SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#239053 - 07/29/08 04:39 AM How do you pick the songs you Play?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Do you pick your songs based on how well you sing them? How well you play them? Or on audience requests? Or do pick a song to play because you have the right styles on your keyboard? Or on all four criteria?

I have to admit that I shy away from some songs because they just don't feel right when I'm playing them. Other songs fit me like a custom tailored suit; the vocal parts, keyboard parts, groove, etc.

[This message has been edited by kbrkr (edited 07-29-2008).]

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#239054 - 07/29/08 04:59 AM Re: How do you pick the songs you Play?
Dnj Offline

DANCING! It's basically my only criteria in MY music world.
If you can't dance to it I dont play it.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-29-2008).]

#239055 - 07/29/08 06:20 AM Re: How do you pick the songs you Play?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
Do you pick your songs based on how well you sing them? How well you play them? Or on audience requests? Or do pick a song to play because you have the right styles on your keyboard? Or on all four criteria?

I have to admit that I shy away from some songs because they just don't feel right when I'm playing them. Other songs fit me like a custom tailored suit; the vocal parts, keyboard parts, groove, etc.
[This message has been edited by kbrkr (edited 07-29-2008).]

Since not all my gigs are 'dancing' gigs, I pick by ALL of the above - BUT - unless it is an absolute request from the client, if it doesn't FEEL right, it doesn't get played ...
t.

#239056 - 07/29/08 06:41 AM Re: How do you pick the songs you Play?
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
I returned to playing after a 30+ year layoff and only play senior citizen gigs - mostly because they like the music I grew up with, the gigs are only 1 - 2 hours long, and the environment is clean and smoke free - plus it is fun to play for them.

Well, after being away from professional playing for over 30 years I thought I needed help in selecting songs most folks would know so I searched all the sites for the "top songs" of certain eras and picked the top 3 from each year. I found I had hundreds of songs to start with and most were very well known tunes recored by well known artists of the period. My main criteria was how well known the tune was in it's time. Can't beat the old standards.

Hammer

#239057 - 07/29/08 06:42 AM Re: How do you pick the songs you Play?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
In my world, if you can't dance to the song, I usually don't play it--even when I was performing at upscale restaurants and nite clubs.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#239058 - 07/29/08 07:08 AM Re: How do you pick the songs you Play?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Three considerations for me...

1) Familiarity-Like the others, I cater to an older audience so its usually got to be something "in their wheelhouse."

2) "Danceability" - Not so critical for my Nursing home/Retirement Communities clients but certainly so for my dances, weddings, anniversaries, reunions, retirements, etc...

3) Requests-I solicit requests at most of the shows I do and keep a pad and pen handy so I can write suggestions down and then followup with them afterwards..

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#239059 - 07/29/08 09:46 AM Re: How do you pick the songs you Play?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I just read the room. Mostly, I look at the reaction of the ladies to what I'm doing.

Hey, I'm old and tired, but I'm not dead or stupid!

Russ "former Horn Dog" Lay

#239060 - 07/29/08 09:52 AM Re: How do you pick the songs you Play?
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Russ "former Horn Dog" Lay

LOL........yep, that's you

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#239061 - 07/29/08 10:13 AM Re: How do you pick the songs you Play?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Jim, now, it's kinda like aiming an empty pistol. Still "wave it around", but never intend for it to go off!

Russ

#239062 - 07/29/08 10:57 AM Re: How do you pick the songs you Play?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
How do you pick the songs you Play?

Al, your song selection criteria

* How well you sing & play them
* Audience Requests (popularlity)
* Arranger KB style compatible songs

is similar to mine, but beyond anything else, the song has got to FEEL right 4 ME.

One way to discover new song repetoire possibilites is to keep your eyes and ears open to classic songs brought back in recently released TV Commericals or movies. YouTube is a terrific source for this.

For example:

Areva Commercial: Funky Town, Lipss, Inc

Scott

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online