SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#243208 - 09/24/08 06:40 PM Re: Early thoughts on the TC Helicon Harmony M...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Hey Donnie-

I always use the "Full keyboard" mode on my tyros 2...

I've made no special adjustments to the TC...As I said, it seems to generally follow me, but if I use a flat 9th, or a 2nd, 6th, etc...it goes real weird...

Comments?

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#243209 - 09/24/08 07:11 PM Re: Early thoughts on the TC Helicon Harmony M...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

I'll be back in the office on Friday evening. You can give me a call after 5 p.m. EST and I might be able to help. If you no longer have my phone number, email me yours at travlin_easy@copper.net and I'll be happy to call you.

Gary

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#243210 - 09/25/08 08:42 AM Re: Early thoughts on the TC Helicon Harmony M...
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
And then if Gary gets Bill's HarmonyM working up to snuff could either Bill or you Gary post the results either here or on another thread topic?

Also, if Donny would like to share his HarmonyM settings with everybody it would go a long way in sorting this out too in my opinion.

Best,
Mike

#243211 - 09/25/08 08:47 AM Re: Early thoughts on the TC Helicon Harmony M...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I've also posted a question regarding chord tracking to the good folks at TC Helicon as well...

Any info recieved will be passed on, of course...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#243212 - 09/25/08 11:55 AM Re: Early thoughts on the TC Helicon Harmony M...
travlin'easy Offline

I'll be glad to Mike. I will be talking with Bill sometime over the weekend.

Here are some tips and some the basic settings I use:

First, I'm using the PSR-3000 with the Harmony-M. The keyboard's MIDi setup is set to Keyboard & Style. Additionally, it's important to remember to turn off the keyboard's vocal harmony and effects before firing up the TC.

Next, you must tell the TC which MIDI channel you are transmitting on. This is done by holding down both the A/B and On buttons at the same time until they begin to blink. Then release the buttons and play a "C" chord on your keyboard. The TC will find the MIDI transmit channel automatically in this mode. To exit the setup mode, press the A/B and On buttons again, release them and the TC should return to the normal mode.

For my voice, which is quite low and somewhat soft, I find the High and Higher harmony settings work best. This, of course will vary with your voice quality and tone. Additionally, it's important to note that you must use voice control to some degree to obtain the best results. If you have the tendency to sing very loudly into a mic you can easily overdrive any vocal harmony system--including the high price spread.

For vocal effects I prefer Hall, but again this will vary with individual voice preferences and quality.

I set the Input, FX and Harmony knobs at the 12 O'clock position, and the Humanize control at the 9 O'clock position. For the Tone setting I use #2, which adds some softness and depth to your voice

I activate the Double feature, which tends to make your lead voice sound a bit thicker or fatter, while at the same time not overwhelming--good feature.

I set the TC for a Mono output, then fired the mono out into the keyboard's Line/Mic in. (Make sure the tiny switch on the back of the keyboard is set to Line. If it is set to mic you will encounter distortion.)

Hope this helps,

Gary

#243213 - 09/25/08 12:08 PM Re: Early thoughts on the TC Helicon Harmony M...
Dnj Offline

Gary great tips.... after setting up the Midi channels as per Gary's instructions for Trans/Rec, FX Hall at 2 O'clock, Doubler Off, Humanize 12 O'clock, Tone Button setting # 1, Volume 10 O'clock (watch the gain light dont turn red), set the unit to MONO (push voice 1 & 2 together),& I basically use High/Higher for my Harmonies most times, then set PRESET so it turns on that way every time & it always stays there,......I Velcro the Unit into my utility box with the rest of my gear hookups, all wires harnessed together for hookup & use an external switch pedal to turn it On/Off...other then that I really love this little Wonder!!!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-25-2008).]

#243214 - 09/26/08 10:31 AM Re: Early thoughts on the TC Helicon Harmony M...
Dnj Offline

Update:........

I used it last night full bore on a 4 hour gig with the Tyros & give it Two Thumbs Up from me.....for My needs I'll never be tied down to a "On-board" VH unit again using any keyboard, although there is a few models that have quality VH inside......but this versatile little unit is just what the doctor ordered. I recomend it for sure.

Enjoy

------------------
------------
Donny

#243215 - 09/26/08 11:16 AM Re: Early thoughts on the TC Helicon Harmony M...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
How are you dealing with issue #9?

"9) Harmony generation / playing keyboard. (In normal, not manual mode) Early impressions are NOT good. If I'm playing the most basic of chords...(I mean basic - Root, 3rd, 5th) then it works nicely. Introduce a 7th, or god forbid a 9th and it goes sideways...fast."

Do you ONLY play basic triads?

#243216 - 09/26/08 02:32 PM Re: Early thoughts on the TC Helicon Harmony M...
travlin'easy Offline

Diki,

I didn't encounter a problem with 7ths, 9ths or diminished chords. #9 may have something to do with the keyboard's midi setup. Should know in a couple days.

Gary

#243217 - 09/26/08 02:41 PM Re: Early thoughts on the TC Helicon Harmony M...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Did Misty Blue last night. I turned on two voices just to try it (I normally use only one harmony voice). No glitches on aug or dim.
DonM

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online