SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#245227 - 10/19/08 10:23 AM Re: Arrangers vs. SMF
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
This morning I saw a container of chocolate pudding in my Ice Box (grin), it was sealed and nicely packaged. My thoughts traveled from packaged pudding-- to instant pudding-- to stirring that great stuff on a burner in a saucepan. You had to keep stirring and made sure it didn’t overcook. Then you got to like the pot. Ahhhhhhhh.

Tell me we have not lost something --- Yes, instant made things easier and packaged pudding made it ever so convent, but we did lose something. What that something is may be different for each one of us.

Live acoustic music – to bands with amplifiers – to lip sinking – editing film and sound tracks – to editing the qualities of a voice – to back tracks – to karaoke, and the much more. What we see and hear may not be what is.

No condemnation here, this is progress and we have been given so much, I’m thankful – but if all you can see is what we have gained and not what we have lost, I then would have to consider the mind to be closed and limited.

No all this stuff is not bad, it’s great, embrace it, but please leave room for the whole picture. The word Karoake has so many meanings to so many and those opinions are all are valid in their circle.

Me, I like it SMF – but I love to play live, it’s mostly me. I have downloaded midi files and spent a lot of time reworking them. Not bad, at least they are more of me. BUT – It took so much time away from my playing, I was beginning to forget why I bought the keyboard.

In My Humble Opinion, John C.

#245228 - 10/19/08 10:59 AM Re: Arrangers vs. SMF
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I don't think you're that perceptive to know what I'm thinking, or that incredibly keen to glean from my words my likes and dislikes.

Distaste for Karaoke?

Not at all...everything has it's place.

Ian

Quote:

Personally, the "phony" starts for me when I see someone singing, and then walking away from the keyboard as it is still playing.

That's Karaoke, baby, plain and simple, and all the so called showmanship, ducky hats, top hats and smarmy charmy singing on this green earth can't hide how utterly amateurish and phony it appears, and one of the major reasons why arranger players get a bad rap.

Ian

IAN One does not need to be Kreskin or a mind reader to take from that quoted statement of your distaste being compared to Karaoke when the very definition of "Karaoke" is made clear by the very use of an Arranger as the "device" on sings to!!

IF you don;t sing you are safe I suppose from the humiliation you fear. I would conclude from your won statements without a doubt you are "Karaphobic"......

Arrangers are not getting the bad rap you fear is true....being compared to Karaoke which DOES get a bad rap is your worst nightmare. Therefore you don't get up while playing suggesting the audience is "fooled" into believing you have ten arms and 100 fingers going......

ITs a device that plays arrangements one sings to...(or plays to) Its a device that has a bad name because it replaces real musicians for the financial benefit of the OMB. and the owner of the establishment hiring them. JUST LIKE KARAOKE.

It is going to have a bad rap if you think so no matter, so get up and really be an entertainer. Involve your audience. Encourage them to sing along! Clap. BE a complete entertainer rather than a sophisticated live jukebox!!

Its about entertainment. Thats what people hire. Otherwise create a playlist on CDs or hire a DJ....

Anything else would suffice s a pianist playing on a babygrand at a cocktail party.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 10-19-2008).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#245229 - 10/19/08 11:13 AM Re: Arrangers vs. SMF
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:

IAN One does not need to be Kreskin or a mind reader to take from that quoted statement of your distaste being compared to Karaoke when the very definition of "Karaoke" is made clear by the very use of an Arranger as the "device" on sings to!!

Sorry Kreskin...er...I mean...Kingfrog, but you still are not cluing in.

I don't dislike Kareoke...neither do I like it...it merely "exists".

The "phony" I'm referring to was plainly stated...read carefully.

And no, I don't get up while the instrument is playing...I'm too busy playing it.

Perhaps it's easier for you, Kingfrog...so hop to it.

Ian

#245230 - 10/19/08 02:34 PM Re: Arrangers vs. SMF
Dnj Offline

Ian the purist listen to me ....
I am a singer first....& a damn good musician also......unlike you I do it all & utilize all that is available in today's world of musical technology, I can play live KB, I can compose music, I can sing to back up tracks commercial edited or originals....dont make a bit of difference to me .. I also DJ when needed to get the job done....its called Entertaining.
I call it brilliant! & proud of it.
& BTW with no offense, none of yours or anyone else's purist BS phases me in the least, I seen them all come & go, because I know what I have & it works for me ..
Now can we stop the IM better then you, I play better then you, My Kb is better then yours, I do it better then you, I know it all & you dont, pissing contest sheeeeeesh when does it end?!

#245231 - 10/19/08 03:10 PM Re: Arrangers vs. SMF
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Ian the purist listen to me ....
I am a singer first....& a damn good musician also......unlike you I do it all & utilize all that is available in today's world of musical technology, I can play live KB, I can compose music, I can sing to back up tracks commercial edited or originals....dont make a bit of difference to me .. I also DJ when needed to get the job done....its called Entertaining.
I call it brilliant! & proud of it.
& BTW with no offense, none of yours or anyone else's purist BS phases me in the least, I seen them all come & go, because I know what I have & it works for me ..
Now can we stop the IM better then you, I play better then you, My Kb is better then yours, I do it better then you, I know it all & you dont, pissing contest sheeeeeesh when does it end?!

Don't flatter yourself, Donny...no one was talking about you.

Ian

#245232 - 10/19/08 03:16 PM Re: Arrangers vs. SMF
Dnj Offline

Ian at least your consistent

#245233 - 10/19/08 03:21 PM Re: Arrangers vs. SMF
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Ian at least your consistent

I owe it all to my parents, especially my mother and father.

#245234 - 10/19/08 06:13 PM Re: Arrangers vs. SMF
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
I owe it all to my parents, especially my mother and father.

Are you really really afraid to be deemed "phony" if you leave the keyboard and let it play on for the benefit of the audience? Look mom no hands!!! DO you think the audience is that stupid to believe you are playing all those parts? Surely not.
you would be considered a "phony" because you clearly see others in that manner. That's too bad because being glued behind a keyboard that's playing most of the parts by itself would make me as an audience member wonder if you were handicapped and could not get up and use the room to your act's benefit.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#245235 - 10/19/08 06:21 PM Re: Arrangers vs. SMF
Dnj Offline

Besides playing the keyboard....
Taking a wireless Mic out into the audience once in a while during your act while the music is playing while your singing along with a SMF, Mp3, CD, or what ever who cares when your singing in a beautiful young lady's eyes, or making a happy senior singalong, it shows your versatility & showmanship to the audience & they love it.

#245236 - 10/19/08 06:25 PM Re: Arrangers vs. SMF
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
Are you really really afraid to be deemed "phony" if you leave the keyboard and let it play on for the benefit of the audience?

Nope. But I wouldn't do it.

It wouldn't sound very good as I don't use pre-recorded backing or SMF....somebody has to stay and direct the "band".

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 10-19-2008).]

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online