SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#244835 - 10/14/08 05:26 PM E60 and tyros2
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Just on another matter, I have recently (last 2 days) been given the opportunity of getting a s/h tyros 2 for $1900 (about 1050 USd)..
The dealer can also supply an E60 brand new for the same money..

I am sorta interested but not having seriously used either (I did have an e50 for a while, and a tyros 1) I wanted to get opinions from folks on the forum as to which one they think is better, or if there is any difference at all.

I am still not even sure I am going to buy either, but if the MS gets further away they might become an option..

Just wondering..
Thanks
Dennis

#244836 - 10/14/08 05:37 PM Re: E60 and tyros2
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I'm a Roland fan.., but do have Yamaha in my set up. However, in this case I'd say go with the Tyros 2 man! For that price it's a steal. If you're about "styles" the Tyros will have more 3rd party support as well.

It would also depend on the condition of that T2. If it's well used.., then for that price getting a brand spankin new E-60 is very tempting as well.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 10-14-2008).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#244837 - 10/14/08 05:51 PM Re: E60 and tyros2
miden Offline

Thanks Squeak... The dealer tells me the guy is a REAL home user and does not play outside the house..But he does play nearly every day, so I guess the keybed has had some work.

The e60 being new, would be a serious consideration, and I thought some of the operational aspects of the e50 were pretty cool, terrible keybed though!

But the Tyros has SO much operationally...I am not really into styles, but sheesh you could have some fun mucking around with it!!! BUT, only 61 keys...another major consideration..

Dennis

#244838 - 10/14/08 06:04 PM Re: E60 and tyros2
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Dennis..this is a tough call...In the E-60..you have a better full size 76 keybed..and speakers..Sequence playback, edits for SMF and styles is unsurpassed...and drum kits are the best...(as you know, having played the E-50)..

The Tyros 2 has a mic input and a harmonizer (not great)...There are a few SA sounds..that are great..the drums lack punch..and the E-60 has the better piano..and unmatched scat and vocal patches...

A tough decision for most folks..but not to me....For what it does the E-60 is better...compared to what the Tyros2 does...

#244839 - 10/14/08 06:12 PM Re: E60 and tyros2
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Get the T2, and plug a 76 or 88 into it! In fact, get them BOTH...

That's a pretty powerful combination!

I'm not sure, if the E50 didn't keep you happy, that a 76 stuck on is going to make THAT much difference. But the T2 at that price IS a steal, I would go for that, see if you can live with it, and you'll make a profit if you sell it (unless you rush it), anyway...

And personally, I would look for a good used G70 over a new E60, any day!

#244840 - 10/14/08 06:25 PM Re: E60 and tyros2
miden Offline

Thanks guys..

Yes it is a tough call..Both have good points.

I agree the T2 is a steal, and the price is one of the main considerations...I did like the E50 with most of the G70's operational set, but couldn't deal with the keybed.

I also liked the T1 as well, but felt restricted by the keybed.

As for the G70, if one came up here s/h I would jump at it, but Roland sold so few out here, that they just don't come up. I suspect the people who bought them were very similar to you Fran and you Diki, they know what they've got and will not part with them.

Sounds would not really be an issue as I would be mainly using the XS rack and I have a CME 76 note controller (They ARE actually quite good for the money!!) But I am not a "keyboard stack" kinda guy, LOL too much effort.

I can sorta agree with you Diki when you say at that price get both, and if I did this I could sell off the CME replacing it with the E60.

And then there is the issue of the Media Station I know Fran has advised to be patient, but I cannot wait forever and that IS one keyboard that will need a lot of setting up, it would be worth it I think, but a lto of work...decisions decisions...

Thanks again to all for your thoughts, they are all appreciated and very useful.

Dennis

#244841 - 10/14/08 11:15 PM Re: E60 and tyros2
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
the E-60 has the better piano.....

Really? How many agree with this that have tried both? I've only heard online demos which I know can be misleading, but to me the E60 piano seems to start sounding kind of tinky starting on about the G an octave and a half above middle C. I've always thought the Yamaha piano is pretty much unbeatable by any other arranger from what I've heard, to my ears.

I'd really like to hear some discussion on this as I've been considering getting an E50 or 60 but the piano sound is mainly what's holding me back, maybe besides only 2 right hand voice combinations and no Reg Memory as far as I can remember.

I'd also like to hear some discussion on how the voices and sonic quality sound as compared to say a PSR2000/3000/S900, Tyros. If this thing is really as good as Fran says, haha, then I may actually want to check one of the E's out.

#244842 - 10/15/08 12:19 AM Re: E60 and tyros2
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:

Really? How many agree with this that have tried both?

http://www.purgatorycreek.com/index.html

It's the definitive place for comparison of sampled piano. EXACTLY the same SMF, played through nearly everything there is. Very dynamic, very full ranged, and all extreme's of playing, from soft and close=voiced middle range notes to bright and open extremes.

The perfect apples to apples site. No factory runs it, the files are user submitted and peer reviewed.

For me, there isn't the slightest doubt. Play the Tysos2 piano file, then play the FantomX (same as G70). Night and day... (it is the one!)

Sure, the Tyros is nice and bright, and cuts through a mix like a laser. But the Roland sounds more like a REAL piano, in person. No EQ tricks, just plain piano. It's easier to EQ brightness into a good natural piano sound (just cut some lows, low mids, a hair of air at the top) than to create warmth and natural low to med-low velocities from a bright sample that doesn't have it (IMO )

For me, in particular, it's the quieter passages that show off the Roland 'sound'. Sure, both have pretty good loud piano sounds. But when it gets quiet, soft, whatever, when I listen to the Roland's, I get the feeling the piano is still right in front of me, but when the Yamaha's get quiet, I get more of a sense of 'distance', as if the darn thing just got twenty feet away, or something...

I would STILL like to hear the new T3 piano on the Purgatory Creek file. I think it possibly addresses that T2 lack of low end warmth. But at least I'll be hearing it as a direct comparison to Roland and all the others, rather than a subjective one if they all had different tunes and players, etc.!

All of this is, of course, completely my opinion I urge everyone to make the most of the Purgatory Creek resource, and start to listen objectively, at least to piano sounds!

#244843 - 10/15/08 12:26 AM Re: E60 and tyros2
Diki Offline

BTW, the E60 piano sound that is closest to the G70 (there's three different good ones in there, and a whole pile of less successful, IMO) is the ClassicPiano, but the other two are up at PCreek as well...

IMO, the filter needs opening out just a bit on the E60 version (compare it to the FantomX UltimateGrand for the G70 sound) as it sounds a hair dull.

#244844 - 10/15/08 01:51 AM Re: E60 and tyros2
miden Offline

After having received word from Dom on the MS issue, it might be I just spring for the T2 as it really is a great price.

And then when it is coupled it with the MS, (also a great deal)it will give me, when you add in the XS rack a pretty good system I think.

As I said I am not a multi-keyboard sort of guy so only one will go to gigs, and that would be the MS. With perhaps the XS as an add-on.

I think the T2 will be more of a fun board and to also bounce some recording ideas from.

At least I can get the T2 probably on Friday. Another couple of weeks for the MS.

Dennis

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online