SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#240669 - 08/24/08 10:26 AM Re: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise....
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
You can call his G-70 a "Home Keyboard" all you want, but NOTHING Yamaha makes in the arranger department compares to the PRO BUILD QUALITY of the Roland G-70. At least Roland has the sense that when they make a pro arranger..., they at least BUILD it like a pro arranger... Sorry, but the same can't be said for the so called PRO arranger Tyros 2...

You can call it a home keyboard, but at least Roland builds it so it CAN be taken out of the home and truely stand up to road use... Can you say the same thing about your cardboard S-900 and that very delicate shell on the Tyros 2...?????

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 08-24-2008).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#240670 - 08/24/08 10:38 AM Re: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise....
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Can you say the same thing about your cardboard S-900 and that very delicate shell on the Tyros 2...?????

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 08-24-2008).]

Certainly I can...I've toured with a Tyros 2 and S900 and they were both problem free...and a real joy to transport because of their much lighter weight.

Weight does not always translate into quality...or we'd all be using the old style cell phones...remember them?

Stay in the dark ages if you wish...but most of us enlightened players have moved on to better and lighter instruments.

Ian

#240671 - 08/24/08 10:45 AM Re: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise....
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
You keep falling for that one Ian. Lighter doesn't mean better built. Lighter 99.99% of the time translates to cheap and shotty construction and lower quality parts. Perhaps you're stuck in the dark ages as it's so often funny that again 99.99% of the time the whiners in regards to keyboard weight come from arranger players.

So many people lug around pro synths EVERY FREAKIN DAY TO MULTIPLE GIGS. Why is it always the arranger performers crying about a keyboard weighing more than 25 lbs? Geez, a company builds a pro quality instrument (one that truely compares to the pro workstations), and look at all the boo hooing about the weight.

I think the Tyros 2 sounded great, enjoyed the styles, loved the key action so much I wanted to make love to the keybed, BUT MY GOODNESS...., Jesus standing there himself couldn't have convinced me I was playing a so called PRO instrument. How cheaply built that thing was compared to other pro keyboards.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#240672 - 08/24/08 10:52 AM Re: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise....
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
You keep falling for that one Ian.

No Squeak...it is you who keeps falling for that one...enlighten yourself...live in the "now' use a Yamaha and be one with the universe.

Ian

#240673 - 08/24/08 10:54 AM Re: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise....
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Ian, I am one of the players that use at least 4 fingers to play the arranger recognition... sometimes I will even add the thumb..

I was taught chords..both theory and how to play them...with both hands.....

#240674 - 08/24/08 10:55 AM Re: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise....
Fran Carango Offline

what happened to my topic...

#240675 - 08/24/08 10:57 AM Re: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise....
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Ian, I am one of the players that use at least 4 fingers to play the arranger recognition... sometimes I will even add the thumb..

I was taught chords..both theory and how to play them...with both hands.....

Sorry Fran...my mistake...I was just going by the demos I heard you play.

Forgive me.

Ian

#240676 - 08/24/08 11:25 AM Re: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise....
Fran Carango Offline

Ian, if you are allowed in the USA..stop by and maybe we can trade 4's as Russ says...Then ..just maybe we can separate the skilled from the bull..

So are you still touring with that light keyboard?
Where do you tour? From one side of town to the other?

Maybe a coffee shop?......

#240677 - 08/24/08 11:32 AM Re: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise....
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I wonder how many sales Roland lost due to the weight & size of the G70?

Probably no more that the almost as equally weighty (four pounds lighter) G1000 lost.

Roland's big problem was adding almost a grand to the price compared with the G1000.

As to build quality, perhaps Roland build them that way because their customers are usually SO happy with them, they keep them for decades, unlike the apparently dissatisfied Yamaha customers, who can't WAIT to trade over to whatever new model Yamaha come out with, rendering LONG-term reliability moot...

I expect at least ten years or more of constant gigging out of anything I use. I see a lot of bad button and keyboard problems from those that try to push a Yamaha that hard. Maybe this is why they always seem so desperate fro the NEXT Yamaha to come out? I am certainly in no rush for a new Roland....

From what I've read here, it seems to me that so many bailed on the G70 at first because they were usually Yamaha users (it's a COMPLETELY different OS and mode of operation) who just never put enough time into it to actually learn even basic operation, yet alone the in-depth aspects of the OS that Fran is talking about here. And some passed on it in it's early days, before the OS upgrades fixed most of the niggles.

But hey! Keep passing up on it, guys! Sooner or later I'm going to pick me up a nice cheap backup G70, from someone too impatient to understand what they are letting slip out their hands Thank God for Yamaha players! There wouldn't be nearly as many good condition used G70's running around if it wasn't for them

And for those that their health is such that they CAN'T carry a G70 (or even roll it!), just exactly how many of you have even tried an E60? Most of the G70's strengths, and sounds (and style compatibility) at 28 lb. From what I've read, barely a handful have even played one. A 76, at 28 lb.! What are you waiting for? A Yamaha 76?

#240678 - 08/24/08 11:36 AM Re: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise....
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Then ..just maybe we can separate the skilled from the bull..

I have already done that Fran...that's why I mentioned your demos.

Ian

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online