SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#239622 - 08/07/08 07:23 AM Ot......MS Service pack 3 install yes or no?
Dnj Offline

Im a little weary about trying this update...has anyone experienced good or bad results?

#239623 - 08/07/08 07:39 AM Re: Ot......MS Service pack 3 install yes or no?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I tried loading it onto my LT and so did my geek son - bad results. We ended up reloading the Windows XP system altogether. He says that the SP3 items are essentially all of the updates to SP2 rolled into one. So, if you've been keeping up on your automatic updates, there should be no pressing need for SP3. Look around and check out some XP forums and you will see that there are issues with hangups and load problems with SP3. But then again, as with all MS updates, once they work they're seemless - if they work. And maybe they've fixed the glitches by now.

In this case, I would say that if you don't know if you need anything in SP3, then don't load it unless you back-up anything worth saving or keeping. And be prepared to wait for a while for it to load - if it loads completely.

Cass

#239624 - 08/07/08 07:49 AM Re: Ot......MS Service pack 3 install yes or no?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
I tried loading it onto my LT and so did my geek son - bad results. We ended up reloading the Windows XP system altogether. He says that the SP3 items are essentially all of the updates to SP2 rolled into one. So, if you've been keeping up on your automatic updates, there should be no pressing need for SP3. Look around and check out some XP forums and you will see that there are issues with hangups and load problems with SP3. But then again, as with all MS updates, once they work they're seemless - if they work. And maybe they've fixed the glitches by now.

In this case, I would say that if you don't know if you need anything in SP3, then don't load it unless you back-up anything worth saving or keeping. And be prepared to wait for a while for it to load - if it loads completely.

Cass

I've installed it on a number of PCs in the office without any problems. I agree, though if you've been keep up with the updates, no pressing need to update.

#239625 - 08/07/08 07:50 AM Re: Ot......MS Service pack 3 install yes or no?
Dnj Offline

Thanks Cass.....good ting I asked....My Pc if fine now...no need for SerPk3 I guess.

#239626 - 08/07/08 07:52 AM Re: Ot......MS Service pack 3 install yes or no?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I updated all my PC's to SP3

#239627 - 08/07/08 07:54 AM Re: Ot......MS Service pack 3 install yes or no?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
I updated all my PC's to SP3

no problems I hope?

#239628 - 08/07/08 01:01 PM Re: Ot......MS Service pack 3 install yes or no?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I'm writing this post on my new 24" iMac. A HUGE upgrade from any windows system I ever had. This is really a dual intel chip, so it works like mac or a pc .... I get to choose at powerup!

#239629 - 08/08/08 05:28 AM Re: Ot......MS Service pack 3 install yes or no?
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Both my PC's have been updated with SP3 without any problems.
Having read various forums' comments, it seems that you have no need to worry about updating to SP3, PROVIDING YOU HAVE KEPT YOUR PC IN GOOD ORDER..DEFRAGS being quite important.
Having said that, the SP3 is only marginally different to SP2 in my opinion and is not really necessary if you use your PC only for run of the mill usage, like Internet surfing and Emails and Forum visits#
cheers
Eddie Johnson

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online