SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#246099 - 10/25/08 02:13 PM Should I buy the Tyros 3?
Swissman Offline

Loc: Moita, Portugal
I have managed to try a Tyros 3 today at a music store in Belgium (where I am temporarily working) and now I have mixed feelings about it.

I've spend about an hour trying the keyboard, which was hooked to the Tyros TRS-MS02 speakers (the same I am using in my Tyros 2 at home, so the sound quality was compared with a similar output).

In my opinion (and please note that I am an amateur, who plays at home for self entertainment and enjoyment after normal working days), the improvement from Tyros 2 to Tyros 3 is not so evident as some have reported here (and I read this forum every single day...).

I appreciated the layout, key bed quality and specially the display (the biggest improvement in my opinion). The new SA2 voices are ok, but sound availability is not a concern for me as I have other sources with good and enough sounds (like the G70, Triton, SY-85 and Sonic Cell).

I was expecting some improvement in the overall sound quality and the new drum sets, but besides the new SA2 and some synth and pad voices I couldn’t see any improvement. I left the store with the impression that the sound was very similar to what I already have with the Tyros 2.

My registrations (saved on a USB stick) worked smoothly, so I don't know what's the requirement for using the Tyros 2-Tyros 3 converter made available by YPKO. All my old styles worked well.

The new multi-pads from Tyros 3 can be used in Tyros 2, but the styles are not compatible (my Tyros 2 reports "Data hasn't been loaded properly").

If the new Tyros 3 had the equivalent to my G70 make-up tools (which allows me to manipulate the styles to a big extent) and the possibility to individually select octaves for the UP1, UP2 and UP3 voices (like in the G70), I would probably trade my Tyros 2 with a Tyros 3.

But now I am not so sure if I will change it.

And here comes my request for your usually honest and sound advice:

The price of the Tyros 3 in Belgium is 3499 Euros and they would trade my Tyros 2 for 1000 Euros. At the end, I would have to pay 2499 Euros.

Do you think this is a good trade, or should I keep my Tyros 2 (which sounds good enough to my ears when compared with the Tyros 3) and save the money to buy a PA800 when I will return to my home country next year (where I have seen a P800 in a store for 1800 Euros)?

Your advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Carlos

[This message has been edited by Swissman (edited 10-25-2008).]

#246100 - 10/25/08 02:32 PM Re: Should I buy the Tyros 3?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Keep the Tyros 2: 2499 euros to upgrade to the Tyros 3 is WAY too much and not worth the while. With the same amount of money (or even less) you can buy another keyboard and have access to a different set of sounds and styles.

#246101 - 10/25/08 02:32 PM Re: Should I buy the Tyros 3?
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Hi Carlos - I'm like you. Sittin' on the fence and not so sure. I won't stand to lose quite as much as you if I upgrade to the T3, but I expect that I would lose maybe $1000 to upgrade.

I haven't had the opportunity to see the T3 or play one, but the demos I have seen are impressive. Of course, hearing new styles is always impressive, and those SA2 voices are indeed a nice improvement.

In the end, I'd have to agree w/you....that the T2 still holds a lot of value. As a result, it's a difficult decision for sure. One that you will have to make based on carefully weighing what you are going to give up and what you are going to gain, and how much you will use the new features that T2 doesn't provide.

Best of luck w/your decision and keep us posted!

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#246102 - 10/25/08 02:43 PM Re: Should I buy the Tyros 3?
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Keep the T2. If you cannot hear the difference and the differences that are there are not noticeable or needed. There is absolutely no reason for you to buy the Tyros 3.

Feel good!!! You just saved a ton of money.
Pick up a Motif XS or another workstation modu;e if you want something new and different to add to what you already have
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#246103 - 10/25/08 02:48 PM Re: Should I buy the Tyros 3?
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by saxxman:
Hi Carlos - I'm like you. Sittin' on the fence and not so sure. I won't stand to lose quite as much as you if I upgrade to the T3, but I expect that I would lose maybe $1000 to upgrade.

I haven't had the opportunity to see the T3 or play one, but the demos I have seen are impressive. Of course, hearing new styles is always impressive, and those SA2 voices are indeed a nice improvement.

In the end, I'd have to agree w/you....that the T2 still holds a lot of value. As a result, it's a difficult decision for sure. One that you will have to make based on carefully weighing what you are going to give up and what you are going to gain, and how much you will use the new features that T2 doesn't provide.

Best of luck w/your decision and keep us posted!

Randy

In your case $1000 is worth the move in my opinion if you like the Yamaha boards in general.. Double the wave ROM, The sliders, hard drive, TFT screen and 200 plus more voices,100 new styles, the revamped EFX engine allowing separate EFX for each instrument in a style, intelligent guitar voicing...

749 Voices + 20 Organ Flutes + 480 XG Voices + 256 GM2 Voice + 35 Drum/SFX kits
23 mega vs 18
11 SA2 vs None
53 SA1 vs 42

More cool,live....Premium voices and voice pack expandable.

Verses

504 (486 Normal + 18 Mega) + 10 Organ Flute + 480 XG + 256 GM2 + 22 Drum kits + 6 SFX kits

yeah I think $1000 is worth it,The revamped EFX engine is worth 1/2 that alone

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 10-25-2008).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#246104 - 10/25/08 02:55 PM Re: Should I buy the Tyros 3?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Why the urge to upgrade?
Are you not completely satisfied in the Tyros2? If not...what is it lacking?

I buy a lot of boards too, but none to replace my choice (G70)..I buy only as a back up or a new toy...

I do not understand swapping out one Tyros for another....As many have mentioned not a lot of differences...it looks like folks are looking for something they don't have in their current board...

Just an observation...don't slam me , I am not in the mood.. I have to drive a long distance in the rain to my gig....ahh, but there sits my G70.. ..waiting for me..

#246105 - 10/25/08 04:11 PM Re: Should I buy the Tyros 3?
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Hey Guys - don't get me wrong - I LOVE the T2!!! Next year (yeah, when I retire, right?) HA HA.... I am going to record a dozen or so of my original songs. So having the best sounds from that standpoint is appealing to me. And the styles I would love to have too.

It's just like drivin' a car. The new gadgets are neat to have. I eventually may decide to upgrade, but for now, I'm staying w/the T2. And I'm still drivin' a '94 Mazda pickup!

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#246106 - 10/25/08 07:37 PM Re: Should I buy the Tyros 3?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
If you like what you hear from the Tyros2, and you cannot hear a significant difference between the T2 and the T3, there is absolutely no reason on earth to upgrade. Additionally, I can almost guarantee that within the next six months someone will have converted all the new T3 styles for use with the T2, S900 and PSR series of keyboards. They may not be exactly the same because of the difference in sound engines, but there will be enough for you to have fun with.

Good luck on whatever you decide upon,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#246107 - 10/25/08 08:14 PM Re: Should I buy the Tyros 3?
zuki Offline

You've answered your own questions, it seems. I'd say keep the T2 and add the PA800 (a board I have and absolutely love) and you'll have the best of two worlds

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#246108 - 10/25/08 09:36 PM Re: Should I buy the Tyros 3?
Dnj Offline

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online