SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#240756 - 08/24/08 08:29 PM moving on
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Well, I have decided I am moving away from arranger keyboards and back to workstations.

A Yamaha XS7 to put a name on it.

It is far more MIDI/AUDIO friendly (editing, recording, control etc, etc), and it also sounds pretty good ... and the new OS even allows you to connect a keyboard (qwerty) to the USB and edit with that.

I am really getting tired of doing cover material, and I want to re-visit recording original music, which I know IS possible on the PA, but there are less "hoops and bars" using a dedicated workstation.

I had a long and honest think about it and found that I was only using the pure arranger mode on the PA about 10% of the time and essentially just using it as a live keyboard and to store up songs on the hard drive, which I can do with my small laptop. And so I cannot justify anymore, the capital tied up in it.

I have also bought the Helicon Harmony M to go with it, and if after I sell the PA I have some spare cash, I might buy a s/h T2, just for the fun of mucking around with it in my leisure time.

So I will probably not visit this forum as much in the future because I envisage I will be spending the bulk of on-line time on the Yamaha Motif forums from now on.

I will still be around SZ from time to time, but as my focus is going off arrangers I probably won't participate much in the discussions.

All the best to everyone,

Cya

Dennis

#240757 - 08/24/08 08:44 PM Re: moving on
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Best of luck to ya', Dennis.

Pop back in here with some tracks when you are happy with them. Love to hear original stuff...

BTW, if production of original stuff is going to be your main thrust, don't try too hard to make the XS do it all. Especially drums... Give BFD or DFH2 a try, even EZ Drummer if you are on a budget, on your DAW ( or even a spare computer if you have one!). No keyboard even comes CLOSE to those, IMO...

We use a combination of BFD and Stylus RMX in the studio for mockups and the occasional final track, and done right, it's amazing!

Get the drums right, and the rest just flows...

#240758 - 08/24/08 09:04 PM Re: moving on
Dnj Offline

#240759 - 08/24/08 09:15 PM Re: moving on
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Had to laugh during the video...

"It sounds like it's accompaniment, but it's not! It's all arpeggiators..."

My God! Just SAYING the word 'accompaniment' seems to be the kiss of death for younger buyers. What do they think these arpeggiators are doing? Making coffee?

#240760 - 08/24/08 09:19 PM Re: moving on
miden Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Best of luck to ya', Dennis.

BTW, if production of original stuff is going to be your main thrust, don't try too hard to make the XS do it all. Especially drums... Give BFD or DFH2 a try, even EZ Drummer if you are on a budget, on your DAW ( or even a spare computer if you have one!). No keyboard even comes CLOSE to those, IMO...

We use a combination of BFD and Stylus RMX in the studio for mockups and the occasional final track, and done right, it's amazing!

Get the drums right, and the rest just flows...

Thanks for the kind thoughts and the heads-up Diki.

I had heard BFD was almost market leader in drums, so I might have a good look at it now. I do have JamStix 2 which has some pretty good drums, and you can use BFD as a plugin with it, so yes it will be definitely worth a look.

Cheers
Dennis

Thanks for the links Donny, I have visited both several times whilst deciding if the XS was the way forward for me. I got mine at a very VERY good price, which also helped the decision

#240761 - 08/24/08 09:20 PM Re: moving on
miden Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Had to laugh during the video...

"It sounds like it's accompaniment, but it's not! It's all arpeggiators..."

My God! Just SAYING the word 'accompaniment' seems to be the kiss of death for younger buyers. What do they think these arpeggiators are doing? Making coffee?

Yeah I picked up on that in Bert's monologue as well...LOL, he probably says the opposite on a Tyros demo!!

D

#240762 - 08/24/08 09:27 PM Re: moving on
Dnj Offline

Dennis ....
all the best to you in your music!

#240763 - 08/24/08 10:11 PM Re: moving on
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Dennis,

I am in the same camp. To this point anyway, I've kept my PA80 and Tyros 2, mainly because I still do about 15-20 live solo performances a year, and it has nice acoustic emulations. My MZ2000, though I love the synth voices, will be going up for sale soon since space is getting tight. Eventually, either the PA80 or the T2 will go too.

I'll keep one, but that's all I really need. I know I'd get much more return for the T2 than the PA80, and the styles on the PA80 fit more to the type of music I play, but I'd miss those acoustic panel voices on the T2.

Still, for quite a while I used the PA80 and Motif ( Classic ) in tandem for live work, and I can still do that if I choose. I also have the added capability of using VSTis for live work. It's a bit more complicated, but for the small amount of live shows I plan on doing, it's not that big a deal.

There was a time not that long ago I was considering going in the other direction and parting with my Motif ES, but I've reacquainted myself with it, and added a Korg M3 to boot. The Karma functions absolutely rocks, and so do the synth sounds and scapes. I really had wanted to go for the XS, and it's a great sounding board, definitely a step up from the ES, but I'd really miss my plug in boards if I did. The M3 and ES in tandem is a great combination, and I use the VSTi's as well, though not so much like before, now that I have 2 pieces of hardware that I like working with.

Like you, I'm not very much interested in playing cover tunes these days. I don't like the T2 drums at all, no matter how they are tweaked, and the sampling function, especially for drums, is pretty much useless. Say what you might about styles vs arpeggiators, but after working extensively with both, for me there is no comparison. Plus, I like a lot of synth sounds, and no arranger, not even the PA series, which I still think is the best of the lot, can provide anything close to the soundscapes possible on the top workstations and even quite a few of the free vsti's.

BTW, BFD and EZ Drummer totally rock. I definitely agree with Diki on that one. Jamstix virtual drummer rocks too, and really gives me that live played sound that I miss in most hardware. For that matter, even the older versions of Jammer Pro, ( all before version 5 ) with the right drum modules, give me a much better variety and live feel in a song. The ghosting function allows for a real feel,and except for what Jamstix and some of the Karma patterns produce, I've found nothing that comes close to it, but for whatever reason Soundtrek dropped it from v5 on.

Good Luck and best regards..

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 08-24-2008).]

#240764 - 08/25/08 08:38 AM Re: moving on
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I understand, Dennis. Believe you'll do GREAT at whatever you try. I have come to look forward to your posts and hope you'll take a minute to send me an email occasionally to let me know how you're doing; personally, as well as with your music.

We think a lot alike, and I'm glad to know you!

Be well,

Russ

#240765 - 08/25/08 01:23 PM Re: moving on
miden Offline

Thanks Russ, I really appreciate your thoughts. I will try to stay in touch and I will also pop in to SZ from time to time as well.

All the best to you and yours,
Dennis

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online