SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#242568 - 09/14/08 06:30 PM Tyros 3 and other keyboard prices: Are there any rules?
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
I pre-ordered my Tyros3 for what I thought was the lowest price Yamaha would let a dealer sell it for. I've read some posts here and elsewhere where some dealers are selling it well below what I might be paying. I've heard (rumor?) Yamaha has suspended shipments to dealers who are selling for less than agreed. Are there rules? Do some dealers have different contracts or agreements with Yamaha? Do all dealers pay the same wholesale price or do some get discounts from Yamaha? Does the whole industry operate this way? -charley

#242569 - 09/14/08 08:15 PM Re: Tyros 3 and other keyboard prices: Are there any rules?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm no expert, but the manufacturer's set a MAP price (Minimum price that can be advertised). If they post a lower price they are in trouble. However, they can sell the stuff for whatever they want I suppose.
I seldom have paid full MAP for anything.
Bear in mind that there are many other considerations besides price, including support and service.
DonM

#242570 - 09/14/08 10:13 PM Re: Tyros 3 and other keyboard prices: Are there any rules?
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I'm no expert, but the manufacturer's set a MAP price (Minimum price that can be advertised). If they post a lower price they are in trouble. However, they can sell the stuff for whatever they want I suppose.
I seldom have paid full MAP for anything.
Bear in mind that there are many other considerations besides price, including support and service.
DonM
Yamaha also has a MINIMUM SELLING PRICE. As does Bose. Dealers can lose their dealerships if they sell below that. In BOse's case Minimum selling price IS MAP. HOWEVER. That may not apply to the Motif as that's a different division than the Pianos and Clavinovas, and Tyro's. I will check tomorrow if the PSRs have MSPs.

Retail Employees can get 10% under Dealer net bypassing their Employer's books. Which means Im getting a T3 and a PA800 for the street price of the T3. (Thats why I took a PT position when offered in the music store after I got off the raod)We bought our Yamaha C1, a Fender VG, A Taylor 410 for the wife, the Bose System, a Martin DC Aura and afew recording goodies for the studio since I began working there. Next up T3 and a PA800

The PSR900 shares a lot with the Tyros 2. But not much with the T3. That should give an idea of where the T3 has gone.

Yamaha also has a MINIMUM SELLING PRICE. As does Bose. Dealers can lose their dealerships if they sell below that. In BOse's case Minimum selling price IS MAP. HOWEVER. That may not apply to the Motif as that's a different division than the Pianos and Clavinovas, and Tyro's. I will check tomorrow if the PSRs have MSPs.

Retail Employees can get 10% under Dealer net bypassing their Employer's books.

The PSR900 shares a lot with the Tyros 2. But not much with the T3. That should give an idea of where the T3 has gone.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 09-14-2008).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#242571 - 09/15/08 06:53 AM Re: Tyros 3 and other keyboard prices: Are there any rules?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
The idea of MAP is protect the value and the ability of a company to make money and survive.

As performers we all do some discounted to get the gig. But there is an amount where you would rather stay home and watch tv instead of playing for certain low amounts.

In this time and economy, more and more places have been discounting heavily just to get a piece of the pie. Eventually the heavy discounters will either have to close or not be able to continue unless they can maintain the massive volume, which can not always be possible.

I received the Tyros 3 prices and myself called around, and found prices from full MAP to heavily discounted prices.

BTW the heavily discounted places will most likely 99.99% sure will not be pulled from Yamaha or denied shipping. Because everyone including Yamaha wants to sell and make money.

The only guideline is you can not advertise lower than MAP. You can sell for what you want.

Bose does have a very strict guideline which I applaud and wish all manufactures would follow.

But the reality is I lost over 75% of my Home and CAr electronics business and profits due to online and big box stores which have an incredible ability to discount heavily and practically no ability for knowledge and experience.

Yes you will occasionally find a decent person with some knowledge but most likely they will be moving on, since with little profits come little pay.

#242572 - 09/15/08 07:18 AM Re: Tyros 3 and other keyboard prices: Are there any rules?
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:
The idea of MAP is protect the value and the ability of a company to make money and survive.

As performers we all do some discounted to get the gig. But there is an amount where you would rather stay home and watch tv instead of playing for certain low amounts.

In this time and economy, more and more places have been discounting heavily just to get a piece of the pie. Eventually the heavy discounters will either have to close or not be able to continue unless they can maintain the massive volume, which can not always be possible.

I received the Tyros 3 prices and myself called around, and found prices from full MAP to heavily discounted prices.

BTW the heavily discounted places will most likely 99.99% sure will not be pulled from Yamaha or denied shipping. Because everyone including Yamaha wants to sell and make money.

The only guideline is you can not advertise lower than MAP. You can sell for what you want.

Bose does have a very strict guideline which I applaud and wish all manufactures would follow.

But the reality is I lost over 75% of my Home and CAr electronics business and profits due to online and big box stores which have an incredible ability to discount heavily and practically no ability for knowledge and experience.

Yes you will occasionally find a decent person with some knowledge but most likely they will be moving on, since with little profits come little pay.

Frank what do you think of Best Buy getting into MI? Good time or bad time?

I don't think the Tyros will have Minimum selling prices like Yamaha's Big Wood...Clavinova and Pianos.

I wish everyone would be like Bose as well but Bose is a "specialty dealer" with high priced product. But the BUYER is protected in these instances as well. Used they get a Premium because no consumer gets a discount, they all pay the same.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#242573 - 09/15/08 07:26 AM Re: Tyros 3 and other keyboard prices: Are there any rules?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
The Best Buy MI thing will end up killing off any ability for Music Stores to sell entry to mid level products.

But, as BB gets more into it and throws more money at the companies, it will take a big chunk out like they did to home, car, computer, cd sales.

So far 99% of my customers appreciate the knowledge and at least the personal touch I try to give them when or if they purchase from me. I can't always give the lowest price, but I try to make up for it anyway I can.

BTW

Thanks to all who have purchased from me, you all have made selling MI a very enjoyable experience.

Also, if I can get a count on who's coming to the Arranger JAM, I'll try to get some food, and coffee stuff

#242574 - 09/15/08 07:47 AM Re: Tyros 3 and other keyboard prices: Are there any rules?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:
Also, if I can get a count on who's coming to the Arranger JAM, I'll try to get some food, and coffee stuff

I wish there were a few dates tossed up for consideration so we could have taken a poll as to what was best.......as is fell on a very busy week.
Fran & I would have loved to attend....

have fun

#242575 - 09/16/08 07:55 AM Re: Tyros 3 and other keyboard prices: Are there any rules?
ytlevine Offline

Though it may not be right to the dealers among us...
Is there any way for someone to put up the prices they got, and from where, so we can see the lowest price?
Thanks.

#242576 - 09/16/08 07:03 PM Re: Tyros 3 and other keyboard prices: Are there any rules?
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
I too seem to be having some issues with Tyros3's prices. I see many dealers who are selling Tyros3 for less than the $3899.99 MSP.
I get the impression that as long as they don't "advertise" a lower price that's OK? Many sites tell you to call for a price. That way they can sell for less than MSP. Does this make sense? I'm trying to get the dealer I want to buy from to honor a lower price I saw. They say they have a price guarantee and will beat any "advertised" price within 30 days of purchase. Now I wonder what that means...........-charley

#242577 - 09/16/08 07:21 PM Re: Tyros 3 and other keyboard prices: Are there any rules?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It means 'buyer beware'!

What did yo' momma tell you about something that SEEMS to be too good to be true?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online