SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#242581 - 09/15/08 07:50 AM Tyros 3 vs Korg PA2 .............Pros of each...
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Don't want to start a flame war here but would like opinions on what those who have OWNED BOTH think of eachs strengths over the other.

For example I loved the Korg but feet the Yamaha had an easier learning curve (becasue it does less)

The hardest sounds to emulate sound more authentic of the Yamaha in my case

The Korg had some really nice styles.

from a recording standpoint Yamaha sounds already polished and Mastered vs the Korg's more live in your face sound. Which is either a sound you like or not. I think they both have their place in the music world.

Just add water (vocals)but one needs to buy a Harmonizer if they really want great even though talking to Helicon at NAMM make no mistake there is more to the name on the Korg than the actual technology as well.

The Korg has many nice to have features but easy get arounds.

1.48v Phantom power (XLR mike input which isn't necessary unless you are running 100 feet away from your keyboard.) In the Studio both of these items a moot as one should use a real pre Amp even if inputing to the Korg for BG vocals.

MP3 players. Nice feature for live use but aux inputs support the same on other boards without the cross fade.

Guitar mode is really nice. but if you have great styles and/or sequences its not needed.
76 keys. Nice but we use an 88 key controller and for the organ parts the 61 keys are fine.

I did not give the Korg a really good chance becasue I was always buried in the manual and frustrated with the learning curve when I wanted the create. After awhile I did not even want to use it. My wife got a a lot of use out of it recording some styles and drum tracks for playback on her gigs.

I simply know the Yamaha better.It has a lot of users and support.I really like many of the sounds a lot better ( especially the cymbals, soprano sax, flute, and now the organ on the T3) for the Most part on the T2. The T3 cemented the deal and motivated me to sell the Korg. Not to mention the Yamaha hardware always felt a lot hardier than the Korg's buttons and sliders. Seems Korg is using the same buttons since the Triton Classic. The touch screen is nice but IM not a fan of them. I like the tactile ressponse. (No Iphone for me either)

I am one of the few who believe the T3 is a huge step up from the Tyros 3/Psr900 series.

But I have not totally given up on the Korg as I will probably pick up a PA800 to fill in the things I will miss about the sounds. Been looking at the Ketron modules as well.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#242582 - 09/15/08 08:04 AM Re: Tyros 3 vs Korg PA2 .............Pros of each...
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
My complaints about the Korg are as follows.

1)Latin styles are horrible compared to Ketron, and a very small step behind Yamaha

2)Some of the 50's rock stuff is weak.

3) I wish they had a fill to variation, which can be added via software. ex, hit variation 4 and it comes in with a fill.

#242583 - 09/15/08 08:23 AM Re: Tyros 3 vs Korg PA2 .............Pros of each...
Kingfrog Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:
My complaints about the Korg are as follows.

1)Latin styles are horrible compared to Ketron, and a very small step behind Yamaha

2)Some of the 50's rock stuff is weak.

3) I wish they had a fill to variation, which can be added via software. ex, hit variation 4 and it comes in with a fill.

I forgot the fill to variation feature. Yeah that on is a nice one on the Yamaha and the normal fills are "intelligent" depending on on what beat you select it.

I am wondering why Yamaha put so much work into Irish Pipes......I mean who really uses them much? I would rather they put the SA3 work into more common sounds like maybe ONE drum set!!!
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#242584 - 09/15/08 08:28 AM Re: Tyros 3 vs Korg PA2 .............Pros of each...
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Big Irish comeback, check Billboard

#242585 - 09/15/08 09:16 AM Re: Tyros 3 vs Korg PA2 .............Pros of each...
chony Offline

Loc: New York

#242586 - 09/15/08 09:21 AM Re: Tyros 3 vs Korg PA2 .............Pros of each...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
I forgot the fill to variation feature. Yeah that on is a nice one on the Yamaha and the normal fills are "intelligent" depending on on what beat you select it.

I am wondering why Yamaha put so much work into Irish Pipes......I mean who really uses them much? I would rather they put the SA3 work into more common sounds like maybe ONE drum set!!!

I'd wait till the Tyros 3 is on the market for 6 months......then you'll hear an educated bias opinion from REAL users.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-15-2008).]

#242587 - 09/15/08 10:37 AM Re: Tyros 3 vs Korg PA2 .............Pros of each...
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
Quote Kingfrog: I am wondering why Yamaha put so much work into Irish Pipes......I mean who really uses them much? I would rather they put the SA3 work into more common sounds like maybe ONE drum set!!!

I have said exactly the same thing myself & was surprised that no one else had raised this point until now.
This voice is unlikely to be used more than once in any nights gig outside Ireland - (on most gigs, will not used at all).
I give Yamaha credit for doing such a good job on this voice but, there are many other voices which could use some improvement (and yes, drumsets would be a good candidate) and would get used many times in the average nights gig. Further proof that the big manufacturers don't really listen to what the user's want!
Tony, Sheffield UK

#242588 - 09/15/08 01:36 PM Re: Tyros 3 vs Korg PA2 .............Pros of each...
Dnj Offline

Too bad Yamaha doesn't incorporate what KORG has in its arrangers where you can delete all factory sounds & styles if you wish and only load & use what you need.....this is one of the things I liked about Korg & Roland arranger KBs.....Although Yamaha has some awesome sounds & styles....IMO others have much more USER editing capabilities then Yamaha....it frees up Ram & lets you make the KB YOUR OWN.

#242589 - 09/15/08 01:42 PM Re: Tyros 3 vs Korg PA2 .............Pros of each...
Kingfrog Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Too bad Yamaha doesn't incorporate what KORG has in its arrangers where you can delete all factory sounds & styles if you wish and only load & use what you need.....this is one of the things I liked about Korg & Roland arranger KBs.....Although Yamaha has some awesome sounds & styles....IMO others have much more USER editing capabilities then Yamaha....it frees up Ram & lets you make the KB YOUR OWN.

GOd No!! I have never been much of a sound editor even when I had Tritons and Junos etc. Always went with boards and modules that had what I wanted in factory patches and selected my keyboards that way ever since.

I would be spending much of my time creating sounds instead of songs. Sound creation is a hobby and an art for some. I'm glad to pay for their work.LOL

BTW the T3 screen is the same as the Roland Fantom screen in resolution. I don't know. I was quick to sell the Korg while the market was still there before the T3 release. I only lost $400 "rent" for four months. Well worth it.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 09-15-2008).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#242590 - 09/15/08 02:34 PM Re: Tyros 3 vs Korg PA2 .............Pros of each...
Kingfrog Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
GOd No!! I have never been much of a sound editor even when I had Tritons and Junos etc. Always went with boards and modules that had what I wanted in factory patches and selected my keyboards that way ever since.

I would be spending much of my time creating sounds instead of songs. Sound creation is a hobby and an art for some. I'm glad to pay for their work.LOL

BTW the T3 screen is the same as the Roland Fantom screen in resolution. I don't know. I was quick to sell the Korg while the market was still there before the T3 release. I only lost $400 "rent" for four months. Well worth it. Now working for a Dealer who recently brought on Korg I can get another for far less than I sold it for and make up the difference. There was a method to my madness.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 09-15-2008).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online