SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#240699 - 08/24/08 06:30 PM Re: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise....
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Diki, I do agree with what you are saying, totally..

What I was meaning was that as long as the person knows how to voice the rest of the chord, ie with the right hand, you can create those chords by using a one finger chord system.. Press C and you get the cmaj chord left side, add the augmented 5 and 7 and flat 9 with the right hand, and there you have the C+7b9, it can be done, I don't do it that way and you certainly don't, BUT others may want to.

HOWEVER and the big BIG BUT is....as you said, they would need to have the knowledge of how to construct the embellishments with the right hand and in what context they can then be applied..

A lot of the time when I am in pure arranger mode,(which is rare), I will deliberately only play a simple triad as I really cannot stand some of the crappy embellishments the arrangers throw in, so I add these myself.

Although I must admit that even though they are only triads, I still HAVE to play them with three fingers, even if its not necessary with the Korg Expert recognition mode. It just doesn't feel right otherwise.

But I do understand why other players, ESPECIALLY those with an accordion background would prefer a 1 or 2 finger chord system for the left hand.

Mind you, these players would put even the best current keyboard players a bit in the shade with their superb right hand technique and dexterity. Not to mention a fundamental mastery of chord structures.

Just gotta listen to some of the jazz accordionists to see that.

I figure its just one of those, "everything in its place and a place for everything" type situaions when it comes to how users choose to get to chordal results.

Dennis

#240700 - 08/24/08 06:34 PM Re: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise....
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
OMG ... I can't wait to get back to school to see the maturity of my TEENAGERS. You guys need a new hobby or something to amuse yourselves. This post has gotten horribly abusive. Lighten up, please.

#240701 - 08/24/08 06:37 PM Re: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise....
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Me, I'd want this LONG before I gave a hoot about the stupid harmonizer....

Harmonizer...........one of the best, if not the very best feature on an arranger for the OMB who utilizes every tool to polish an act. I would NEVER go back to a board without a first class harmonizer (like the 800). It is just too cool and really separates a lot of performers.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#240702 - 08/24/08 06:58 PM Re: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise....
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I only wish I could find more than a tiny number of demos where it doesn't sound like a bad kazoo. And those are ones where it sounds like a GOOD kazoo!

This effect, IMO, sounds gimmicky at it's BEST, and distractingly terrible at it's average. Don't ask me what I think of it at it's worse!

We've got an Eventide Orville in the studio. And I don't even like that much! And it cost more than my whole G70 The day someone plays a demo that the harmonizer in an arranger can make you sound like more than one person actually singing (not vocoding one voice), I'll re-evaluate the feature. But with a total lack of any convincing examples (and I HAVE heard 'A Nightingale Sang'!) in the real world, I just have to pass on this one.

I'd rather PLAY a harmony on a sax sound, or something like that... At least there you can get contrapuntal and dissonant, if you want to.

#240703 - 08/24/08 07:20 PM Re: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise....
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
At least there you can get contrapuntal and dissonant, if you want to.

LMAO, m8, some of the performers I have heard using a harmoniser get PLENTY of dissonance!!!

Seriously though used sparingly and in the right place, they are not too bad, particularly the Helicons..They some pretty good algorithms and have invested heavily in R+D to get good sounding boxes.

Dennis

#240704 - 08/24/08 07:31 PM Re: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise....
Diki Offline

'Not too bad' is just not good enough, IMO...

'Not too bad' drums don't cut it, 'not too bad' pianos don't cut it, and 'not too bad' Hammond's don't cut it, either

At these inflated prices, 'not too bad' IS too bad, in my book!

I'm still waiting to hear anything from the real world that ISN'T 'too bad' for me...

#240705 - 08/24/08 07:33 PM Re: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise....
zuki Offline

Outstanding! That means I might be one of few that makes it sound like the real deal There is the occasional onlooker who knows and comments on its authenticity - good enough for me and for what I hear. No more paying band members who can't carry a tune in a basket.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#240706 - 08/24/08 07:51 PM Re: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise....
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Outstanding! That means I might be one of few that makes it sound like the real deal .

Hmmmmmm?....At least Uncle Dave showed us what a Voc Harmonizer can do in the hands of a Pro KB player on a "Nightingale Sang" .....
http://www.boydsongs.com/A%20Nightingale%20Sang.html

using it VERY sparingly at most is the key.
most of them really stink.

#240707 - 08/24/08 08:10 PM Re: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise....
zuki Offline

I agree........I said a "few", which would (in my ears) certainly include UD.

Donny, I have to say it again...you were the inspiration that lead me to check out the PA800 and I will be eternally grateful Your initial assessment was right on!

In time, I will let my work out of the bag. I'm about done with my studio setup and will offer tunes after that.

#240708 - 08/24/08 08:14 PM Re: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise....
Diki Offline

Yep... it's great what he has done with this, but it utterly fails to convince me that those are real singers.

If this is the BEST the feature can do, that doesn't bode well, IMO.

Anyone point me somewhere with a different approach?

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online