 08:23 PM Re: Korg new OS
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
[qupte]It's a piece of cake to remain the market leader when you have capabilities that no other arranger has. Basic, fundamental features. But that barricade has been broached. The walls are starting to crumble. And Yamaha, without a dominant technological edge, may have to reconsider the process of only making improvements in new models, when their competitors are doing it for FREE.[/quote]

Having owned the Korg I certainly cannot claim the Korg has caught up with the Tyros 3 on any appreciable level. They are DIFFERENT. IF you prefer the Korg sounds you like the Korg. If phantom power on a keyboard is a plus you like the Korg,(personally I would not trust a keyboard pre amp to be very good). If a dumbed down early generation TC HElicon harmonizer engine is your cup of tea you like the Korg, 76 keys....again Korg. Upgrades are great for Korg users. It keeps Korg from having to design a new keyboard, Updates are far less expensive, Especially if they do not have enough technology ready to create a whole new keyboard,

On the other Hand Yamaha HAD to create a new board simply because of the physical additions. Even SA2 required two new buttons.
How can Korg claim SA2 type voices when they have not added the samples necessary to create them (400 SPECIFIC to the voice) samples per SA2 voice)

But the bottom line ultimately is what comes OUT of a keyboard. What the end user hears, That's why I decided on the Yamaha. But sounds are subjective and features are not. The keyboard with the most features does NOT win if the ultimate sound is not acceptable to the creative musician generating their ideas.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#246447 - 10/28/08 08:30 PM Re: Korg new OS
zuki Offline

Ian,

I know you weren't I wish you could get your hands on one. You should see and hear this monster PA2XPro - unreal Whoever writes these styles is a genius!

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#246448 - 10/28/08 08:42 PM Re: Korg new OS
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Ian,

I know you weren't I wish you could get your hands on one. You should see and hear this monster PA2XPro - unreal Whoever writes these styles is a genius!

Yeah, I heard the styles were "unique" and had lots of movement in them....certainly you would have your own "sound" since a lot of arranger players are using Yamaha or Roland.

I rarely use unedited styles on my S900...I prefer to assemble my own and try and give them a bit of "movement" like you hear in the Korg...probably not as successfully as I'd like, but they do give me a bit of a different sound.

The PA2XPro styles should sound even better with the OS upgrade.

Ian

#246449 - 10/28/08 11:38 PM Re: Korg new OS
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
How can Korg claim SA2 type voices when they have not added the samples necessary to create them (400 SPECIFIC to the voice) samples per SA2 voice)

I am not sure you have been reading my posts carefully, Kingfrog. I quite specifically stated that Korg has not yet created the CONTENT for the new DNC technology (let's just call it SA, and stop beating around the bush!), but that it CAN be added to this arranger, not bought at considerable expense by HAVING to trade up to the next PA model.

It can also be added by the user themselves, should they be able to create the content themselves (which no Yamaha user can). Korg can certainly claim SA type content (they don't claim SA2, but I am still not quite sure of the difference other than the two buttons for triggers - Korg certainly allow that). There's not much yet, but it can be added. No word from Yamaha yet whether their voice Packs can ADD to the T3's SA2 voice content, yet.

But the technology now exists, it only awaits the content, and THEN (and not before) you will hear a considerable improvement in the sounds. It's not here yet. But it's knocking at the door (and not trying to sell you something!)

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online