SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#240556 - 08/25/08 10:16 AM Re: Why aren't most of you playing Ketron's?
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
Quote: Dnj
Ketron is a very small company all around versus Yamaha.
-----------------------------------------
Nobody gets any bigger without making an effort so, unfortunately, that's the way they're going to stay, (unless they go bust altogether) if they don't make an effort to sell their (extremely good) products.
Tony, Sheffield UK

#240557 - 08/25/08 05:22 PM Re: Why aren't most of you playing Ketron's?
moldmaker Offline

Loc: Illinois
I have also had Ketron products dating back to the MS-40 & because of the same type of problems that Russ described, I am seriously considering Roland or Korg for my next arranger.

#240558 - 08/25/08 05:44 PM Re: Why aren't most of you playing Ketron's?
Dnj Offline

Don't you think more people will switch to other s ...since next they intend to introduce the AUDYA at a price point of over $5000.00 US....who is directing Ketrons marketing worldwide?

#240559 - 08/25/08 06:08 PM Re: Why aren't most of you playing Ketron's?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Either Bill Gates or Warren Buffett, from all indications...

#240560 - 08/25/08 06:16 PM Re: Why aren't most of you playing Ketron's?
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by moldmaker:
I have also had Ketron products dating back to the MS-40 & because of the same type of problems that Russ described, I am seriously considering Roland or Korg for my next arranger.

I sure would like to see one of the above mentioned companies offer a module based on their top-‘o-the-line arranger.
Ciao,
Jerry

#240561 - 08/25/08 07:31 PM Re: Why aren't most of you playing Ketron's?
moldmaker Offline

Loc: Illinois
I agree with Jerry. It would be great to see an arranger in the form of a module for midi accordion players or midi guitar players. It would be great to have another option other than the Ketron line.

#240562 - 08/25/08 09:04 PM Re: Why aren't most of you playing Ketron's?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

That’s a mighty good response I got on this topic….I appreciate all the feedback. Been reading everything whenever I had time over the weekend. Thought I would jot down some thoughts I had.

AJ: “Just like BMW and Mercedes Benz may not be liked by many, the few that love these cars would buy them again and again ... despite their high prices. There are those who love the quiet smooth ride of the Toyota Camry and would stick to these over and over again.”

Lucky: That pretty much answers the question. Some prefer Ginger Ale and some prefer Root Beer. Doesn’t matter how good the product is…..it’s a “preference” for the “suit of clothes” that YOU wear best.

Anthony Johnson: “Here in the UK, the answer is simple -No importer, no dealers and no Ketron answers to emails. As a big Ketron fan, I've asked the question before - Do Ketron really want to sell their keyboards at all? Doesn't look like it from where I'm standing.

Lucky: Statements like this are what I get nervous about. I like to know that a company not only cares about it’s customers, but also about people in general. Just ‘cause you’re not selling in a country, doesn’t mean you ignore their inquiries. Will I be a victim of “selective recognition” some day?

Diki (can’t forget good old Diki): “For me, it's simple... no lookey, no touchy, no sale.

Lucky: That’s exactly what I’m up against. I remember I couldn’t get enough of playing that SD5, but after a year or two, I wouldn’t trust my memory!

At one time I purchased (without hearing it) the EV SB300 system (two tops…two portable subs) based solely on the EV name. The rig cost me $2500. The tops are incredible, but the two bass cabinets have been sitting there decomposing from non-use. Awful, muddy bass that I wouldn’t even put on my computer speakers. That is the first and last time I will make a purchase without doing a test run.

Zuki: “Well, for me, I must've had a lemon. It was the most awful experience of my lifetime.”

Lucky: Tell me about it….probably more “awful” even than trying to do crossword puzzles without a pencil!

