SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#242508 - 09/18/08 12:34 PM Re: Bebop Introduces Manny the Elvis Impersonator
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Well I love Elvis, especially the really early songs and the last ones. I enjoyed hearing Manny sing too. Only thing, I thought I was listening to a 20-something-year-old guy!
Manny is as old as I am, but not as old as Elvis would be.
Manny and I are both much more successful than Elvis because we are still alive. I never aspired to be a dead legend, and so far I've achieved that non-aspiration. Welcome aboard Manny!
DonM

#242509 - 09/18/08 01:04 PM Re: Bebop Introduces Manny the Elvis Impersonator
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Fran, this just shows how different some of us are. My list(partial-not necessarily in order):

* Joe Williams
* Billy Eckstine
* Mel Torme
* Oscar Brown, Jr.
* Nat Cole
* Chet Baker (the trumpet player).
* Lou Rawls
* Michael Franks
* Frank Sanatra
* Al Jureau
* Bobby McFerrin
* Somebody named UD, or something like that.
* Tony Bennett
* Don Mason (as good at his style as some of
the country giants-Eddie Arnold, Ray Price, etc.).
* Michael McDonald
* George Benson
* Kenny Rankin
* Billy Vera
* Rob Thomas
* Chris Rhea
* Gary Puckett
* Stevie Wonder

I like Dean Martin, but more as an entertainer than a vocalist. Elvis isn't even on my radar screen. Don't think he could hold a candle to any of the above.

To each, his/her own, I guess. If anyone hasn't heard some of these guys, Google them. You'll be surprised and pleased, I think.

Again, a lot of this, for me, at least, is the difference between the singer/musician and the singer/entertainer. In my mind, it's substance over fluff.

(Disclaimer) Russ Lay's opinion only-not meant to imply that these opinions are necessarily more spot on than any other expressed or implyed evaluations/rankings.

Whatever floats your boat.

Russ (obnoxious, hard-headed jazz dude) Lay.

#242510 - 09/18/08 01:09 PM Re: Bebop Introduces Manny the Elvis Impersonator
Dnj Offline

Pardon for the intrusion...but what does this have to do with Manny's introduction to the SZ?....... see what you started Fran?

#242511 - 09/18/08 01:11 PM Re: Bebop Introduces Manny the Elvis Impersonator
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Russ, now it would be interesting to ask your number 12 and 14..rated singers..who they consider....my bet Dean and Elvis will be in their top 5..

#242512 - 09/18/08 01:19 PM Re: Bebop Introduces Manny the Elvis Impersonator
captain Russ Offline

And I'd respect but not agree with their opinions.

R.

#242513 - 09/18/08 01:37 PM Re: Bebop Introduces Manny the Elvis Impersonator
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think this all started with BEBOP'S Elvis comparison. As I said, I am SURE (and have seen this when he started to post) that Manny doesn't compare himself to Elvis, any more than Donny does to Sinatra..!

It's over enthusiastic friends we have to look out for

Welcome Manny. Don't be put off by this free for all... On the whole, we are a decent bunch, and only kick puppies for sport when there's nothing better to do Making music is pretty much the focus of most of our lives, having fun doing it, and maybe making a buck or two... However, there are so many different ways of doing exactly the same thing (like skinning a cat! Do you start at the top or the bottom? ) it is seldom we all agree on anything.

Anything we can do to help you enjoy playing an arranger, improve your chops or technical aspects, feel free to ask. Anything of use that YOU have that we might not know, share it with us!

And me...? I like Elvis AND all the artists in Russ's list. Just because you like gourmet cuisine doesn't mean you can't adore a ballpark frank, too

MY list would have to start with the B's...

Bach
Brahms
Beethoven
Bruckner
Bartok etc..

But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate

Benson
Berlin
Beatles
Bob Marley, either!

#242514 - 09/18/08 02:25 PM Re: Bebop Introduces Manny the Elvis Impersonator
captain Russ Offline

Well said, Diki. My intention is certainly not to stir things up, offend or imply that I'm the only one who's right.

One of the last show's Elvis was to do in 77 (I think) was at Rupp Arena, here in Lexington. One of the managers at Rupp gave me tickets, which I wouldn't have used. No-one asked for refunds (not many, anyway), but, instead, kept the tickets as momentos. I gave mine to a dyed-in-the-wool Elvis fan after his death. She still has them, framed, of course, in a recreation room. I recall, she was extemely appreciative (thanks, Elvis).

Man, can't believe his death was over 30 years ago.

Russ (my, how time flys) Lay

#242515 - 09/18/08 08:47 PM Re: Bebop Introduces Manny the Elvis Impersonator
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
First, I want to welcome manny to S-Z ... I listened to a number of his recordings ,,, nice work, and even if it's only for yourself, sing your heart out, man !!!

Secondly, count me as one of the people here who can listen to most any genre/artist in music ...
Fortunately, I was raised on all types of music from my grandfather's Italian opera stars to his playing Italian folk music on his accordion, to my mom's pop music (Crosby, Sinatra, Jerry Vale, etc), to her country music, to her Italian music - never knew what would be on the radio when I got home from school ...

While studying accordion we had an accordion orchestra that played the music of Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Rossini, etc. ...

When we started a rock 'n' roll band in high school, Elvis became my 'idol' ...
But I also saw Maynard Ferguson at Madison Square Garden in NY when I was 16 yrs old - there isn't one person on Russ' list that I wouldn't pay to see - in fact, I've paid and seen a number of them and more in the jazz arena - many at the annual Newport Jazz festival here in RI ...

Like when I was a kid, I never know what I am going to listen to when I turn the stereo on ...

One of the things that makes this place great is the diversity of musical tastes, which is about as diverse as our selections of arrangers ...

t.

#242516 - 09/19/08 01:34 AM Re: Bebop Introduces Manny the Elvis Impersonator
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
* Al Jureau

And that is actually Al Jarreau. Al is just an awesome singer. Listen to his "L Is For Lover" album if you haven't already. I ran into Al back in 1999 in a small restaurant in LA. Freddie Ravel was playing there ( an awesome keyboard player ) and he invited Al up for a couple of songs as Al was there celebrating his birthday and Freddie had been working as his musical director. Fantastic stuff. When I walked out of the restaurant later I ran into Al and stopped for a quick chat with him. A very nice guy and awesome singer.

And another great singer not on Russ's list but in the same class as Al Jarreau is Carl Anderson who sadly passed away a few years ago. Listen to Carl's "Pieces Of A Heart" album and you will understand what I mean.

#242517 - 09/19/08 06:35 AM Re: Bebop Introduces Manny the Elvis Impersonator
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
I was at a NAMM show and Yamaha had Al J. , Tony Bennett & Tower of Power as guest performers.. That was a "wow" night !

Welcome to the SZ Manny... it's all good my friend.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online