SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#241355 - 08/29/08 05:24 PM Added SRX board to the G70
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I recently added the Studio SRX board to my G70..and I must say..I love it..

Over the years I have been a big fan of Roland's expansion boards...going back to the JV series..

Roland knows how to sample and develop these boards...The vast majority being excellent..They all score in quality sound...

I also thought as Diki, that the G70 can live on it's internal sounds...and that is true....but the Studio board added some great sounds..that are some of my go to sounds now...Some of the electric pianos are SUPER...one reminds me of the MKS20 tremolo EP..
I have found 3 EP's that I use now...

There are a couple acoustic pianos that cut thru any mix...

The saxes for the most part...I find more usable than the stock saxes..not to say the saxes on the G70 are bad....The studio guitars are also excellent..

Some of the basses are now my go to choices..

Brass selection are also better than the stock G70..

I am glad I tried the Studio board....There are only 128 patches plus drums, divided into the 64 meg board..Other boards have as many as 300 plus patches in the same 64 megs..

I now wish the G70 had more slots..(my 5080 had 8 slots)..I believe I would load it up..

A neat thing the G70 does...it puts the sounds in the proper instrument groups..(placed at the latter pages) with EXP icon..

As an example..if you open the Electric Piano group ..the new EXP EP's reside on the last pages..

The EXP board sounds are able to use in styles and sequences too..

I have owned most of the JV-80 boards and maybe 5 SRX boards...None have disappointed me...although there were many sounds I was not interested in...but they did sound good too....

#241356 - 08/29/08 06:53 PM Re: Added SRX board to the G70
Dnj Offline

Does Diki have the SRX board in his G70 also?

#241357 - 08/30/08 04:15 AM Re: Added SRX board to the G70
Anonymous
Unregistered

I posted on the Roland forum about the SRX-07 "Ultimate Keys" board which I recently installed in my E-80, and which has some of the best Hammond patches I have ever heard - and being a Hammond player, I am generally pretty unconvinced by the wannabes. It also has a few terrific sounds I was not expecting from a board that majors on vintage key sounds, including a breathy tenor sax even better than the (already superb) one on the E-80, and the best and most playable Spanish guitar I have heard to date.

Fran is right when she says Roland have always been good at this - I remember some excellent expansion boards for my U-220; sounds which are still very useable today.

#241358 - 08/30/08 06:16 AM Re: Added SRX board to the G70
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Seamaster:
[B]Fran is right when she says Roland have always been good at this - B]

Since when is Fran a She? hahahahaha

#241359 - 08/30/08 08:54 AM Re: Added SRX board to the G70
Anonymous
Unregistered

Apologies if not. I am new here.

#241360 - 08/30/08 09:26 AM Re: Added SRX board to the G70
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I just checked...I am still a guy..

No problem here....

#241361 - 08/30/08 09:46 AM Re: Added SRX board to the G70
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
That has always been my problem with Roland.....They make you buy the really good sounds rather than just building them into the keyboard. The only expansion boards should contain sounds NOT already on the keyboard not rehashed and better sounds that are already on the keyboard.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#241362 - 08/30/08 10:41 AM Re: Added SRX board to the G70
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
OTOH, if all the major sounds are already there, it would seem logical that improved sounds would be the only course to take.

#241363 - 08/30/08 11:16 AM Re: Added SRX board to the G70
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie9:
OTOH, if all the major sounds are already there, it would seem logical that improved sounds would be the only course to take.

True if they did not release the SRX cards at the SAME TIME as the keyboards/ Just put THOSE sounds in the keyboards.

That would be like Yamaha putting regular sounds in the Tyros then having to buy the MEGA and Sart sounds on an expansion card....
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#241364 - 08/30/08 03:54 PM Re: Added SRX board to the G70
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
[B] True if they did not release the SRX cards at the SAME TIME as the keyboards/ Just put THOSE sounds in the keyboards.

B]

Actually the SRX cards were there years before the G70 and E80 came out.
I have the ultimate keys and a synth SRX in my VR760 installed which is years ago now.

Usabillity of the ulitmate keys:
While I don't need the hammond and ep sounds (since the vr760 is doing these sounds much better) I do use the old farfisa and vox sounds(doors) and there's indeed an acoustic piano and one wurly I use..

Fred

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online