SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#243589 - 10/01/08 03:34 AM O.T. Anyone with knowledge to cast some light about Electronic drum sets???
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Hi all,

I am looking for an electronic drum set for a cousin of mine...

I have read here that Roland V-drums are the cat's pajamas but the price ranges fro most of the models are beyond reach.

We are talking budding (of the "I would like to" veriety) amateur here, never held a stick in her hands, so a $3000 drum set is not worth it.

I read somewhere that the new V-drums Lite are adequate and cheap for a beginner, and searching the net, found that there are other brands (unknown to me) that seem to posess similar chaacteristis and even lower price.

For example here: http://www.thomann.de/gr/electronic_drumsets.html they sell "Millenium" drumsets that seem complete, in a price range of 200+ - 600 Euros, and the most basic V-drum lite is 585 euros....

Anyone here would like to chip in some knowledge on what to look for or some suggestions?

Thanks,
Theodore

#243590 - 10/01/08 03:49 AM Re: O.T. Anyone with knowledge to cast some light about Electronic drum sets???
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I am waiting on the Alesis DM5ProKit
with Surge Cymbals ($799) to ship. I ordered them two months ago after doing some research. I don't play drums but wanted some in my studio for when my drummer comes over to jam or just lay down a track for me. I've heard the DM5 module and it's not too bad, but what I really wanted for recording was the real 'live' playing in lieu of drum machine patterns. Check it out here http://www.musiciansbuy.com/Alesis-DM5ProKit-with-Surge-Cymbals.html

chas

#243591 - 10/01/08 10:30 AM Re: O.T. Anyone with knowledge to cast some light about Electronic drum sets???
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Have you looked at the Roland HD-1. It's essentially the "poor-mans" V-drums. Personally the best electronic kits I've played were the V-Drums, but they are damn expensive. I didn't care for the Yamaha's. the Alesis kits are pretty decent (some of them), and I've never touched a Simmons kit that pleased me enough to buy one.

The Roland HD-1 is a very popular kit from Roland. It's as basic as they get too, but you get some good sounds. The set up is nice in that the bass pedal and trigger are all one unit (and pedal included too). This really helps make the kit compact in that you don't need a separate floor trigger/pad for the bass drum. You can even set it so the hi-hat pedal can be used for bass to get some sweet double bass.

Not sure what they cost over in your area. Here in the USA the going price is $795 (New). If you want the V-Drum sound, but don't have the three to five grand to spend.., $749 is a pretty attractive price.

I'd stay away from the Yamaha DTX Explorer. I didn't care for this kit at all.., and neither do many of the drummers I know. The Alesis DM5Kit is often brought up.., but with that you'll get what you pay for..., decent enough sound module and absolutely shitty pads However, the Alesis DM5Pro kit ain't too bad and it sells here for $599

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 10-01-2008).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#243592 - 10/01/08 04:11 PM Re: O.T. Anyone with knowledge to cast some light about Electronic drum sets???
TheSonicEnergyAuthority Offline

Loc: Peterborough,Cambridgeshire,UK
I've a Yamaha DTXpress III kit.
Good to start on, but I'm thinking of moving to Roland's TD-12, or if I have a moment of madness, possibly a TD-20.
I'm frustrated with the Yammy kit, sounds great, but it soon becomes clear your playing a 'triggered' kit, cymbal crashes especially. It can sound 'drum machine like'.
Roland's higher end kits vary the sounds depending on how they are played, and as a result they sound much closer to a real kit.
Yamaha will always win when price is the deciding factor, but for me, Roland's 'attention to detail' has one me over.
Not sure about the Yamaha DTXpress IV either, it lacks a MIDI input, which is a massive step backwards to the previous models.
Roland's TD-9 might be worth checking out, heard some good reports about them.

There is always the older TD-8 and TD-10's these where Roland's higher end kits not so long ago.

Saw a Alesis set-up at a show recently, the words 'cheap & nasty' came to mind.

It's worth a look at both Roland's and Yamaha's sites, watch a few on-line demos to give you an idea of what they can do, and the features they have.

A second hand Yamaha DTXpress I/II/III would be my 'starter' kit if I where starting over.
My set-up has been taken as far as it will go. After hearing, and see what a Roland kit can do, it made me look at mine in a whole new light. Then started thinking, "what if.."

------------------
The Sonic Energy Authority - a sound investment

#243593 - 10/01/08 06:04 PM Re: O.T. Anyone with knowledge to cast some light about Electronic drum sets???
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
We just sold a used Roland kit. Their heads are amazing. Sounds are subjective. The Alesis Module has been out for many many years and a staple. But very simple. No efx (unless you select a drum set with them) The heads are 8" real drum heads but they lay on the controllers. If you don't mind simplicity and reading the manual you will be happy with the Alesis.

For the money the Yamaha Explorer kit would be a better bet IMHO. Great sounds,flexibility. $699. I would buy an extra three zone pad to add to it though (about $90) for the snare and use the second output on the kick for the extra pad.

Its much better for the same money as the Alesis.We sell both and I would choose the Yamaha for a beginner. It has a nice training mode with various rhythms and music you can play to with or without the drums.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#243594 - 10/02/08 04:11 PM Re: O.T. Anyone with knowledge to cast some light about Electronic drum sets???
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Take a look at Hart Dynamics... made in my hometown!
http://www.hartdynamics.com/

Give them a call or email, talk to Paul Andre (sales manager), mention my name, and get the straight skinny. These guys are endorsed by many of the best drummers WHO ACTUALLY USE E-DRUMS (not just endorse them!), and have a wide variety of price and product ranges...

I have had a kit of theirs for years, very reliable, very sensitive.

#243595 - 10/05/08 11:02 AM Re: O.T. Anyone with knowledge to cast some light about Electronic drum sets???
trident Offline

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice.

#243596 - 10/07/08 03:26 AM Re: O.T. Anyone with knowledge to cast some light about Electronic drum sets???
ricok987 Offline

Loc: N Brunswick, NJ, US
A few years ago I was able to get a new Hart Prodigy set with the Roland TD-5 for about $600. The pads on the Prodigy were budget ones, but I replaced the snare pad with the Roland 2-zone pad so I could get rim shot sounds. I found that setup was the cheapest way to get a semi descent set.

#243597 - 10/07/08 04:31 AM Re: O.T. Anyone with knowledge to cast some light about Electronic drum sets???
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I do not recommend electronic drums for a beginners kit. I am a proponent of using acoustic drums for learning fundamentals, developing "twitch" muscles, and rudiments. With acoustic drums, you will learn how to control volume, dynamics, stick control. With electronic drums, you can bang that head as hard as you want, but as long as the volume control is set low, it won't change the amplitude of the sound very much.

You can get an inexpensive acoustic kit for $200 used. This is a wise investment for a beginner until you discover the students skill level, dedication, and practice habits.

------------------
Al Giordano
Visit us at ARRANGER WORLD! http://www.arrangerworld.com

Korg Pa2xpro, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums, Roland TD-12 Vdrums, Roland SPD-S.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#243598 - 10/08/08 07:30 AM Re: O.T. Anyone with knowledge to cast some light about Electronic drum sets???
trident Offline

Points noted, however, the real drums have their drawbacks, they make too much noise.

an electric set is nearly silent

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online