SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#242084 - 09/09/08 12:05 PM OT: New Browser...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
DonM clued me into a new browser called Google Chrome. I downloaded it, it's extremely fast, neat features, no frills and no problems.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#242085 - 09/09/08 12:33 PM Re: OT: New Browser...
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Hi Gary

I downloaded and installed the fast Chrome as well but Opera still have my preference.

Regards from Brazil,Chico

[This message has been edited by ChicoBrasil (edited 09-09-2008).]

#242086 - 09/09/08 01:32 PM Re: OT: New Browser...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Gary, I've been considering installing Chrome too. Why do you feel it's faster?

#242087 - 09/09/08 01:37 PM Re: OT: New Browser...
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
I hate to keep raining on your parade Gary but...

Google vs the World?

The computer world is powerfully dominated by Microsoft. To fundamentally change that equation means, in Google CEO Eric Schmidt's estimation, not a power-sharing arrangement but the decimation of the empire. In the language of geopolitics, Microsoft is the Soviet Union. The question is whether Google is Russian leader Boris Yeltsin or Vladimir Putin.

'Scary' Big Brother

What's so scary? A number of recent revelations about Chrome -- from an end-user license agreement that originally gave Google a perpetual license to all content transmitted through the browser (Google rewrote that) to the fact that Chrome by default transmits browsing history to Google -- suggest to Malone that Google is serious about controlling all the data on the Web.

"Microsoft only wanted all of our money. Increasingly, it seems that Google wants all of our data," Malone wrote.

"Google's intentions appear to go well beyond Microsoft and suggest a level of control and power that AT&T, IBM and Microsoft couldn't even dream of. For what they are attempting, the word 'scary' is incredibly inadequate," Enderle said.

Best,
Mike

#242088 - 09/09/08 02:11 PM Re: OT: New Browser...
cassp Offline

Here are the latest test resuults regarding Chrome, firefox 3.1 beta and MS IE8 beta. Interesting reading. http://www.pcworld.com/article/150828/browser_battle_firefox_31_vs_chrome_vs_ie_8.html

#242089 - 09/09/08 03:51 PM Re: OT: New Browser...
travlin'easy Offline

Cassp,

I'm on really slow dialup, and until a few days ago I was using Mozilla Firefox, which is a great browser. However, I recently downloaded the latest and greatest upgrade of Firefox and on dialup I noticed a huge slowdown of everything while online. (Wish I wouldn't have upgraded!)

Google Chrome, however, seems to be a bare bones browser that responds immediately to my mouse clicks, which has never been the case with Firefox or Microsoft's Internet Explorer8. Chrome seems, at least IMHO, to be a great browser and very user friendly.

Mike,

I'm too old to worry about Big Brother watching, none of this stuff is scary to me, and maybe someday this will bite me in the ass. But believe me, the person or organization doing the biting will not like what they're sinking their teeth into at all. And, if you think for one minute that every Internet site you've ever visited over these many years is not storing, using and selling your browser information, you gotta' believe in the Tooth Fairy too.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#242090 - 09/09/08 03:58 PM Re: OT: New Browser...
travlin'easy Offline

Cassp,

Interesting article. Lots of good information.

Thanks,

Gary

#242091 - 09/10/08 07:19 AM Re: OT: New Browser...
cassp Offline

I'm writing this post using my new Chrome browser. Even tho Big Brother is now collecting all my keystrokes, I'm enjoying the speed increase over my IE7 and FF2 browsers. Even the screen definition seems brighter and/or more attractive. I'm reading daily updates on usage and features - Chrome is certainly making an impact on the browser market. It's certainly worth the try, for now.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online