I’ve been there. Years ago I bought a primary instrument and got a lemon too. The dealer wouldn’t take it back. I had to learn how to repair it myself. After every 1-2 hours of playing, the brittle wire “contacts” on the keys would snap off. On every break, there I was, replacing another ½ dozen contacts. A great sounding instrument, but what good is it if it’s undependable. An absolute nightmare I don’t wish to repeat.

DonM: “I have played X1, SD1, SD5 and Midjay. I absolutely love the sound for what I do.”
Lucky: Encouraging….especially from Don….he does a good show and been playing, I think, about 30 years now? Lots of hands-on experience.

Fran Carango: “What the X1 lacked for me ..was a stage ready OS...and it basically is the same OS today....Let me explain..I needed a board that I could make changes or alterations on the fly...I also needed an easier all around..get around keyboard..the X1 didn't do it.”

Lucky: Exactly what I need myself, so I’m hoping the SD5 is easy to work with on stage as I tend to go from one song to another because I do a lot of stuff out of my head.

DonM: (explains the actual simplicity of working on a Ketron)

Dan01: “As many know, I was the demo guy ( before AJ)for X1 & SD1. I created a video manual for X1 & currently I am on the SD1/SD1plus dvd…“

Lucky: Yes, I believe I caught your demo on Youtube. Very impressive and well-done video. And you talk very confidently.

Diki: “I think it would be interesting to hear what kind of musics those that play Ketrons primarily play to your audiences...I just don't feel a blanket recommendation without this fact is of all that much use... Some arrangers seem better for smooth jazz, some for rock and hiphop, some for bigband, etc..”

Lucky: Diki struck oil on this one….great perspective!

Dan01: “that Ketron sounds better and gives the one man band or duo / trio end users features that are needed for live entertaining..…”

Lucky: That’s what I like to/need to hear!

Hellboy44: “FWIW here in Australia, I can't (easily) get a hands on with any Ketron Product.”

Lucky: Heck….I’m in America and I can’t find one here either!

(at this point, I though I was going to lose the topic, but IL Parrothead arrived to salvage it)

Chony: “If anyone knows where in NY I can try one, I'd be interested.”

Lucky: Been saying that for quite a while now….I end up with a big, fat “zero” (New York of all places!)!

Anthony Johnson: “Maybe Ketron-AJ could take note and pass these soundings on to those responsible for Ketron sales. The general consensus of opinion seems to be that some, like me, would DEFINITELY buy a Ketron if there was a dealer in the area. Others are open minded and would possibly buy, if they had a chance to see, and play them live. Hardly anyone will buy if they can't see, hear or play them. If Ketron will not set up a proper dealership network, why not go back to the travelling salesman idea from the old days. If some guy wants to call at my home, with an SD3 HD under his arm, he can drive away with the cash in less than 30 minutes. Let's face it, even Yamaha sales would be abysmal if their sales division operated in the same way as Ketron's.”

Lucky: AJ….For a “junior member,“ what Anthony says here has really got punch! Are you listening, I hope? This mirrored my thoughts exactly. I’m only going to add that a Ketron demo person should be traveling around the country and advertising what major city you’ll be in and when. And have someone doing the demo that really knows his stuff. If I’m correct, you can do anything with the Ketron products except make chicken salad sandwiches!

Remember….you couldn’t sell $10 bills for $5 without ADVERTISING! Sam Ash periodically has workshops (though they’re generally limp), and Barnes & Nobles has authors come in to talk about their books, Domino’s pizza has signs hanging from telephone pole wires (Lord knows how they got them up there) pushing their Wednesday night specials (buy any large pie off the menu and get a free tank of gas and a new Lexus). Why can’t Ketron be the “snake oil salesman” pushing his wares from town to town?

Frankieve: “I have a Ketron SD5, SD4, SD2, Midjay, and Midjay Plus.
Yamaha S900, S700 Korg PA2xpro, PA50 I'm located in Milford, CT. about 40 minutes outside of NY Call me Frank

Lucky: Frank…I don’t know if I can make it there, but I will definitely call you.

