SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#245367 - 10/19/08 08:35 PM G-70 owners: basic G-70 lesson needed
Lucky2Bhere Offline

I'm going to look at the G-70 version 3 soon. It's quite a drive for me, so I want to make sure everything is "in place" before I even go out the door.

In case the dealer is not sure how to play it, can someone give me just the basics on how to get it up and running.

I'm not concerned about the Vocoder, D-beam, or any of the frills. Just how do I call up a right and left hand instrument, the dance style, and adjust the tempo of the dance style.

I'm planning on spending 2-3 hours putting it through it's paces. I don't want to go there and have to spend those 2-3 hours figuring out the operating system. Is there anything else I would need to know that might be a road-block to my test drive?

Thanks,

Lucky

#245368 - 10/19/08 09:02 PM Re: G-70 owners: basic G-70 lesson needed
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
There are three EASY PLAY buttons to the right of the display.

If you call up PIANO. it will call up the piano sound, set the keyboard mode to whole keyboard, and engage the Pianostyle chord recgnition (which needs at least three notes to change a chord, so you can still play runs without it going crazy.

If you call up ARR, it will split the keyboard, engage the left side to track the chords, and engage Intell mode (which is a cross between One Finger and Full chord modes, either will work)

After choosing the mode, you can then call up styles from the style section and the modes won't change. Two taps on the Style Part button (to the right of the sliders) brings up a mixer page where the style's sounds have icons at the top to tell you which part is which. A tap on these icons immediately mutes the Part.

Selecting sounds is easy, just hit the button for the Keyboard Part you want to change, the little green light above the main Part button lights up (all on the lower right side, labeled Keyboard Part), then just select the tones from the tone groups. There are a LOT, and some of the better ones are a few pages in, so try as many as you can...

It really IS the easiest to operate OS I have ever seen. Most everything does exactly what you would think it does...

Give the OTS's a try, while you are playing.... but they will ALWAYS split the keyboard and select INTEL mode as default - there is software to change all this if you decide you need the OTS's (stored with the style) a different way.

Hope this helps...

#245369 - 10/19/08 09:23 PM Re: G-70 owners: basic G-70 lesson needed
Dnj Offline

Lucky, your making the right choice.....

Good luck

Your gonna love the G70 its a wonderful arranger. let us know about your experience.

#245370 - 10/19/08 09:41 PM Re: G-70 owners: basic G-70 lesson needed
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
"Give the OTS's a try, while you are playing.... but they will ALWAYS split the keyboard and select INTEL mode as default - there is software to change all this if you decide you need the OTS's (stored with the style) a different way."

Where do you get this software? Does it work on E50?
Thanks,
Don

#245371 - 10/19/08 09:47 PM Re: G-70 owners: basic G-70 lesson needed
Diki Offline

It's the Session Manager software, available in limited form (no bulk batch capability) for free at Roland-arranger.com (it has it's own forum), and a full version is a modest fee.

It adds amazing capabilities to the E and G series, including the long needed User Tone capability, where you can store banks of your favorite Tones, along with all their voice edits, effects settings and EQ adjustments, and drag and drop them into registrations for transfer to the arranger...

You can use it in 'batch mode', where a parameter change in one registration (UPG), for instance a split point of mode change, can be copied into every UPG and style OTS in one go! (in the full version)... AWESOME!

It's a 'must-have'...

#245372 - 10/19/08 09:57 PM Re: G-70 owners: basic G-70 lesson needed
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
GREAT! I will try it tomorrow. The golf course is closed on Monday.
This will address most of the things that I dislike about E50. Now if we can program a good break/fill . . .
DonM

#245373 - 10/20/08 11:44 AM Re: G-70 owners: basic G-70 lesson needed
Diki Offline

My workaround is to do a break/mute at the start of the bar, then towards the end, kick a fill button... Voilå! a 'break/fill'!

Yeah, I know it's not perfect!

It's also fairly easy to turn a fill into a break/fill, as long as you know where in the fill structure you want it. Edit the style, take the fill you want to use, and erase the first two beats or so, erase most of the ACC and just leave bass and drums... voilå!

A REAL break/fill.

If you have MIDI pedals, each of the fills can be addressed individually, so it could be 'on demand' with a bit of work...

I've also used Intro 1 as a break/fill, as it sometimes has a fill to come in. At least the count-in makes for a more drummer like break, as they rarely go totally silent

Customize your styles, and a lot of doors open up. I rarely use the pre-programmed Intros, so they are easily turned into break/fills... with the advantage that you have a different one for each variation (Yamaha and Korg don't do that). Using Intros, you lose the 'instant on' part, but breaks are usually on the 'one', so hitting the Intro switch the bar BEFORE you want the break/fill gets easy enough.

You'd be surprised at what you can make these things do... R-A.com has a plethora of these kinds of tips and tricks...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online