SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#24509 - 12/28/03 09:38 AM Need info on JV-90
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey!!!
I'm interested in finding out more info on the JV-90 synth and possibly buying one. I'm currently using an old Roland RD-200 Piano as a controller (and for the Electric Piano sounds) and also a Roland P-55 Piano Module. I'd like to find a 76 key controller with a good Grand Piano sounds that doesn't weigh more than my RD (37 lbs). My RD has been re-built 3-4 times (contacts) and I'd just like to get into a slightly newer technology. (Like....welcome to the 90's I guess). I've had an A-70 and liked the feel. Does the JV-90 have a similar feel to the A-70? Similar weight?

Also, what expansion boards does anyone recommend for Piano (and maybe B3 organ) sounds? I love the Piano in my P55 (#4, Keyboard Mag winner over the Emu and Kurzweil MicroPiano). Am I correct that a JV-90 will take 2 boards at once? I don't need a ton of sounds as I also use a Triton for other synth sounds. I play in a Wedding/Party band for whatever that's worth.

Last question: What is a good price for a JV-90 in great shape. Anyone got a spare??

Thanx again.

#24510 - 12/31/03 12:59 PM Re: Need info on JV-90
vangelis Online   content

Loc: FLORIDA
Hello,
I have owned a used JV-90 for 7 years now with a VE-JV1 expansion board as well as an SR-JV80-99 demo expansion board installed. Picked it up at a Boston Guitar Center for $800. It is a great synth with a 76-key weighted action keyboard similar to the A-70. It was - and is- a great synth, BUT, since this is 2004, I would go for an Alesis QS 7.1/8.1, more bang for the buck. The Roland has resonant filters, which are good for lead-line sounds, and that is what it excels at, as well as pads, BUT, support and news sounds are nonexistent (superseded by a gazillion newer Roland models). I have an Alesis QSR, plenty of good pianos right out of the box. I would not sell my JV90, though, irreplaceable and useful. Its pianos are good for "cutting through" a mix, ie. inlive PA's, but you'd be better off with the Alesis, IMHO.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online