SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#240659 - 08/24/08 07:23 AM Re: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise....
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
From day one the G series {starting with the G800) was considered (and called) a Professional arranger...To me that means ..to use in any "professional" manner seen fit...and in my case....that includes on the road besides in the studio...

They were built durable..not to just sit in the studio..

#240660 - 08/24/08 07:37 AM Re: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise....
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
If the rumor is true that Wersi is making their cabinets from melted down and recycled prophylactics...they would surely be more flexible than the Roland.

BTW...the G70 is a well built (heavy) home keyboard (hence the single finger chord mode) that is sometimes used by professionals.

#240661 - 08/24/08 07:50 AM Re: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise....
Dnj Offline

I wonder how many sales Roland lost due to the weight & size of the G70?

#240662 - 08/24/08 08:17 AM Re: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise....
jwyvern Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
If the rumor is true that Wersi is making their cabinets from melted down and recycled prophylactics...they would surely be more flexible than the Roland.

BTW...the G70 is a well built (heavy) home keyboard (hence the single finger chord mode) that is sometimes used by professionals.

For a minute there Ian, I thought you were actually saying,
"Hence the single finger chord mode that is sometimes used by professionals."

John

#240663 - 08/24/08 08:31 AM Re: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise....
Dnj Offline

Although I dont.......many professionals use the ONE FINGER MODE.......

Is it looked down upon?

#240664 - 08/24/08 08:36 AM Re: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise....
Fran Carango Offline

Actually Ian..Roland uses an "intelligent" mode..not a one finger mode...
I hope I don't have to explain the difference to you..

For you guys that drop a note with in a chord while trying to play in arranger mode..

Look at it as a forgiving mode for lazy players..

Now Yamaha is definitely a one finger play unit..and not very well..

#240665 - 08/24/08 08:38 AM Re: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise....
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I wonder how many sales Roland lost due to the weight & size of the G70?

I'm sure Roland didn't even consider using a sub par build quality in order to sell more G70's. You can't expect a product to withstand the rigors of daily use on and off the road if its made like a plastic toy. I've yet to see Roland build their professional products with materials most children's toys are made of. Yamaha has the monopoly on that Market. Yamaha's theory... "If you build it with cheap plastic, garish and cheap lighted buttons, and a flimsy feeling 61 note keybed, they will come". So far the sheep have followed wherever Yamaha has herded them.

#240666 - 08/24/08 08:42 AM Re: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise....
Fran Carango Offline

AMEN!!!!...

#240667 - 08/24/08 09:15 AM Re: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise....
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Being a synthesizer manufacturer who actually made some of the finest synths ever produced, Roland (unlike Yamaha), saw fit to have extensive synthesis features within their arrangers and workstations. If one delves into the inner workings of their arranger as Fran found out, there's often far more under the hood than you ever expected.

Roland's keyboards and modules also make great use of Expansion cards, unlike Yamaha who often produce a product that can use expansion cards although heavily gilded. For example... on my Yamaha 9000 Pro it had expansion slots which Yamaha heavily touted but they were mere afterthoughts. Most of the editing for the expansion cards wasn't implemented within the 9000 Pro's software and in fact the real time hardware itself couldn't be utilized to control the feature set of the expansion card. That's like saying we're going to give you a Superbird Hemi 440 but you can only drive it on 2 cylinders. What the hell!

Leave it to Yamaha to tout a product as professional, expandable, and future proof, only to knowingly sell a product that was outdated before it ever hit the market. The 9000 Pro didn't fail because it wasn't built well, actually it was the only Yamaha arranger that was well made as far as construction went and one of the primary reasons I purchased a 9000 Pro. It failed because what Yamaha claimed it could do it couldn't deliver on and it's software was so bug ridden and its CPU so underpowered, it couldn't perform the tasks Yamaha claimed. Their only option.... discontinue the 9000 Pro and try not to lay claim to it like a redheaded stepchild.

Yamaha manufactured the CS80, the holy grail of analog synthesizers and a personal favorite of mine. Why then can't they make an arranger or workstation that has extensive synthesis features that are easy to use, sound fantastic, and aren't packaged in a manner akin to Playskool? Actually that's disrespecting Playskool because they build their products well to withstand the rigors of small children.

I realize the bulk of users buying Yamaha PSR and arranger products are home users but for the few professionals that do use these products, Yamaha's build quality is laughable. I'd never even have considered buying the 9000 Pro if it were built in the same manner a Tyros 2 is. From the specs it looks like the Tyros 3 will be the same build of the Tyros 2 yet it costs a ridiculous amount of money. For me that just means one less purchase consideration.

#240668 - 08/24/08 10:21 AM Re: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise....
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Actually Ian..Roland uses an "intelligent" mode..not a one finger mode...
I hope I don't have to explain the difference to you..

)

Nope...no need to explain...I guess if you need to use it, and you're a professional (by your own admission), then it is serving it's purpose.

It is still basically a home keyboard IMO, but it's okay if you disagree...it's not that important.

Ian

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online