SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#240546 - 08/24/08 08:03 PM Re: Why aren't most of you playing Ketron's?
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
Hey Hellboy, Google maps says it's only a 12 hour drive. Go for it.

#240547 - 08/24/08 09:33 PM Re: Why aren't most of you playing Ketron's?
IL Parrothead Offline

Loc: Orland Park, IL, USA
Dan01, I liked your last post. Good point - you go with SMF's on most of your stuff? And your Ketron can do all of the things you mentioned? I like the idea of being able to silence individual instruments, as on some gigs I may have one or more of those players with me, and I can just leave in the arranger mix the ones that aren't there. But, as hellboy said, I've never seen one on the floor of any music store near me. I believe I do know one guy that plays one up here. Maybe I should call him and go check his out. I do like their demo files!

------------------
Mike

#240548 - 08/25/08 12:22 AM Re: Why aren't most of you playing Ketron's?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If you like those features, you'll find all of them and much more in the Roland's, with the exception of you can't get the SMF player and the arranger drums to run in tandem. However, it's a simple matter to use the arranger Recorder to lay down a drum track, then import it into the SMF with an external sequencer...

There's a graphic mixer page with icons for all the sounds used in the sequence that a quick tap of the icon mutes that part, and easy access to part control over vol/pan/rev/chorus on the sliders.

It is, by far, the easiest and most powerful SMF player I have had the pleasure of using. The Marker feature alone pushes it into almost arranger-like control of your song. No more playing it back the same every time! Want an extra solo? Want to cut to the ending quicker? Want a vamp in the middle? You can do this now, even with SMF's.

Want synchronized lyrics on a BIG bright display? No problem... Want to Link FOUR completely different keyboard layouts and sounds (not just change one sound, but change EVERYTHING) to the SMF? No problem. This thing ROCKS for SMF's...

#240549 - 08/25/08 12:57 AM Re: Why aren't most of you playing Ketron's?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
If anyone knows where in NY I can try one, I'd be interested.

#240550 - 08/25/08 03:00 AM Re: Why aren't most of you playing Ketron's?
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
Maybe Ketron-AJ could take note and pass these soundings on to those responsible for Ketron sales. The general consensus of opinion seems to be that some, like me, would DEFINITELY buy a Ketron if there was a dealer in the area. Others are open minded and would possibly buy, if they had a chance to see, and play them live. Hardly anyone will buy if they can't see, hear or play them. If Ketron will not set up a proper dealership network, why not go back to the travelling salesman idea from the old days. If some guy wants to call at my home, with an SD3 HD under his arm, he can drive away with the cash in less than 30 minutes. Let's face it, even Yamaha sales would be abysmal if their sales division operated in the same way as Ketron's.

#240551 - 08/25/08 06:01 AM Re: Why aren't most of you playing Ketron's?
Dnj Offline

Ketron is a very small company all around versus Yamaha.

#240552 - 08/25/08 06:55 AM Re: Why aren't most of you playing Ketron's?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I have a Ketron SD5, SD4, SD2, Midjay, and Midjay Plus.

Yamaha S900, S700

Korg PA2xpro, PA50

I'm located in Milford, CT. about 40 minutes outside of NY

Call me

203-876-1133
Frank

#240553 - 08/25/08 07:20 AM Re: Why aren't most of you playing Ketron's?
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Some time ago, AJ conducted seminar-clinics around the U.S. Perhaps this discussion will encourage Ketron and AJ and/or other Ketron reps to start regular demo-clinics around the county again.
I play a variety of music genres and venues from Italian restaurants with midi accordion, to oldies dance parties with a Korg PA800, to cocktail and easy jazz with either set up. I have 2 Midjays, as per Diki's concern re; backup. The Midjay serves me well in terms of sounds, adequate styles (with the addition of SD5 and other converted styles), ease of use on the gig, flexibility and portability. I also have a couple of controllers to back up the PA800.
I certainly would like to attend a Ketron seminar as I know that I am not using the Midjay to its fullest. I would also like to see and hear some of the other products. I especially want to hear-see how the Midjay Plus is different or better than the Midjay.
Ciao,
Jerry

#240554 - 08/25/08 08:17 AM Re: Why aren't most of you playing Ketron's?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
"If you like those features, you'll find all of them and much more in the Roland's, with the exception of you can't get the SMF player and the arranger drums to run in tandem. However, it's a simple matter to use the arranger Recorder to lay down a drum track, then import it into the SMF with an external sequencer..."

Hi Diki...

I respect your opinion & I am certain you respect mine..Ketron's Idea of the drum remix is so you can trigger fill in's and move to different variations during the playback of the sequence, which in turn gives real time flexibility vs a recorded drum track. If I want to switch from a reggae style to a cumbia style in real time, I can..

#240555 - 08/25/08 08:31 AM Re: Why aren't most of you playing Ketron's?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I started with an Auto Orchestra (Solton product ofrom the late 70's). Currently, I have two old MS-60's that have been in use...often outside on a patio...for over 12 years, an SD-5 and a Midjay.

As I've said before, I like the product, but have problems with the company and certain staff members and business practices. Would not buy a new unit from them. Got my Midjay from Don and the SD-5 from Jim. Things will have to change at Ketron before I buy from them. All the dealers I know are aware of the problem and don't like it, either. It has to do with direct sales to end customers, circumventing the distribution channel, and that's a major "no no" in the business world.
If I were a dealer, I'd ship existing stock back and not talk to them until the situation was resolved.

Great product, though!

Russ

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online