SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#245935 - 10/24/08 06:46 AM Re: Just recorded on the G70
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
It's clearly a midifile, and an excellent one at that, because it reproduces almost note for note the original recording in the Getz-Gilberto LP.

There are only three faults:
1- The jazz guitar should be an acoustic guitar
2- the G-70 Alto Sax has too much reverb and the sample doesn't do justice to Stan Getz (but on the other hand no sample in the world could...)
3- the piano track is at times too loud, especially in the left hand (Jobim in this LP played in a much more subdued way, being almost too attentive to never get in the way and merely contenting himself to complement what Joao and Astrud Gilberto were singing or Stan Getz was playing).

Fran, I would GREATLY appreciate if you could point me to the source of this midifile, because I would love to make a bossa nova style with it.

Yamaha, Korg and Roland, please take note: this is the way a bossa nova style should sound.

Way !

#245936 - 10/24/08 08:38 AM Re: Just recorded on the G70
Dnj Offline

Instead of criticism why not post your own versions for comparison....this way we all learn, or is that too much to ask.

#245937 - 10/24/08 08:39 AM Re: Just recorded on the G70
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars
Words & Music by Antonio Carlos Jobim; (English translation by Gene Lees)
Recorded by Tony Bennett, 1963

D9 Fdim
Quiet nights of quiet stars, quiet chords from my guitar

Gm7 F#7 FM7 Dm7 FM7 Gm7 Am7 FM7
Floating on the silence that surrounds us.

Fm7 Em7 A7+
Quiet thoughts and quiet dreams, quiet walks by quiet streams,

D9 Dm7 Fdim
And a window looking on the mountains and the sea -- how lovely!
!

D9 Fdim
This is where I want to be, here, with you so close to me

Gm7 F#7 FM7 Dm7 FM7 Gm7 Am7 Gm7
Until the final flicker of life's ember.

Fm7 Fm Fm6 Em7 Am7 Dm7
I, who was lost and lonely, believing life was only

G7-9 Em7 A7+ Dm7
A bitter, tragic joke have found with you

G9 G7-9 C Bb9 A7+
The meaning of existence, oh, my love.

(Last time)

G9 G7-9 C Bb9 Fdim C(6)
The meaning of existence, oh, my love.

#245938 - 10/24/08 08:40 AM Re: Just recorded on the G70
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
What's funny is how fast it turned into an "it can't be you playing..., it must be an SMF" speculation SMF? Maybe, maybe not.. but how the thread goes is still funny
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#245939 - 10/24/08 09:26 AM Re: Just recorded on the G70
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Andrea..email me..

#245940 - 10/24/08 09:48 AM Re: Just recorded on the G70
Dreamer Offline

Fran,
you got mail.

#245941 - 10/24/08 10:06 AM Re: Just recorded on the G70
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
What's funny is how fast it turned into an "it can't be you playing..., it must be an SMF" speculation SMF? Maybe, maybe not.. but how the thread goes is still funny

No Squeak whats funny is all the Mr. Know it alls that never post any of their songs !
It's starting to go beyond funny & up to the Laughing Stock level...on top of that after that last Class Act "AMBUSH" scenario this forum has really showed its colors for sure.
Who are we to judge anyone's song postings?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-24-2008).]

#245942 - 10/24/08 10:10 AM Re: Just recorded on the G70
Dreamer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Instead of criticism why not post your own versions for comparison....this way we all learn, or is that too much to ask.

No, Donny, it's not too much to ask, at least speaking for me, but actually I don't understand your reaction because I liked this song a lot, to the point that compared it with the original recording -hence my criticism- and this is a thing that I seldom do with songs posted here, because in the majority of cases they are miles away from the original.

To my ears is 100% evident that this is not a style, because I know all the bossa nova styles from all the most common arranger keyboards and none of them comes so close to the flavor of an authentic -brazilian- bossa nova. All the styles I know are more or less derived from the bossa novas of the seventies, the kind made popular by Quincy Jones and the likes, and they are way overdone and "noisy" as hell. But listen to the simple perfection of the drum track of this song: just a hi-hat in the beginning and a cymbal ride in the second part, exactly like Milton Banana (the drummer in the original recording) did.
And, since you asked for it, if someone, commenting a song I have posted, would write something like: "Excellent [Andrea] WOW what a sound [your keyboard] has!! Its so live"
I would think that he simply trying to please me because is a friend, but a comment like yours would be totally useless to me, because:
a- would mean that the listener didn't take the time to listen with care
b- wouldn't help me a bit to improve musically.

#245943 - 10/24/08 10:17 AM Re: Just recorded on the G70
Dnj Offline

Andrea to my ears I thought the songs was fine & posted appropiatly friend or not.....I'm not a nit picker ...

I loved it plain & simple & couldnt care less about the inner workings or history of teh original.....change is good.

kind regards

dp

#245944 - 10/24/08 10:31 AM Re: Just recorded on the G70
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Well, whoever is actually playing the piece did a nice job.

If it's not Fran's SMF, then it might be nice for him to give credit to the maker.

If it is all of Fran playing, and he made the SMF as well as played over the top, I am impressed.

The sax playing is very well done, and even overcomes some of the limitations of the Sax sound.

Ian

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online