SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#242316 - 09/10/08 10:58 AM Too many great toys....
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I just have too much stuff,,,and it is all great..in different ways..

I just purchased another Roland E-60..my second round with this board..

It is definitely an alternative ( a poor man's G70.. )...

I can't find a reason to sell (dump) any of my current boards..

My G70..is the cream of the top..does virtually anything I need a board for..even at more than 46 pounds..it is my "Heavy weight champion"

My E-60 is the perfect board with the trio (band)...with most of the same sounds and features from the G70..that are important for me....28 pounds too..

My M-Audio Sono 88...is a Super keyboard controller with it's built in Audio/midi interface, and sound source..Mixing capable from the Sono88..This is also great with the band ...and for recording in the studio..

My EMU X board 61..is the best feature laden controller I ever owned..4 zones and every assignable feature..great key feel too..Perfect controlling my soft synths...

My perfect as in new DX-7..is just to perfect to sell..it is stored away..Just knowing I own it is enough..

My 1963 custom made accordion..isn't going anywhere..it is as good as they come..and is still perfect..can't tell from new..

Guys and gals...if you see me offering the E-60 for sale...STOP me!!!! Remind me how I missed my first one after I sold it..

The Sono88 is some what available...I like it...a lot!!..But easily replaceable (newest model)...the rest of my boards..are staying put....

Almost forgot the Media Station....It is also only available if/when I get an updated model from Dom.....hint [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/smile.gif[/img]

And yes...the E-70 has a new home... [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img]

#242317 - 09/10/08 11:03 AM Re: Too many great toys....
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Guys and gals...if you see me offering the E-60 for sale...STOP me!!!! Remind me how I missed my first one after I sold it..

As if you will take any more notice of us than the last time...

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Almost forgot the Media Station....It is also only available if/when I get an updated model from Dom.....hint

So it can sound like a GOOD Casio instead of the bad one it does now?

#242318 - 09/10/08 11:03 AM Re: Too many great toys....
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Fran, pull that DX-7 out and play with it man! You can create some really great sounds with that synth... Sure we got all these repros in today's keyboards that replicate the DX, but you got THE REAL DEAL MAN! Give her some lovin
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#242319 - 09/10/08 11:08 AM Re: Too many great toys....
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
For someone who has and can keep so many items, I hope you now know why it is imperative to keep the G70 and E60. they are so similar that there is little reason to have to lug the heavy G70 around. Yet the E60 is missing some important elements that can only be found on the G70. So this time Fran, hold onto that E60.

I still love mine, just wish someone would drop a G70 on my back porch.

#242320 - 09/10/08 11:42 AM Re: Too many great toys....
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I wasn't gonna mention this, BUT, I acquired an E50. I plan to use it until the Ketron Audya arrives. So far, so good. It does a lot of things right, but I have to find a way to make the piano sound like one.
DonM

#242321 - 09/10/08 12:01 PM Re: Too many great toys....
squeak_D Offline

Don..,what about the piano bothers you on the E-50? I may be able to give you a few sound editing suggestions to bring out specific areas of the tone/patch if you're interested.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#242322 - 09/10/08 12:13 PM Re: Too many great toys....
DonM Offline

Well to me it sounds dull and lifeless. I got some tweaks from the Roland forum and I am going to try editing one or more of the voices.
I certainly appreciate any help I can get.
DonM

#242323 - 09/10/08 12:18 PM Re: Too many great toys....
squeak_D Offline

Ok....., dull and lifeless can go both ways Is the sound too dark, too bright, weak in the middle? 9 times out of 10 Don, a good piano patch can be made by adjustments to the filters, and minute adjustments to ADSR can bring a piano to life.

First thing I'd do (if you haven't already) is completey strip the sound of "EFFECTS". Sometimes a good tone/patch is lost due to poor preset effects.

Make sure that any adjustments to synth parameters are done before adding effects... This way you can hear the changes you make to the pure tone/patch itself. Then you can color it a bit more with effects.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 09-10-2008).]

#242324 - 09/10/08 12:27 PM Re: Too many great toys....
DonM Offline

Weak in the middle probably comes closest. I am leaving to go spend a couple of hours with it at the club.
Thanks,
DonM

#242325 - 09/10/08 02:11 PM Re: Too many great toys....
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Which one are you using?

Try the ClassicPiano. As far as I can tell from demos, it's the one from the G70. But it sounds as if it needs the filter opened up a bit. Try adding some small positive values to the cutoff parameter (maybe between +5 and +10)

One thing to bear in mind is... go play a real piano. Unfortunately, most arranger manufacturers force us to use a very bright, brittle sound (especially Yamaha), which after a while you simply get used to, and assume it's SUPPOSED to be like that. It is not! Sure, you want some sparkle when you open it up on them, but warmth and detail is important at low and mid velocities, IMO.

Two things to do... First try using the Recorder to 'capture' a recording of you playing the piano, then play it back on good speakers (not the built-ins). Sit back, relax, and ask yourself does it sound like a REAL piano?

It may take a while to get used to the less 'hyped' piano sound, but trust me.. I've been using the G70's piano on first call sessions to everybody's satisfaction - and we even have a Steinway in the studio! Once you start to compare it to the real thing, and not the others' brittle, 'cut at any cost' offerings, hopefully it will start to grow on you

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online