SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#240572 - 08/23/08 12:39 AM Reality
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Always best to compare with Real sounds and styles.
http://www.4shared.com/file/60113130/59f3e7fd/Real.html

Bill

#240573 - 08/25/08 04:25 AM Re: Reality
abacus Offline

Interesting.
No comments as to how good your keyboards sound in comparison.

#240574 - 08/25/08 05:32 AM Re: Reality
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
which arranger is that?

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.myspace.com/kidconcert
www.balloonanimal.com
www.1000colorcards.com

#240575 - 08/26/08 02:02 PM Re: Reality
kalimero Offline

Loc: Dubrovnik, Croatia
The arranger is Wersi (Abacus I guess :-)).

Very nice sound, but for very much money too. :-/

Abacus, what is the name of the first song in a file?

#240576 - 08/26/08 03:50 PM Re: Reality
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You know, there is some great stuff in there...

But the thing you always seem to do, which is post this stuff without the slightest trace of info tends to work against it, in a way. It seems you WANT us to beg you for details, so you can spring your 'surprise!' on us, as if there were any question about what keyboard it is

But, as 'open' as the Wersi is, HOW this is done is FAR more important than on what. Is is styles? Is it stock sounds? Is it sequenced, either fully or partially? Is it VSTi's? Is it recorded into a DAW in multitrack fashion? Is it user demo, or the same 'tweaked' and sequenced factory stuff that some tend to criticize on Big 3 demos, for not being 'pure' arranger (not that I give a damn, anyway).

You see, the deal with the Wersi is, as a VSTi host, well, just about any knowledgeable person here knows how incredibly great you can make a composition sound with those (VSTi's, that is). With enough computing power, with a DAW to do each track at a time, with the best libraries, you can do stuff that Hollywood would use, any day.

But to incorporate it into an arranger, you have to be able to do it all live, at least as far as ALL the instruments at the same time, even if performance tricks can't ALL be played simultaneously. Not one or two parts and a .wav backing, if that. It's ability to sound this good LIVE is of paramount importance, because any of us can put together a computer system to do the VSTi thing, at a FRACTION of the cost of a Wersi. The ONLY reason to put it in an arranger is to play it live... ALL OF IT.

So, a LOT more info (hard to get LESS, now, isn't there?!) would be very welcome, to sort out what any of us (with talent and chops) could get out of any DAW/VSTi system, from what we could actually PLAY live on a Wersi.

There are plenty of factory demos for Yamaha, Roland and Korg that can be equally inspiring (or at least close!) that leave NO doubt they were done on a stock instrument. Maybe some of them are sequenced, or arranger play, then sequence edited, but ALL of them were done on the stock sounds. Even though a couple of them DO have samplers that could add all kinds of extras in and some have expansion slots. You won't find those in the factory demos.

So, Bill, would you do us all a favor, and include FAR more info on what you post. It could help defuse a lot of trouble here, to be more specific about what everything is, what year it was made, what version OS it was made on, what model it was made on, what VSTi's it uses, whether it is sequenced or a style, etc., etc..

To post, one day, a demo of styles that sound no better than a Casio, and then another day, one that sounds like this is confusing the heck out of everybody (well, me, anyway ). So, please name your sources...

And now, the obligatory criticism... Well, it's hard to fault the tracks themselves, some exemplary playing and sounds. BUT... (here it comes ) it still seems mired in the sixties at best, as far as musical style goes. All well and good to convince well heeled retirees from Europe, but for the brand to grow, it has to appeal to younger players (you know, like under sixty!), and use more modern musics (hard to think of seventies music as 'modern', but compared to this.... really!).

Cherry-pick what you post a lot more. Bill, just the latest stuff, and post a LOT more details about how it was made, where you found it, who did it, and using what, and a lot of the Wersi-bashing MIGHT slow down!

#240577 - 08/27/08 01:07 PM Re: Reality
abacus Offline

Hi kalimero

The tune in question is called The Lonely Shepherd by Gheorghe Zamfir.

Details

All the details about this thread are contained in the Title, Info and link itself.

Bill

[This message has been edited by abacus (edited 08-27-2008).]

#240578 - 08/27/08 01:44 PM Re: Reality
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Diki,

Gotta' agree. If you post something like this, post some details that tells everyone how the sounds were achieved, created, etc.. Detailed posts with this type of information are very constructive and what kick-started this site many years ago.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#240579 - 08/27/08 03:22 PM Re: Reality
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
I just wonder why Abacus posts a MP3 starting with the original Zamfir recording (only you got the right and left channel switched and made a bad recording with lots of noise.) I assume the rest of the MP3 is also just fragments of original recordings. No arranger whatsoever. What's the point? We all know what REAL instruments sound like.

------------------
- THE DUTCH KEYBOARD FORUM
http://www.keyboardforum.nl

#240580 - 08/27/08 11:38 PM Re: Reality
abacus Offline

The song is taken direct from the CD, and converted straight into mp3, therefore unless the recording engineer got the channels crossed and/or added noise, then it is just simply the problems that mp3 conversions suffer from. (The main reason I don’t take a blind bit of notice of online demos, and ALWAYS hear and play the boards live before I give MY final opinion on their sounds)

As to everybody knowing what Real instruments sound like, then I am afraid a lot of people don’t, as otherwise they would not be promoting artificially enhanced (Not a true emulation of Real instruments) online demos, as some form of Nirvana. (Hence the Reality check)

BTW I did a search on the web for the song, and all of them I could find, had the channels the same way as the recording posted.

Bill

#240581 - 08/28/08 06:48 AM Re: Reality
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
[B]The song is taken direct from the CD, and converted straight into mp3, therefore unless the recording engineer got the channels crossed and/or added noise, then it is just simply the problems that mp3 conversions suffer from.

Bull. I have the track on a original CD here (I even have the vinyl-edition somewhere ) and this "conversion" was done terribly. I can send you a MP3 that sounds _good_. Your MP3 sounds like an audio-cassette was the source.

Now I understand why you think MP3-demo's suck: you don't know how to make them properly.

------------------
- THE DUTCH KEYBOARD FORUM
http://www.keyboardforum.nl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online