SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#240536 - 08/23/08 11:11 AM Re: Why aren't most of you playing Ketron's?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
My X1 was in the top 3....of my favorite arranger keyboards.....and yes..the other two were Roland..

Yamaha and Korg barely made my top 10..

What the X1 lacked for me ..was a stage ready OS...and it basically is the same OS today....Let me explain..I needed a board that I could make changes or alterations on the fly...I also needed an easier all around..get around keyboard..the X1 didn't do it...I used the G1000 and the X1 during the same period..the X1 beat the G1000 with drums and bass..as Ketron still beats most of the other boards...Other features and certain sounds..it does not..

My short lived SD1..was very uncomfortable to use...and in a dark room..forgettaboutit!!!

I certainly could live with Ketron products..as my second choice..and still be "happy"...that I could not say about any other boards today...Thankfully, I don't have to go with my second choice...

I don't know what I would do if I needed a 3rd choice.. ...maybe..go back to accordion..

#240537 - 08/23/08 11:20 AM Re: Why aren't most of you playing Ketron's?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Fran, the Midjay has a totally different OS, and I'm assuming the Audya will have something similar. It's really easy to get around, and I love the registration system.
Drawbacks of the Midjay as an arranger would be the lack of ability to stack sounds on the right hand, unless you create a combination and save it as a new sound. This doesn't bother me, because I never use more than one sound except combination piano/strings, and there is a preset voice for that. I also created a piano/vocal OOH voice as well.
As far as the OS on the older models, it works great, but is totally different from the other companies. It is unique to Ketron and there is a learning curve. In many ways I prefer it to that of Yamaha, and in most ways to Korg. I do like Roland's OS also.
Actually one of the things I like about the old Ketron OS is how easily and quickly you can make changes and save them on the fly.
And you can easily edit and replace all the factory styles with your own if you want to.
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 08-23-2008).]

#240538 - 08/23/08 01:25 PM Re: Why aren't most of you playing Ketron's?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
As many know, I was the demo guy ( before AJ)for X1 & SD1. I created a video manual for X1 & currently I am on the SD1/SD1plus dvd...

I have a SD1 at my home & a SD1plus at my Church. I could not use anything different.
I tried a T2 & PA800 & PSRS900, but could not equal the sound of Ketron...

My love for Ketron started with the MS40/50&60 keyboards and I have never looked back.

#240539 - 08/23/08 02:06 PM Re: Why aren't most of you playing Ketron's?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think it would be interesting to hear what kind of musics those that play Ketrons primarily play to your audiences...

I just don't feel a blanket recommendation without this fact is of all that much use... Some arrangers seem better for smooth jazz, some for rock and hiphop, some for bigband, etc.. To be honest, if someone is primarily playing country or R&B, an arranger that excels at bigband is probably not that great a buy, and vice versa.

#240540 - 08/23/08 05:38 PM Re: Why aren't most of you playing Ketron's?
IL Parrothead Offline

Loc: Orland Park, IL, USA
I agree with Diki. If I take the plunge, I'll want a board that works best for rock and pop primarily, with a little blues and reggae thrown in. A board that's great for big band or ethnic stuff won't help me.

------------------
Mike

#240541 - 08/23/08 05:43 PM Re: Why aren't most of you playing Ketron's?
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Great thread - how about folks thoughts on which keyboard best serves various genre of music?

Hammer

#240542 - 08/23/08 05:50 PM Re: Why aren't most of you playing Ketron's?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I think it would be interesting to hear what kind of musics those that play Ketrons primarily play to your audiences...

I just don't feel a blanket recommendation without this fact is of all that much use... Some arrangers seem better for smooth jazz, some for rock and hiphop, some for bigband, etc.. To be honest, if someone is primarily playing country or R&B, an arranger that excels at bigband is probably not that great a buy, and vice versa.

I think Don Mason plays a wide variety.
I use my keyboard for Church and primarliy use styles for real time application. I play a grand piano when not using styles.
When I play with my Duo, I primarily use midi files. Styles do not cover Steely Dan,Van Morrison,Santana,County hits,Buffett,Buffet,Huey Lewis and all the other tunes my guitar player & I like to entertain our target growd - 30-40-50 year old ...

I have all my midi files copied to a master folder on the hard drive and able to call any song up in a juke box mode... I like the ability to instantly take out all parts accept drums & bass with the push of a button. I like being able to remove parts from a sequence, reduce volume levels, change keys , change instruments used on a sequence and have it all saved on my hard drive without losing the original version.

I like the ability to remix a midi file by using the drums from style vs the drums that are on the sequence instantly.. Gives me a chance to make a sequence unique.. The drums on Ketron products have always been a favorite of many Ketron users. The comment you hear the most are "wow those drums sound live" ...

So I don't think it's about who your target customer is , it is the general opinion by Ketron owners , that Ketron sounds better and gives the one man band or duo / trio end users features that are needed for live entertaining.....

If I sit in with a band or just jam with some friends, than the sounds, from my Sd1 such as piano/organ/strings/brass etc.. are more favorable than other manufacturers.
I personally do not like the roland piano sample or Yamaha... It's just a matter of personal taste, period.

#240543 - 08/23/08 06:19 PM Re: Why aren't most of you playing Ketron's?
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
FWIW here in Australia, I can't (easily) get a hands on with any Ketron Product.

So I'd love to try one, but......

(and AJ - even Mercedes, BMW etc have dealerships just about everywhere!)

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#240544 - 08/23/08 10:50 PM Re: Why aren't most of you playing Ketron's?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Hellboy,
Gospel Piano Villawood is the Aust Distributer.

If you're looking for an SD1+, I've currently got 1 keyboard too many.haahaa

I'm so happy with the Korg PA800, my psr & SD1+ don't get used anymore.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by hellboy44:
FWIW here in Australia, I can't (easily) get a hands on with any Ketron Product.

So I'd love to try one, but......

(and AJ - even Mercedes, BMW etc have dealerships just about everywhere!)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#240545 - 08/24/08 05:24 PM Re: Why aren't most of you playing Ketron's?
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Ha!

Well Rikki my wife would KILL me if I bought another Board so soon after buying the PA1-X.

Yeah I've looked up the Gospel Pianos site before re Ketron - it's in Sydney and I'm in Brisvegas, so....

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online