SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#244336 - 10/07/08 12:07 PM Need some now, fresh Oldies ideas
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Hello All,
I apologize; this has nothing to do with the T-3.
I was wondering if some of the folks who do oldies dance gigs would share some of their ideas. I've been playing the tunes since they were top 40 way back when. Over the past 10 or so years I’ve been playing Italian restaurants, festas, ballo liscio and the like, and I only do about half-dozen oldies gigs per year. Now, I seem to be getting more calls for this genre – for whatever reason. I feel like I’m getting a little hackneyed, and was wondering if any players introduced any clever new banter or talk about the songs/artists history or whatever to add a little spice and entertain a little while keeping the dance floor full.
Ciao,
Jerry

By the by, and since it seems everyone seems to be talking about the The T-3, I’d love to see a T-3 module …. or a PA2XPro module…. or an Audya module ….

#244337 - 10/07/08 12:13 PM Re: Need some now, fresh Oldies ideas
Dnj Offline

Jerry doing this online is very difficult... I would suggest you make it a point of going out to see the best acts in your area who do this kind of thing & absorb intently....you'll be surprised at what will turn up to improve your Oldie aspirations.

Good Luck

#244338 - 10/07/08 01:49 PM Re: Need some now, fresh Oldies ideas
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jerry,

I agree with what Donnie just posted. There are a lot of successful performers in everyone's backyards, folks who pack dance floors with throngs of people, and their calendars are booked solid through all of 2009 and into 2010. There is a reasons for this, and it usually only takes a short visit to each to determine what is working for them. I encourage everyone to do this on an annual basis, take some notes, written or recorded, and put this information to good use in your area. Pay careful attention to the audience makeup, the type of venue, and every aspect of the performance. All of this is important and no detail is too small to ignore.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#244339 - 10/07/08 04:24 PM Re: Need some now, fresh Oldies ideas
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Donny and Gary,
Thanks for the responses. Unfortunatly, most of these groups' performance schedules correspond with mine. One of the hottest groups in this area is still the Grease Band and a couple of times this year they performed with 30 minutes of me and I was working at the same time.
I was especially interested in what single acts were doing.
Ciao,
Jerry

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online