SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#245633 - 10/21/08 08:24 PM Re: Scott Yee so how did you like the Tyros 3 after your Demo?
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi Scott,
Thanks for the review. I have had my Tyros 3 for a week now - upgraded from the PSR3000 so it was a good change for me. I found your comments about the SA voices very interesting because today on my first gig with the T3 I felt like the "do it for you" effects actually got in the way of some of my playing. I also felt like it is going to take a lot of EQ tweaking to get the sound I like for the tunes I play. Overall though I am very pleased with my purchase and think the keyboard is a winner for Yamaha. I especially like the new display. I certainly agree that those who are quick to judge need to actually hear the keyboard in person first.

Hammer

#245634 - 10/21/08 08:27 PM Re: Scott Yee so how did you like the Tyros 3 after your Demo?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Many of the people on my daily email list have tyros 1 and tyros 2 and none of them are upgrading to tyros 3.
I have tyros 2 and Roland E 80 and will not be upgrading either.
these two work just fine for all my needs at this time,
Best to all,
Bebop

#245635 - 10/21/08 08:31 PM Re: Scott Yee so how did you like the Tyros 3 after your Demo?
Dnj Offline

Excactly Bill same results Im hearing could be a Yamaha DUD this tie around I hope not & maybe released too soon after T2?

#245636 - 10/21/08 08:34 PM Re: Scott Yee so how did you like the Tyros 3 after your Demo?
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:

That said, I think the T3 would be a must upgrade for T1 or PSR3000 owners, or 4 people into studio recording where mixing with sliders & subtle horn/guitar SA2 articulations would be especially useful. As primarily a live entertainer player though, I feel I'm able to achieve satisfyingly realitic instrument emulation with the Tyros2 and triggering SA voices via my .

Regards,

Scott

Scott[/B]

I believe that pretty much sums it up. If I were a Live Player I would not even play the T2 I would go directly to the Korg PA2x, Thats a live keyboard in every sense.

IN the Studio the T3 is in my opinion where it does its best work. IT has replaced no less than 5 sound modules and a Triton in mine. I can't see using those SA@ buttons live (but you can set them to play on auto like guitar noise etc)

Great review and sounds on ALL keyboards are subjective at best and referenced buy what you play the most. My wife Loves the Roland RD700 digital better than any Yamaha CP300.

The PA2x flute sounded less like a flute to me than the Tyros 2 or PSR900 patch....but to others the opposite may be true and no one is wrong.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#245637 - 10/21/08 08:35 PM Re: Scott Yee so how did you like the Tyros 3 after your Demo?
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

wow a dense compressed sound...no thanx.

I want a RAW LIVE Sound like I have now with in your face drums & bass baby YEAH!!

K O R G PA2x is the choice for you then....It has the live unpolished grit a live player would love.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#245638 - 10/21/08 08:37 PM Re: Scott Yee so how did you like the Tyros 3 after your Demo?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hammer,

I certainly agree about the EQ...I've been used to listening to my PSR-S900, and the Tyros3 has such a substantial sound, that it took me awhile to become accustomed to it, and then change the EQ and compression setting according to what I liked to hear.

There are a few suggested settings on YPKO that worked well for me.

BTW, don't mind Donny...he's firmly ensconced in the Roland camp for the time being, and everything else is unfit as far as he's concerned...even if he hasn't played it or heard it "live".

Congratulations on your new instrument.

What sound system are you using?

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 10-21-2008).]

#245639 - 10/21/08 11:29 PM Re: Scott Yee so how did you like the Tyros 3 after your Demo?
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
As a common or garden non-pro board player,I totally understand the above rich comments about the Tyros3...and any other KB , for that matter, because the Pros like most of you here are in TWO different worlds at the same time. Part of you is a trained professional musician who lives to HEAR the sounds you are making and that is sometimes more important than the other half of you which is an ENTERTAINER.!
For the vast majority of your audiences, the sounds they like to hear are just for fun whereas our own ears want to hear MUSIC and sounds which are as near perfect as possible.
That is why my own appraisal of the Tyros3 is one of sheer amazement in its state of the art simulation of the real instruments (because most of the sounds ARE real, sampled!)
I am not a professional i.e. I don't play in order to make a living, so my enjoyment of music is always stronger because I can take time to listen to the keyboard and marvel at its power.
That is also why I had the wonderful experience last week of attending a live demo of the Tyros3 by Peter Baartmans, Yamaha's (and possiby the world's) top demonstrator of Yamaha machines.
I was in total awe of the man. His artistry is truly awesome and his knowledge of Tyros3 is also to be wondered at. His demo shows all the newer aspects of the board and in particular the ART1 and ART2 additional tabs.
My point is that if you are first and foremost a LISTENING musician then Tyros3 is for you. But if you are firstly an ENTERTAINER you can entertain with ANY KB and I envy you all
cheers
Eddie Johnson

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#245640 - 10/22/08 01:42 AM Re: Scott Yee so how did you like the Tyros 3 after your Demo?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
First thing I'd do if I could compare T2 to T3 is turn OFF all the compression and EQ...

You want to find out if there's a REAL difference between the two? Make sure you are hearing apples to apples...

For me, the Tyros's are squashed enough at the sample level without doing it all again at the mix buss

#245641 - 10/22/08 05:15 AM Re: Scott Yee so how did you like the Tyros 3 after your Demo?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
K O R G PA2x is the choice for you then....It has the live unpolished grit a live player would love.

I gave Korg a shot many times through the years most recently the Pa800....unless the change the OS folder system & increase their overall Style library its definitly Not a contender for my needs....although I will say Korg this time around has made some pretty nice significant changes with many features for the gigging musician. Ive played & gigged Korgs since the early 80's my first was the Korg SAS20 personal KB http://www.korgpa.com/pa_root/en/extra/korgstory_sas20.html.

PS: Ian owning a t2/s900 etc, etc, ....& hearing the T3 live is NOT going to change the fact that the MFD doesn't save transpose, VH unit is a toy kazoo, the ecompressed sound is really unimpressive to many new owners. As for touting Roland?.....Unlike you Ian I will say it like it is even if I bash teh so called mighty Yamaha KB....Please Ian read your brainwashed Yamaha posts from the past, nuff said.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-22-2008).]

#245642 - 10/22/08 05:45 AM Re: Scott Yee so how did you like the Tyros 3 after your Demo?
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Ian,

I use two M-Audio BX5a speakers connected directly to the keyboard outputs. I seldom play rooms requiring more sound then they can produce. I am toying with moving to the Bose L1 system - but I really think that might be overkill for my needs. I only play senior gigs anymore - usually 5-6 each week. I quit playing major gigs many years ago - did studio work, symphony work, a lot of big band gigs etc - played with the Glen Miller band when Jerry Grey had them at the Fairmont hotel in Dallas way back in the very late 60's. Just got tired of the constant hazzle and walked away from it all one new years eve - I actually was a drummer - lot of setup and breakdown time at the gigs.

Anyway, thanks for the reply - I will look on the other forum you mentioned and find the EQ info.

By the way, I doubt if Kingfrog or Donny are on target here - I would hardly call this keyboard a dud. But then, all this really depends on the type music being played doesn't it?

Hammer

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online