SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#243455 - 09/30/08 12:53 PM Re: Green Grass of Home recorded by Manny
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Not everyone's society likes to sugar coat their words like they do in America, it's true... even allowing for translation difficulties, there is the question of national conversation styles.

Of course, due to the insular nature of American society (most of them couldn't even tell you what the capital of Belgium is, or what languages are spoken there), they have little idea that people in other parts of the world don't necessarily beat around the bush as much as we do here.

All one has to do is look at our political system, and our politicians to get a handle on that, though!

Y'all have a nice day, now, y'hear...!

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 09-30-2008).]

#243456 - 09/30/08 01:44 PM Re: Green Grass of Home recorded by Manny
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Burkels has a surprisingly good command of English, which, to him, is a second language. His command of the English language is actually better than that of some of our regular contributors.

He is articulate and to the point. I'm glad he is a contributor.

I don't personally see anything too abrupt or lacking in civility in his post. He's entitled to his opinion and has expressed it well.

Russ

#243457 - 09/30/08 02:15 PM Re: Green Grass of Home recorded by Manny
Dnj Offline

I wouldn't be surprised if Manny never makes another post on SZ again after reading this stuff.All he ever did was show his passion for music and got SLAMMED for it big time. Who are we to judge anything in any language for that matter?

#243458 - 09/30/08 02:24 PM Re: Green Grass of Home recorded by Manny
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Burkels has such a good command of the English language that it never occurred to me he wasn't from the US. Clearly, I missed that...

Not sure what was so inflammatory in my posting. I suggested what I thought the issue might be, how it could've been avoided and then commented on Burkels statement (which I thought was a little dramatic) about either lying and saying it was nice or just shutting up.

Its odd to me Burkels himself used the word "harsh" to describe his comments but now the onus seems to be on the readers to cut him some slack because of his language difference.

This is all about being a little nicer in our comments...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#243459 - 09/30/08 02:28 PM Re: Green Grass of Home recorded by Manny
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Not everyone's society likes to sugar coat their words like they do in America, it's true... even allowing for translation difficulties, there is the question of national conversation styles.

Of course, due to the insular nature of American society (most of them couldn't even tell you what the capital of Belgium is, or what languages are spoken there), they have little idea that people in other parts of the world don't necessarily beat around the bush as much as we do here.

All one has to do is look at our political system, and our politicians to get a handle on that, though!

Y'all have a nice day, now, y'hear...!

That's nonsense, Diki...

The politicians certainly don't speak/communicate like most Americans do. When our wives, for example catch us doing something stupid, do they mince words or are they pretty direct?

One man's sugar coating may be another man's use of good manners.

That said, I do offer an apology for this apparent hijacking of a fine musical thread. Manny...keep em coming, pal....

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#243460 - 09/30/08 05:13 PM Re: Green Grass of Home recorded by Manny
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I wouldn't be surprised if Manny never makes another post on SZ again after reading this stuff.All he ever did was show his passion for music and got SLAMMED for it big time. Who are we to judge anything in any language for that matter?

Donny ... "SLAMMED for it big time" ?!?!?
Perhaps a slight overstatement on your part?

I believe I read ONE negative post and a number of posts in support of manny ...
The rest of this thread has been commentary on 'Burkels' opinion and how it was stated, and Cap'n Russ' reminiscing about how he used to mow the grass or something like that in his younger days ...

Compared to the critical reviews others have endured, I see no reason why manny shouldn't continue to post his music here ... I would say that most of us are enjoying it ... Plus, he (and others like myself) might pick up a pointer or two when there is some 'constructive criticism' shared ...

t.

#243461 - 09/30/08 05:16 PM Re: Green Grass of Home recorded by Manny
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Donny ... "SLAMMED for it big time" ?!?!?
Perhaps a slight overstatement on your part?

I believe I read ONE negative post and a number of posts in support of manny ...
The rest of this thread has been commentary on 'Burkels' opinion and how it was stated, and Cap'n Russ' reminiscing about how he used to mow the grass or something like that in his younger days ...

Compared to the critical reviews others have endured, I see no reason why manny shouldn't continue to post his music here ... I would say that most of us are enjoying it ... Plus, he (and others like myself) might pick up a pointer or two when there is some 'constructive criticism' shared ...

t.

Tony Lets not forget this also......

http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/018165.html

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online