SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#24222 - 09/17/00 10:46 PM Will there be an Experience III Board?
Love & Peace Offline

Hey Roland, what about an experience III board with some of the good sounds from the newer cards like the bass and drums, orchestral II, hip hop, techno etc. Its about time. Don't put in throw away sounds but good quality sounds. I'd buy it, how about you?

#24223 - 09/18/00 06:11 AM Re: Will there be an Experience III Board?
ricok987 Offline

Loc: N Brunswick, NJ, US
Now why should Roland do that. The Experience I and II were promotional givaways that if you read the documentation were only replications of the wave forms of the SR-JV80 series sound expeansion cards. Instead-why not Discontinue the SR-JV80 cards. Just think-the Dance Card is going for $250-300.00 on Ebay. By limiting supply Roland can have a 500% profit margin instead of 250%. (This is assuming that the cost of manufacturing these cards is $50 US Dollars. Roland should then spend the extra profit in creating XV expansion Cards. This way all JV and XP users will be left out in the cold and have to upgrade to XV equipment if they want fresh new sounds. Then Roland can issue a XV Experience I card. This is a more likely scenario scince it is more profitable to Roland. Screw the consumer who wants anything else.

#24224 - 09/18/00 07:05 AM Re: Will there be an Experience III Board?
fvicente Offline

Loc: Port Moody, BC, Canada
Yeah, the Dance card is going for that much on E-Bay because Roland is not allowed to make them anymore. There were some samples on that card that were not copyright cleared. That is why they're going for that much. All of the other cards are going for less than that.

That is not really a good argument IMHO. However, the argument of they already have about 17 or so expansion cards available but only 2 for the XV is.

In answer to Love & Peace, No - I would not buy it. I hate these types of cards. They have a few sounds in each style only. Then, when you're looking for the sound you really want, you can't get it. Just MHO

Fernando

#24225 - 09/18/00 11:02 AM Re: Will there be an Experience III Board?
nowayout Offline

Loc: New York USA
Its an interesting idea but the earlier experience cards had mostly second rate sounds. If Roland put the first quality most sought after sounds on one card why would you buy each expansion board!? I only use 10-20 sounds off of each anyway. For that matter why doesn't Roland put the best sounds ontheir jv/xp/xv synth? For PROFIT!
(you bought the razor , now you have to buy the blades)

#24226 - 09/18/00 07:45 PM Re: Will there be an Experience III Board?
epu Offline

I used to own both Experience cards. The I board was okay, but what was interesting abvout it was that it had so many waves from the Vintage board. My attitud was like, why buy the Vintage card if I have this?

The Experience II board is great. Even with my three full expansion cards, I still hold a slot open for this board. It is very useful, had a large variety, and since I've made so many sequences with this card, I can't give it up.

An Experience III card make no sense at this point IMHO.

Personally, I think that Roland can make the most profit if they do what I suggested in an earlier thread. Roland should make light versions of their XV cards for the JV/XPs.

Why is that? Well, it's economically feasible for Roland. Plus, most if not all of the JV/XP owners out there have heard the XV. Most of hem are impressed, but will ont upgrade for many reasons. One is the price. two could be no sampling or maybe they are just comfortable with their gear by now and have invested a lot in Roland already.

If Roland released 8MB lite XV cards in the SRJV format, I'm pretty sure that it would be a big hit with JV/XP owners. They could "upgrade" to XV sounds or have a card full of SRX samples on an expansion board and won't have to break an arm or leg to do it.

At that rate, there will still be people who will buy an XV anyway. But then there would be thrice the sales - There would be SRX, SRJV and SRX Lite, not to mention XV, XP and JV sales.

This would benefit Roland and the consumer.

Just think what would go down if Roland released SRJV versions of SRX boards and SRJV versions of S760 CDs for us JV/XP owners, this could definitely fulfill Roland's future-proof obligation.

Also, why not do this since they included SRJV slots in the XV series. After all, Roland did remove the S0PCM slots on the new Super JVs and XPs right?

The Infamous EPU.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online