SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#239189 - 08/01/08 09:53 AM speakers
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I went to Guitar Center the other night to buy a pair of speakers. I've used the Peavey Pr15s before. They weigh about 22 pounds a piece and sound great. After wandering around the speaker department for about 20 minutes I had to find an employee and ASK him to sell me the speakers. I did buy them.

However, they had a pair of Behringer powered 15 inch cabs. They were $229.00, only 20 bucks more than the Peaveys. They did weigh 57 pounds a piece. If they had had anyone competent to A/B them for me I would have had a listen.

I could have had powered speakers for 40 dollars more. Did I make a stupid decision?

Tom

Tom

#239190 - 08/01/08 11:39 AM Re: speakers
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think the only stupid decision was to go to Guitar Center and expect any kind of decent service!

#239191 - 08/01/08 12:34 PM Re: speakers
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Tom
Obviously, based on the price per pound, you were hosed.
Eddie

ps - I would pay the difference not to lift 52 lb speakers anymore.

#239192 - 08/01/08 12:39 PM Re: speakers
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I have heard a lot of stories about the behringer sound quality and durability. But I have never tried them myself. I suppose for every one that hates them just as many people swear by them.
I would have stuck with the Peavey also.

I had a similar experience I fired off an email when I got home they sent me a 25 dollar gift card.

#239193 - 08/01/08 04:22 PM Re: speakers
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I guess I must be among the very fortunate that has experienced excellent service and knowledge from employees at GC. The store in Towson, Maryland has some knowledgeable individuals working there, particularly in the Pro-Audio section. I called them this afternoon about the wrong instruction manual problem I had with the TC Helicon and the sales guy said give me about three days and I'll have the right one in the store for you. And if you want I can mail it to your home. Every store is different, and I'm very fortunate to live within a short drive of a good one.

Tom, at our age lighter is better. The days of lugging 52-pound speakers around have long since passed and at the end of the night your entire body will thank you for purchasing the lighter speakers.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#239194 - 08/01/08 08:06 PM Re: speakers
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
The Peavey set was the best choice. I own the pr12's and the pr15's. They have a much better sound and quality over the berhingers.

If I know behringer, The power cord is probably the same price as the speaker if it ever goes bad.

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.myspace.com/kidconcert
www.balloonanimal.com
www.1000colorcards.com

#239195 - 08/01/08 08:43 PM Re: speakers
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Mikey,

Would I have been just as well off with the PR12s?

Diki, Guitar Center is all I have around here and I needed the speakers for tomorrow.

Eddie, they sound real good on "Inna Godda Da Vida".

Gary, You are right, 22 puonds is heavy enough after lugging the G70.

Tom

Tom

#239196 - 08/02/08 09:34 AM Re: speakers
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by mikey_maestro:
The Peavey set was the best choice. I own the pr12's and the pr15's. They have a much better sound and quality over the berhingers.

Hi Mike

Have you had the chance to compare the sound of the PR series with the Behringer B212 or B212A? Or is this Behringer in general that you are refering to. If you have tried the B212's I'd be curious to hear your idea's on the differences between the 2 brands.

Scott

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online