SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#246299 - 10/27/08 04:10 PM Re: Why NO style GENERATION tools in Arranger Keyboards?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I just don't understand why Yamaha and other don't add those phrases and arps into the arranger? I guess this would be too difficult of a technology for average home users to grasp??

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#246300 - 10/27/08 04:14 PM Re: Why NO style GENERATION tools in Arranger Keyboards?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Theoretically you could connect a Motif midi out to a Tyros midi in and record the arps as multipads. When I have time I will try to do this and see how it works.

#246301 - 10/27/08 05:53 PM Re: Why NO style GENERATION tools in Arranger Keyboards?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Anybody tried the Style Composer in the Roland's...

About as easy as it can get to create styles, combine styles, modify styles. Add the Makeup Tools as finishing polish, you are done!

And style 'morphing' may be gone into the dustbin of great Roland features cruelly dropped, but the 'Cover Tools' function is surprisingly powerful, and can turn a style into something unrecognizable...

And then THAT can be combined with parts from other styles, similarly mangled... and once again, the finishing polish applied with the Makeup Tools header editing.

But, of course, you've actually got to TRY these features in the store before you buy it to have a clue how powerful they are. And most only spend an hour or two, running through the styles and OTS's. It's no wonder we get posts like this.

Mind you, there's ONE thing from olden days I'd LOVE to see a return of... simple 8th beat and 16th beat styles, with a 'swing' parameter you can adjust in realtime.

Man, I'd KILL for that!

#246302 - 10/28/08 12:04 AM Re: Why NO style GENERATION tools in Arranger Keyboards?
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
diki, i tought the ONE thing from old times you'd kill for is the chord sequencer...

i am sure you realize that working with roland's make-up and cover is only a workaround for this... the idea of introducing arps and beat generators in an arranger it seems to be just too much for now. the pads in yamaha and korg add a little bit of that, but obviosly we're not anywhere near karma...

of course roland's tools are great for mixing and changing and tweaking the existing patterns. but they do not create new ones...

#246303 - 10/28/08 05:45 AM Re: Why NO style GENERATION tools in Arranger Keyboards?
Rolman Offline

Loc: Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Anybody tried the Style Composer in the Roland's...

About as easy as it can get to create styles, combine styles, modify styles. Add the Makeup Tools as finishing polish, you are done!

And style 'morphing' may be gone into the dustbin of great Roland features cruelly dropped, but the 'Cover Tools' function is surprisingly powerful, and can turn a style into something unrecognizable...

And then THAT can be combined with parts from other styles, similarly mangled... and once again, the finishing polish applied with the Makeup Tools header editing.

But, of course, you've actually got to TRY these features in the store before you buy it to have a clue how powerful they are. And most only spend an hour or two, running through the styles and OTS's. It's no wonder we get posts like this.

Mind you, there's ONE thing from olden days I'd LOVE to see a return of... simple 8th beat and 16th beat styles, with a 'swing' parameter you can adjust in realtime.
Man, I'd KILL for that!

Create 12 intros, 12 endings, 12 variations and 18 fills, wherever they originate from. Take the Roland 'Composer, Converter and Make Up Tools' and then you'll get the best possible style. But Roland didn't know it themselves. That's the reason they made a bad business. (poor publicity)
Greeting
Peter

[This message has been edited by Rolman (edited 10-28-2008).]

#246304 - 10/29/08 07:40 PM Re: Why NO style GENERATION tools in Arranger Keyboards?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Al,
quite an intersting thought. You'd also need the ability to easily test the style part that you're working on with a song.
Technics used to have a style creator tool
( not random though) where for the drum tracks you'd scroll thru till you found the bass drum pattern you liked, then you added the snares etc etc. Then scroll thru a number of bass patterns, guitar patterns etc etc
Only problem was, when you wanted to try the pattern with a song , you had to save, leave the creation area to test it.. But from memory, I don't think you could then go back and edit the pattern further, in the same manner as it had been created ie by scrolling thru & picking different drum beats or choosing a different guitar pattern etc.

I'm sort of trying to do something similar by creating user pads.
Biab throws out dozens of different combinations ( variations). I've mainly been playing around with a couple of the newer jazz piano styles. Some of the stuff works, other times the pattern sounds too busy. Hard to tell whether the pattern is going to work with a particular song or not.
Problem is, again there's no way of testing.
If I type in the chord progression for the song in BIAB, to hear if the style will work, I won't get the same set of phrases when I just type in the Cmaj chord required to create the midifile , from which I create the korg style.

Think I may have solved my problem by creating pads for some of the instruments. Wouldn't bother with BIAB string pads, most are awful. Some of the drum patterns are fairly ordinary too. Bass lines are interesting , so are the jazz piano phrases.
Thinking of a combination of Korg & BIAB tracks. Use the Korg drums if possible, definately Korg strings.
My method of testing involves Jos's Busker software ie type in chord progression, I even type in a single melody line.
The software triggers the korg style, changes the chords, even plays the melody.
I just have to sit back , listen & choose the phrases I want to use in the style.
The pad, when I find the correct one is easily copied into the style & becomes part of the style.
Personally I find it too diffcult to concentrate on playing chords & melody , while trying to put a style together.
best wishes
Rikki

[/B][/QUOTE]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online