SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#245993 - 10/23/08 06:35 PM Played T3
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
I had a chance to play the T3 at the local Sam Ash today.

I quickly drove home and hugged my PA2x!!!!!

I "Entertained" the thought of buying one (I had a T2 before the Pa2x for almost a year)but hearing that "Yamaha" sound again convinced me it was not for me.
The Articulation buttons are nice but they do not compensate for the "Uninspiring" sound.
Now .... before I get hung out to dry by the Yamaha Fanatics let me say, this is certainly a "Pro" KB for those who love Yamaha sounds and we all know playing either one professionally will get you the same pay at the end of the night!!!
But, to me, the Tyros 2 and now the 3 is the total opposite of "Live" sounding!! Not that it is bad but, as I stated before, uninspiring. On another note the keybed feels the same as the T2. And yes I played through very good monitors in stereo.
When you compare the two (Pa2xpro and Tyros3)at almost the same price:
Pa2x 76 pro keybed
T3 61 "OK" Keybed

Pa2x Balanced outputs, Balanced XLR Mic input input, Phantom power
T3 none of the above

Overall build quality? No comparison Pa2x hands down winner.

As for Phantom power ... I picked up the new EV PL84 condenser mic and it sounds great!! Especially at the $129 price point. It replaced my EV N/D767.

#245994 - 10/23/08 07:21 PM Re: Played T3
zuki Offline

Good news about your success with the phantom power in the 2X. I also have a Beta 87A I'll use in my studio with the 2X - what a machine Time to get some demos done now.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#245995 - 10/23/08 07:27 PM Re: Played T3
JCkeeys Offline

Zuki ... by the way Always enjoy your very informative posts!!
I'm sure the the EV PL84 is not in the same league with condenser mics in the $250.00 range (although I have never tried any) but this, my first experience with a condenser mike, paid off for me!!

#245996 - 10/23/08 08:26 PM Re: Played T3
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by JCkeeys:
I had a chance to play the T3 at the local Sam Ash today.

I quickly drove home and hugged my PA2x!!!!!

I "Entertained" the thought of buying one (I had a T2 before the Pa2x for almost a year)but hearing that "Yamaha" sound again convinced me it was not for me.
The Articulation buttons are nice but they do not compensate for the "Uninspiring" sound.
Now .... before I get hung out to dry by the Yamaha Fanatics let me say, this is certainly a "Pro" KB for those who love Yamaha sounds and we all know playing either one professionally will get you the same pay at the end of the night!!!
But, to me, the Tyros 2 and now the 3 is the total opposite of "Live" sounding!! Not that it is bad but, as I stated before, uninspiring. On another note the keybed feels the same as the T2. And yes I played through very good monitors in stereo.
When you compare the two (Pa2xpro and Tyros3)at almost the same price:
Pa2x 76 pro keybed
T3 61 "OK" Keybed

Pa2x Balanced outputs, Balanced XLR Mic input input, Phantom power
T3 none of the above

Overall build quality? No comparison Pa2x hands down winner.

As for Phantom power ... I picked up the new EV PL84 condenser mic and it sounds great!! Especially at the $129 price point. It replaced my EV N/D767.

For OMB work the PA2x is a better way to go without a doubt if you don;t want to carry a floor based TC Helicon M (which is much better than the one built into the Korg and generations newer technology)and has a far better pre amp and phantom power as well).

However for a simple plug and play set up with keyboard, a Beta 87, and a sound system the PA2x is the way to go.

The voices are more suited to live as you state environment as they are not already "mastered." The dual sequencer/MP3 player another great live feature. 76 keys are nice eliminating the need for a controller.

The only thing I disagree with is build quality. I found The sliders on the Yamaha were much smoother with no side wobble (and in a better location) The buttons on the Yamaha are big solid and lit up. The screen on the Yamaha is much better build quality (despite the lack of the motor which I never understood the need for)

The bottom line is you made the correct decision the first time unlike me who bought the Pa2x and decided the Tyros was a better fit for my needs ( songwriting and CD studio work) and took a $400 wallet wallop. I already have a nice preamp with phantom Power.

I would never use the Yamaha's vocal input for anything but scratch tracks (with head phones) while writing so I don;t have to light up the PC and the whole shebang until Im ready to track. The whole vocal input/harmonizer thing on the Tyros is an afterthought and gimmicky. The Digitech Vocalizer that came out 15 years ago compares well...

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 10-23-2008).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#245997 - 10/23/08 09:19 PM Re: Played T3
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Time to get some demos done now.

#245998 - 10/24/08 07:26 AM Re: Played T3
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
JC Keys, As a Pa2xPro owner thanks for your thoughts. I'm been driving myself a bit crazy deciding whether or not to purchase a T3. I've read all the pros and cons at every arranger forum known to man. It's such a subjective opinion, I have to hear the difference for myself. In a week I think I may finally get to demo one side by side of a Pa2xPro. I'm hoping OS2 will be available at that time as well, if it's not.................

#245999 - 10/24/08 08:33 AM Re: Played T3
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Curious to know if the harmonizer works when phantom power is engaged >..?

#246000 - 10/24/08 10:54 AM Re: Played T3
JCkeeys Offline

DANO ... The harmonizer works with the Phantom power on. In fact with increased sensitivity of the condenser ... it sounds better! At least to my ears.

#246001 - 10/24/08 11:01 AM Re: Played T3
JCkeeys Offline

Kingfrog ... My thoughts on the build quality (maybe quality is the wrong word)is the metal wood compared to plastic. In fact the only "Real" difference that matters to me is the keybed.
On another note I do not understand why anyone would think the T3 would be easy to transport than the PA2x?? I know the PA2x has a few more pounds but the T3 is no "Small" item!

[This message has been edited by JCkeeys (edited 10-24-2008).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online