SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#244656 - 10/13/08 01:53 AM where can i found technical knowledge about arranger workstations
aramis Offline

I want to find a tutorial or something else about technical knowledge of arranger workstations. Especially about memory architecture, which type of memory used in workstations (ram, preset rom, flash memory, user memory, style memory, sound memory, usb, hard disk) and for what each of these memory used for? For example how does a workstation take a sample voice from outside word, where does the arranger save that voice, how does arrenger use it.

What is multipad, what is vocoder ... etc.

How can learn such knowledge? Thanks a lot.

#244657 - 10/13/08 05:05 AM Re: where can i found technical knowledge about arranger workstations
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK

#244658 - 10/13/08 06:14 AM Re: where can i found technical knowledge about arranger workstations
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I would add this one to Graham's list. www.psrtutorial.com

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#244659 - 10/13/08 02:10 PM Re: where can i found technical knowledge about arranger workstations
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
I got most of my info thru studying manuals.
A lot of them are downloadable online.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by aramis:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#244660 - 10/13/08 04:15 PM Re: where can i found technical knowledge about arranger workstations
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Reading the relevant manuals is also important... often the same word is used by different companies to describe different thing, many times different words are used for the SAME thing

It can get confusing...

#244661 - 10/14/08 12:14 AM Re: where can i found technical knowledge about arranger workstations
aramis Offline

Tahnk you. But i cant find tutorials on that sites. Ý am looking for tutorials that give technical knowledge about keyboards. For example where the user styles saved. What is the access rate to the uesr flaas memories, hard disk etc..

#244662 - 10/14/08 03:53 AM Re: where can i found technical knowledge about arranger workstations
kalimero Offline

Loc: Dubrovnik, Croatia
aramis,

You are interested about information on internal design of arrangers (and workstations, which are different kind of keyboards), and all manufacturers consider these informations confidential. So there is no way of acquiring these type of information unless You apply for a job in R&D department of some keyboard manufacturer.

Of course, You can see some simplified schematics in the manuals, but nothing more, although if You have experience with electronics it's quite easy to understand the operating principles (any keyboard operate quite similar to any other computer, have CPU, ROM, RAM, DSP or other custom chips, etc).

#244663 - 10/14/08 01:05 PM Re: where can i found technical knowledge about arranger workstations
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'm confused, but of what possible use could this knowledge be to anyone?

These are all proprietary system, and written into ROM chips (if sound data) or in imbedded copyrighted OS's.

You could find yourself in quite a lot of trouble were you to actually publish this kind of information (which wouldn't be of any use to anyone short of a competitor manufacturer, anyway)..

Perhaps just the OPERATIONAL aspects are what you should concentrate on. But be prepared to do a lot of the work yourself... seek times on HD's in arrangers are NOT part of the published spec. Test them for yourself, and be prepared to be exhaustive if you want an accurate answer...

But, in all truthfulness, as technical as I like to get sometimes, I'm not the slightest bit interested in the HOW... But I am FAR more interested in the WHAT...

How long does it take to load a style from HD. Does the disk being full make a difference? Does the disk being fragmented make a difference? Do OS upgrades make a difference...

Practical stuff like this you can test for yourself. But what part of the memory address gets used for user styles, what gets used by ROM sounds...? Who cares?

As long as it works...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online