SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#243218 - 09/26/08 08:28 PM Re: Early thoughts on the TC Helicon Harmony M...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Did Misty Blue last night. I turned on two voices just to try it (I normally use only one harmony voice). No glitches on aug or dim.
DonM

#243219 - 09/27/08 11:25 AM Re: Early thoughts on the TC Helicon Harmony M...
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
I wonder what Bill in Dayton is doing wrong then?? If others aren't having any problems with the more complex chords then it seems to me Bill has his set up wrong somewhere.

Well sir,.. my interest in the HarmonyM is picking up again, since it seems to be an isolated incidence with Bill's unit.

Thanks for posting your settings Gary! When and if you and Bill get his figured out please let us know what it was that was causing the problem. I hate to think that Bill's unit is somehow defective but that could be the case possibly. Hopefully you two can get it figured out though.

Best,
Mike

#243220 - 09/27/08 02:11 PM Re: Early thoughts on the TC Helicon Harmony M...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Follwed Gary's instruction to a T and still not getting acceptable results in normal mode...

NOTE: In manual mode or vocoder mode, everything tracks great, but you've got that vocoder sound, which isn't what I'm usually looking for...

Here's two examples. If someone else could try these and report back, I'd appreciate it...

#1) Tennessee Waltz...using preset #1...going into the chorus...Playing a C to an E7...sing the lead vocal as normal w/harmonies and tell me if what you hear on the word "night" isn't goofy as shit...

#2) Kansas City...preset 1...There's a kind of call-response thing throughout the verse...(In C) Lead-"Well, I'm going to Kansas City, kansas city hear I come..." then the response, "Kansas city, oh...kansas city" in harmony.

Musically, I'm playing a C in the bass and a c chord (c-e-g) to a f chord (c-f-a) to a c7 without the E (c-f-Bb) then down again...

This is a basic, and I mean basic blues keyboard riff. For the harmony to work, I have to switch to a Bb chord which changes the whole feel of it...

I like everything about this, but if it doesn't follow me...How many songs am I going to have to "dumb down" so it'll sound ok?

I am nothing special when it comes to playing keyboard, trust me. I know chords very wells, and I've been told I have a nice feel...but technically, I can't touch most of you guys...its like I have mittens on, maybe...

I'm off Sunday and Monday...maybe I'll set up everything and post an mp3 of this weirdness for everyone else to hear...

so close, yet so far...

Thanks as usual, gang!

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 09-27-2008).]

#243221 - 09/27/08 02:49 PM Re: Early thoughts on the TC Helicon Harmony M...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
still not getting acceptable results in normal mode...

Musically, I'm playing a C in the bass and a c chord (c-e-g) to a f chord (c-f-a) to a c7 without the E (c-f-Bb) then down again...

If you are playing the C7 as C-F-Bb, then it may be reading/playing an Fsus4...it does on my S900 when in "fingered" mode...perhaps leaving the 3rd out(and the 5th) and subbing in the 4th(the F) is confusing the unit.

Just a thought.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 09-27-2008).]

#243222 - 09/27/08 08:35 PM Re: Early thoughts on the TC Helicon Harmony M...
Bill in Dayton Offline

"Musically, I'm playing a C in the bass and a c chord (c-e-g) to a f chord (c-f-a) to a c7 without the E (c-f-Bb) then down again..."

Ian...

The chord you mentioned was a typo...

The actual notes are (c-g-Bb)...

Ideas?

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#243223 - 09/28/08 03:48 AM Re: Early thoughts on the TC Helicon Harmony M...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
[B
The chord you mentioned was a typo...

The actual notes are (c-g-Bb)...

Ideas?

[/B]

I'm not familiar with the harmonizer, Bill, but maybe it needs the 3rd (the E) in the chord to recognize the harmony.

You are using the 3rd in the other chords.

Maybe try C-E-Bb, or C-E-G-Bb.

Are you using Bass Inversion or Fingered On Bass by any chance?(I'm not sure if that would make a difference...again, I don't know the unit)

Ian

#243224 - 09/28/08 05:54 AM Re: Early thoughts on the TC Helicon Harmony M...
Bill in Dayton Offline

I use full keyboard mode on my tyros 2...

In terms of proper chord tracking, I think its mostly related to the mode of harmony I'm using. If the harmony was messed up across the board, even in vocoder or manual mode, then I'd suspect the midi transfer was not right. But, everything is perfect in vocoder mode, so the data is getting shared properly. Surely this unit doesn't require...and certainly doesn't mention in the operating manual...a different set up for normal mode.

I'd always thought the TC Helicon line was the gold standard for harmony processors but I'm real concerned that perhaps all the TC line generates harmonies this way, which is different than Digitech handles it. What's to say I upgrade to a Voice works plus or something and still find the quirky harmony output?

Disappointing, at least so far...

Still hope to post an mp3 of the two examples I cited earlier...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#243225 - 09/28/08 08:35 AM Re: Early thoughts on the TC Helicon Harmony M...
Dnj Offline

Bill......dont just blame the VH unit it only works right when you sing properly into the Mic also. It's a delicate blend of Vocals & chord playing no matter what unit your using. Look forward to you vocal demo soon.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-28-2008).]

#243226 - 09/28/08 08:59 AM Re: Early thoughts on the TC Helicon Harmony M...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

I've been trying to duplicate your problem and may have stumbled onto it. You posted that you use the Full fingering mode. In order to utilize this feature, plus send the correct midi signal to the VH you must change your split point to the rightmost key of the keyboard. If the split point remains at the normal location, parts of the information will not be transmitted if some of the chord is above the split point.

I'll be home the remainder of the day if you wish to call. Tomorrow's weather looks good with moderate winds, so I will likely go sailing.

Hope this helps,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#243227 - 09/28/08 10:10 AM Re: Early thoughts on the TC Helicon Harmony M...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Bill......dont just blame the VH unit it only works right when you sing properly into the Mic also. It's a delicate blend of Vocals & chord playing no matter what unit your using. Look forward to you vocal demo soon.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-28-2008).]

Well, when the unit hiccups with the melody, what's left?

Are you suggesting I rewrite the melody to Tennessee Waltz?

Yard work is now completed...quick lunch then into the abyss that is known as the TC Hell

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online