SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#245381 - 10/19/08 09:26 PM OT - What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Hi SZ Guys and Gals – I hope y’all are already booked for the big night, but in this case, …it’s the song! A few weeks ago, I commented on here that I was passing on the T3 upgrade to save my coin for a curved soprano sax. Well, I came across a nearly new Chinese “knock off” for an unbelievable $154 on Ebay last week. I have a straight Selmer Mark VI which I have owned since the 70’s. The Ebay horn I got is a “Selman” – amazing how the marketeers are at it, huh?

I got the new “toy” 3 days ago and I have been pretty much attached to it since then. For the money, it was a quite amazing purchase. I was so excited about the deal I got and the sweet sound of this horn that I went ahead and recorded 4 tunes today (all are on my web site). But here’s the one that showcases the sound of the “curvie” best of the four songs to my ears. I honestly cannot believe the difference in the way this horn sounds and responds to my playing. It’s much more like my alto in response than the (Selmer) straight soprano I have played for years.

At any rate, those of you who like the sax sound might enjoy listening to my new friend. Here’s the link:
http://www.box.net/shared/ojbbrgpyo5

Now I’m already scheming to get second “curvie”.

Hope you like my rendition of an absolutely gorgeous song.

Randy www.saxyguy.com

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#245382 - 10/19/08 09:50 PM Re: OT - What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Nice one, Randy...

How did you make the track?

#245383 - 10/19/08 10:03 PM Re: OT - What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Diki - Thanks! The track is a karaoke track and it had a clarinet solo, which I had to "extricate".... In this case, I used Cool Edit to mod the track. I replaced the clarinet solo with a section from the first chorus.

Once the track was done I moved it to my Korg 16-track recorder and played the sax part. Then I exported the whole track back to Cool Edit for some tweaking. I spent about 7 hours doing the 4 songs that I did today.

The soprano really surprised me. I expected a honking goosey sound and terrible intonation. I am shocked the horn sounds as well as it does for a real rock-bottom instrument.

Thanks again for listening!

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#245384 - 10/20/08 06:47 AM Re: OT - What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Randy, well that settles that with the live Super Articulation of your new Sax, you won't need a Tyros3 Your usual nice work and who would think that was $149 knock off Sax.

#245385 - 10/20/08 06:50 AM Re: OT - What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Wonderful job, Randy! I love your phrasing on the sax and, considering the importance this instrument has had on the evolution of jazz and contemporary music, would like to dig this subject more.
I have a book called "Saxophone patterns - John Coltrane", by Eric Dannewitz and love also what musicians like Stan Getz and Phil Woods have done. Can you advice any other sax player to listen to in order to develop a sense for melodic phrasing/improvising, especially when playing ballads?

#245386 - 10/20/08 08:57 AM Re: OT - What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Great tone! Had Jamie listen to it, and he said it was very nice!

After a set-up and some "fine tuning", my $200.00 Guitane copy (guitar) sounds much better than the ones that are $1000.00 and more.

Sometimes, inexpensive imported instruments will surprise you.

Of course, talent like you have "can't hurt"!

Russ

#245387 - 10/20/08 09:23 AM Re: OT - What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Staying Home...Turned down a Gig In San Diego
I hate the hassle of flying anymore and too many hours not enough money for 10 hours worth of flying, 10 hours in a hotel. The wife will probably work a local gig though.

I'm over traveling

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 10-20-2008).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#245388 - 10/20/08 09:52 AM Re: OT - What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Nice job Randy ... would have never known it was a "cheapie" ...

t.

#245389 - 10/20/08 10:06 AM Re: OT - What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
Wonderful job, Randy! I love your phrasing on the sax and, considering the importance this instrument has had on the evolution of jazz and contemporary music, would like to dig this subject more.
I have a book called "Saxophone patterns - John Coltrane", by Eric Dannewitz and love also what musicians like Stan Getz and Phil Woods have done. Can you advice any other sax player to listen to in order to develop a sense for melodic phrasing/improvising, especially when playing ballads?

Andrea ... try listening to Paul Desmond, http://www.puredesmond.ca/
especially some of his work with Ed Bickert - The "PURE DESMOND" and "THE PAUL DESMOND QUARTET LIVE" albums; Desmond with Jim Hall; and the "DUETS" album with Dave Brubeck...

t.

#245390 - 10/20/08 10:14 AM Re: OT - What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Thank you, Tony!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online