SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#245623 - 10/21/08 03:59 PM Re: Scott Yee so how did you like the Tyros 3 after your Demo?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
PS...one Korg owner I was talking to has already purchased a T3 since we were last in touch.

Well I know its not me......

#245624 - 10/21/08 04:11 PM Re: Scott Yee so how did you like the Tyros 3 after your Demo?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
We'll hear Scotts in-depth report very soon dont you worry.... I'm sure, now that he has had a chance to A/B them both intensely.People want the truth.

Well Donny, when it comes to sound it's more a matter of personal opinion and taste than any truth, so I'm just going to share my honest 'opinions' here.

Yep, I was talking to him today on Skype.He's reviewed it pretty thoroughly.Ian
[/QUOTE]

Hi Ian . Really enjoyed our tete to tete chat on Skype voice chat today. And yes, Ian and both came away with very similar Tyros3 evaluation conclusions. I really like the newly added T3 features (sliders & new SA2 voices) but my primary interest in even possibly upgrading was for an improved piano sample. Regretfully, I came away underwhelmed, even after spending 30 minutes unsuccessfully tweeking the EQ (reverb) & compressor settings to get it to sound better. That said, I feel I've got my Tyros2 Piano voice tweaked to sounding far better On T2 than I could get on Tyros3.

ONE THING I noticed right off when comparing T2/T3 side by side is the T3 has a distinctly DIFFERENT 'overall sound' than T2, with the T3 warmer (deeper) vs T2 brighter (sparkly). I prefer the T2's overall sound, but that may have more to do with simply being more accustomed to its sound engine more.

As much as I enjoyed playing the Tyros3 and its new sounds & features, as a live player, I found the new SA2 voices and it's button activation (instrument noises, taps etc) a bit gimicky, especially because my left hand is already kept busy 100% of the time playing chords & progressions and bass line fills between chords. Interestingly enough, both DrBob & TomTomSF who watched me play T3 felt I was implementing the SA2 type sounds thru my (velocity senstive) playing technique alone, and acheivable with Tyros2 SA voices.

That said, I think the T3 would be a must upgrade for T1 or PSR3000 owners, or 4 people into studio recording where mixing with sliders & subtle horn/guitar SA2 articulations would be especially useful. As primarily a live entertainer player though, I feel I'm able to achieve satisfyingly realitic instrument emulation with the Tyros2 and triggering SA voices via my fingers alone.

In conclusion, I think everyone needs to actually play a Tyros3 for themself and evaulate their personal needs & priorities before making any KB upgrade descion. In the meantime, enjoy the KB you own and bring out your musical best with it.

Regards,

Scott

Scott

#245625 - 10/21/08 04:26 PM Re: Scott Yee so how did you like the Tyros 3 after your Demo?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Shame some of us haven't learned not to spew it out, as well...

I know...maybe there's a group you and I can join?

HA

Hyperbole Anonymous

or AHA

Advanced Hyperbole Anonymous.

Bring a friend.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 10-21-2008).]

#245626 - 10/21/08 04:38 PM Re: Scott Yee so how did you like the Tyros 3 after your Demo?
Dnj Offline

Scott,

Nice to talk with you again as usual.. Also thank you for your indepth review of the Tyros 3, I'm sure coming from a pro like yourself this info will surly be absorbed by many perspective buyers & help them to decide if they really want to purchase one or not too.

L8tr

#245627 - 10/21/08 05:28 PM Re: Scott Yee so how did you like the Tyros 3 after your Demo?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Here's a quick followup update to my evaluation above. After talking with Ian again on the phone, we found more accurately descriptive words for the overall sound of Tyros3 vs Tyros2. The T3 sounds "thicker and dense", vs the T2 sounding brighter with more transparency and detail. - Scott

#245628 - 10/21/08 06:14 PM Re: Scott Yee so how did you like the Tyros 3 after your Demo?
ianmcnll Offline

T'was good to talk with you again, Scott and I highly value your impressions of the Tyros3.

It does have a more dense and thicker sound...I would call it more robust and powerful to be even more specific.

I have also discovered that with adjustments of the EQ and compressor, different settings will give us very different Tyros, and one can achieve a wide range of overall sound ranging from the aforementioned "robustness" to the "transparent and detailed, and everything in between.

It is a Tyros that will appeal to an even broader range of users, but still have that wonderful characteristic "Yamaha" sound.

I'm still knocked over by the SA2 Saxes...even without using the Art1 and Art2 buttons, the sounds respond very realistically...with the buttons, one can add even more.

It sure has created a lot of excitement, both on the forums and to the people to which I have already demoed it here at my studio.

Ian

#245629 - 10/21/08 07:12 PM Re: Scott Yee so how did you like the Tyros 3 after your Demo?
Dnj Offline

I have found the opposit 50/50 at best through many emails & phone calls........some love it and many dislike it & wish they didnt buy it & kept the Tyros2...its is what it is....

dense?

#245630 - 10/21/08 07:37 PM Re: Scott Yee so how did you like the Tyros 3 after your Demo?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:

dense?

More like robust, substantial, beefier.

Definitely a stronger sound.

This one responds to EQ'ing more than Tyros2, so there is more scope to the overall sound.

Play one, Donny...then you'll know.

Ian

#245631 - 10/21/08 07:58 PM Re: Scott Yee so how did you like the Tyros 3 after your Demo?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Play one, Donny...then you'll know.

Ian

wow a dense compressed sound...no thanx.

I want a RAW LIVE Sound like I have now with in your face drums & bass baby YEAH!!

#245632 - 10/21/08 08:12 PM Re: Scott Yee so how did you like the Tyros 3 after your Demo?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:

wow a dense compressed sound...no thanx.

I want a RAW LIVE Sound like I have now with in your face drums & bass baby YEAH!!

Did you hear it "live" yet Donny?

Play one, and then give a opinion that has some substance to it...

Ian

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online