SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#245546 - 10/20/08 08:52 PM Re: ROLAND E60...... I'm Loving this Keyboard Big Time....
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Like Zuki, you finally have found your Holy Grail, Donny.

It's nice to see you settle into something you can keep for some time.

Congratulations and long may your jib draw.

Ian

#245547 - 10/20/08 09:01 PM Re: ROLAND E60...... I'm Loving this Keyboard Big Time....
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
OK, where can I find an E 60?

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#245548 - 10/20/08 09:07 PM Re: ROLAND E60...... I'm Loving this Keyboard Big Time....
Dnj Offline

Joe between SZ dealers AJ, Frankieve, George Kaye, I'm sure you can dig one up for sure.

#245549 - 10/20/08 10:10 PM Re: ROLAND E60...... I'm Loving this Keyboard Big Time....
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Donny....I didn't know you bought an E-60? I didn't even know you were a Roland afficianado?

So there's another keyboard I can throw into the equation of "what to buy!"

My instinct tells me that if I had them all laid out in front of me (G-70/E-50/E-60/SD5/Tyros3/Korg PA series) I would go for the Roland. Mostly because, IMHO, they've been top dog on the arranger market for probably 25 of the last 30 years I've been buying them. Good dance styles, and......I love their trumpets!

But.......I'm not buying anything this time around until I've auditioned them all.

Lucky

#245550 - 10/21/08 12:18 AM Re: ROLAND E60...... I'm Loving this Keyboard Big Time....
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I"ve just listened to those demos again. Is the piano sound really representative of what it sounds like live? Or can it be tweaked to sound as good as, say a PSR2000 or even a $300 YPG235 as far as that goes? The demos I hear makes the piano sound kind of tinky to me. Some of the guitars I've heard on line sound kind of lacking quality also. This is not meant as a cut but rather an observation.
http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/List/MediaList/0,,CNTID%25253D5014662%252526CTID%25253D205200,00.html

I never spent much time on the G70, but the online stuff makes the piano sound pretty good. I am assuming the piano on the E50/60 is noticibly different?

#245551 - 10/21/08 12:37 AM Re: ROLAND E60...... I'm Loving this Keyboard Big Time....
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I've learned to be wary of online demos. I'm thinking from who I see liking the E50/60 that it must sound pretty good or can be made to sound more the way an individual would want it to sound.

I learned my lesson with the KN2600. Fantastic sounding online demo. In person that kb really sucked IMHO.

#245552 - 10/21/08 01:05 AM Re: ROLAND E60...... I'm Loving this Keyboard Big Time....
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
E50/60 has no eq whatsoever, except for the MFX effects, and that one is only for keyboard sounds (upper and lower), not styles.

The sounds are great, the styles even better; for a live player it's a wonderful keyboard (also for studio in fact) but i hate not having the roland's previous "orchestrator". the sounds samples are not exactly like E80, quality wise, but they are ok. I like them better than yamaha's anyway. drums are very good. unfortunatelly, there is no user sound area, any sound you tweak has to be saved as UPG.

the keybed is great indeed. i like it very much, it's better than many other more expensive keyboards.

the OS and features are quite easy to understand, but i wish there were more of them. i would've loved an assignable slider at least.

just as donny said, it's not exactly a ready-to-play-right-out-of-the-box keyboard, you can use it also like that, but it's very nice that you can tweak a style with ease beyond recognition, for example. or you can create styles from midi files with no additional software. or you can use the style composer. or cover function. alot of great tools, no question about that.

#245553 - 10/21/08 08:22 AM Re: ROLAND E60...... I'm Loving this Keyboard Big Time....
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
There are a lot of pianos in an E60... more than a G70, in fact.

They DO have the G70's 'GrandX' main piano in there, labeled 'Classic Piano' but the voice programming is too dark. You need to open out the filter a bit before it sounds more like the G70.

All you Yamaha guys are so addicted to those thin sparkly ones that possibly the Roland demos emphasize that type, who knows..? But better ones are in there.

And also, I'd like to say 'Congratulations'... It only took you guys nearly three years to discover this gem...

Now I guess all you'll do is bitch about it not being a G70!

Listen, if Donny gushing about it is enough to convince a few of you to actually bother to TRY the damn thing, so be it. At least there MIGHT be an upside to this. But remember him gushing about the PA800? Or the PSR 3k? Or everything else he has at the time...

It won't last. It never has...

#245554 - 10/21/08 08:31 AM Re: ROLAND E60...... I'm Loving this Keyboard Big Time....
Dnj Offline

Thank you Diki for the kudos....as you know even through the hard times with all these other so called great arrangers......aside from the weight of the G70 which only due to my very hectic in & out gig schedule I always stated I loved its sound quality & features...I also had to endure day after day of grueling reconfirmation of these facts by my Buddy Fran
Which are honestly so true......another factor that brought me over the top is as a singer first....the new TC Helicon harmony M unit allows me to play a KB without a vocal processor now & still have Superior Vocals & harmony, couple that with the E60 & I'm in heaven. We'll talk more at the jam OK?

------------------
------------
Donny

#245555 - 10/21/08 08:52 AM Re: ROLAND E60...... I'm Loving this Keyboard Big Time....
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
We'll talk more at the jam OK?

What, about your new T3?

I'm only kidding, but you HAVE sort of set this up yourself, haven't you?

Compared to most on this forum, I feel spectacularly unimaginative when it comes to gear... I know what I like, and when I find it, I don't try to convince myself that something a bit better MIGHT exist, if only I keep looking for it. For me, the journey isn't about the car... it's about the places you go with it

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online