SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#244898 - 10/15/08 04:47 AM Is 3.2 Mb user memory of tyros 3 really big problem
aramis Offline

Is 3.2 Mb user memory of tyros 3 really a big problem. Cant be used hard disk as user memory for sample voices instead of 3.2 Mb user memory.

If hard disk can be used instead of 3.2 Mb user memory, what will be the problems we have?

#244899 - 10/16/08 05:15 AM Re: Is 3.2 Mb user memory of tyros 3 really big problem
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by aramis:
Is 3.2 Mb user memory of tyros 3 really a big problem. Cant be used hard disk as user memory for sample voices instead of 3.2 Mb user memory.

If hard disk can be used instead of 3.2 Mb user memory, what will be the problems we have?

It is a problem when you change styles very often in the middle of songs etc and you need immediate reaction. The User memory is good for this because when you press a style it is loaded in milliseconds. When you load from the HD it takes slightly longer which can be an issue. However I've noticed that its slightly faster than the T2 though.

The T3 user memory is not nearly as big as it needs to be. Yamaha has 3mb, Korg has 20mb and Roland 50mb.

#244900 - 10/16/08 05:34 AM Re: Is 3.2 Mb user memory of tyros 3 really big problem
TommyF Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
Korg has 20mb

Korg Pa2X and Pa800 has 256 mb of flash memory. Half of this is reserved for the system sounds and styles, 20 mb is used as an internal disk drive and the remaining 100 mb is available for user sounds and styles. Remember that Pa800/Pa2X allows you to overwrite all 950 style locations.

I can't believe that Yamaha releases a high end keyboard in 2008 with only 3.2 mb flash memory. These days an USB stick with 1 gb (1000 mb) costs less than 10$! To me it only confirms that T3 is a souped up T2 with slightly improved sounds and effects - a version 2.1 as Chony said in another post.

Actually I am quite sad about this. Even though I am very happy with my Pa800 I had hoped that the T3 would be the groundbreaking keyboard we were promised. It doesn't look good for the future of arranger keyboards if Yamaha only can make minor - and expensive - updates to its platform and if Roland is out of the high end arranger business completely (as some rumours will know).

Kind regards,
Tommy

[This message has been edited by TommyF (edited 10-16-2008).]

#244901 - 10/16/08 07:20 AM Re: Is 3.2 Mb user memory of tyros 3 really big problem
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The only limiting effect of the memory size with the T3 will be the number of third-party styles that can be stored onboard and utilized by the keyboard's MFD. Three megs would probably limit you to about 75 to 80 third party styles, which I suspect is far more than most folks ever use. In fact, most players have never discovered the value of Yamaha's MFD system, and some don't know that it can be programmed, changed and utilize third party style files.

The only other limiting factor is the number of onboard registrations and midi files that can be stored, however, both can be stored on the HD or USB as well, so it's really a non-issue.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#244902 - 10/16/08 09:06 AM Re: Is 3.2 Mb user memory of tyros 3 really big problem
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
The only limiting effect of the memory size with the T3 will be the number of third-party styles that can be stored onboard and utilized by the keyboard's MFD. Three megs would probably limit you to about 75 to 80 third party styles, which I suspect is far more than most folks ever use. In fact, most players have never discovered the value of Yamaha's MFD system, and some don't know that it can be programmed, changed and utilize third party style files.

The only other limiting factor is the number of onboard registrations and midi files that can be stored, however, both can be stored on the HD or USB as well, so it's really a non-issue.

Good Luck,

Gary

Beat me to it...The flash memory is a non issue as there are many places to store as much as one needs. The load speed differences are not all that different.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#244903 - 10/16/08 09:48 AM Re: Is 3.2 Mb user memory of tyros 3 really big problem
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
The major problem with only 3.2MB flash memory is that Yamaha's Music Finder feature is ONLY able able to call up styles (other than factory preset styles) stored there. See this related thread .

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 10-16-2008).]

#244904 - 10/16/08 11:01 AM Re: Is 3.2 Mb user memory of tyros 3 really big problem
aramis Offline

i confused. when the keyboard openning, the keyboard transfers user styles recorded in Hard Disk to the ram, dosent it? If styles transfered to the ram i think it will be called without any delay?

#244905 - 10/16/08 01:32 PM Re: Is 3.2 Mb user memory of tyros 3 really big problem
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
The only limiting effect of the memory size with the T3 will be the number of third-party styles that can be stored onboard and utilized by the keyboard's MFD.

Gary

It bothers me when people just whitewash over this user memory issue. This is a TOTL keyboard. It should be made for professionals. The s900 is for people who don't need an extremely powerful and customizable board. For me and other custom users this is a big problem and I can't believe Yamaha skimped on this.

I guess regular Westerners have no use to be creative with their keyboards because Yamaha has pretty much done a superb job setting up their music. But for those of us who do ethnic music and make all our own styles, and make those styles sound like a live band, its not so simple.

For example within one song, I may change a style five or more times, and at a speed of 170 beats per minute. (Put it this way: Yamaha has 4 variations per style, I have about 50.) The less than one second delay it takes to pull a new style off the HD, means that I often miss the beat.

#244906 - 10/16/08 01:52 PM Re: Is 3.2 Mb user memory of tyros 3 really big problem
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
You must not forget this TOTL Arranger is made for the HOME market. That's how Arrangers are marketed and their target. In that regard people are not in a hurry for millisecond faster loading times.

If they were to cater to the Pro market with the T3 they would have a lot of better features in many areas not the least being the harmonizer

Yamaha makes the Motif for the Pro market and features it accordingly...
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online