Jerry T: “Some time ago, AJ conducted seminar-clinics around the U.S. Perhaps this discussion will encourage Ketron and AJ and/or other Ketron reps to start regular demo-clinics around the county again.”

“I certainly would like to attend a Ketron seminar as I know that I am not using the Midjay to its fullest. I would also like to see and hear some of the other products. I especially want to hear-see how the Midjay Plus is different or better than the Midjay.”

Lucky: AJ……another “wake-up” call!

Captain Russ: “As I've said before, I like the product, but have problems with the company and certain staff members and business practices. Would not buy a new unit from them. Got my Midjay from Don and the SD-5 from Jim. Things will have to change at Ketron before I buy from them. All the dealers I know are aware of the problem and don't like it, either. It has to do with direct sales to end customers, circumventing the distribution channel, and that's a major "no no" in the business world.”

Lucky: That’s interesting. Lou would have sold me one directly (and when the exchange rate was affordable). I didn’t get the same response from the new distributors. They played it straight right down the line. Are you sure about that?

Captain Russ: “Great product, though!”

Lucky: Whew!

Anthony Johnson: “Nobody gets any bigger without making an effort so, unfortunately, that's the way they're going to stay, (unless they go bust altogether) if they don't make an effort to sell their (extremely good) products.
Tony, Sheffield UK”

Lucky: Tony, I’m guessing you’re in marketing yourself. Or were you an extra in that wonderful movie about Sheffield: The Full Monty?

Lucky: But, and this is important for me, because, as I mentioned…I already went through every musicians nightmare: the instrument from Hell…the classic “lemon” (though someone here said, all in all, they haven’t had much trouble with arrangers over the years. I would say the same, as I’m sure they’ve been designing them much more effectively).

So what’s important is:

a) have you Ketron owners had much trouble with your units?

b) are you happy with the service Ketron provides for you (here in the USA) when you DO have breakdowns?

Lucky

#240563 - 08/25/08 10:09 PM Re: Why aren't most of you playing Ketron's?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I don't recall having any problems. I've had a question or two and I can pick up the phone and call Ted Kraus in New Jersey, the Sales Manager for Ketron in the U.S. He either answers the phone or calls me right back.
He can arrange for you to buy one. You can ask him about a trial and he will arrange it.
The number is on the new Ketron website. www.ketron.com
There is even a demo song by ME on there.
DonM

#240564 - 08/26/08 08:25 AM Re: Why aren't most of you playing Ketron's?
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
Hi Lucky,
A really business-like synopsis you've done there - I'm sure, with the thought you put into it, that you'll wind up a happy man.
Nice to get so much feed back from everyone.

a) I've had my MS40 for many years (can't remember how long ago they introduced them) and I've never had a moments trouble with it. Still some good sounds on it and the strings still sound better than any other keyboard that I've ever heard.

b) Although I'm in the UK which isn't really relevant to you, I'm glad I've never needed any service or I may have been in deep sh*t - this comes back again to Ketron's lack of a dealer network.

To sum up: Brilliant instruments - company probably run by 2 guys named Stan & Ollie.

No, I'm not in marketing - I'm a retired grinder (little mester) from the cutlery trade and still like good quality products.

As for "The Full Monty? with it's lovely Yorkshire (Sheffield) humour - it would have been even funnier with me appearing naked but I'm very shy and all my time on stage has been spent fully clothed.
Best wishes,
Tony, Sheffield UK

#240565 - 08/26/08 08:31 AM Re: Why aren't most of you playing Ketron's?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I don't recall having any problems. I've had a question or two and I can pick up the phone and call Ted Kraus in New Jersey, the Sales Manager for Ketron in the U.S. He either answers the phone or calls me right back.
He can arrange for you to buy one. You can ask him about a trial and he will arrange it.
The number is on the new Ketron website. www.ketron.com
There is even a demo song by ME on there.
DonM

Don Great Demo on the SD5...as always love your work!!

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online