SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#238909 - 07/26/08 07:54 PM Re: Purchased a new mic...
Dnj Offline

I honestly liked "It Is Well" better....

the vocal qualities are more well rounded.
Singing thru a condenser Mic is a bit tricky.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-27-2008).]

#238910 - 07/27/08 04:56 AM Re: Purchased a new mic...
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Like any other instrument a new mic needs to be experimented with and you need to practice the best way to use this great new tool.

miden
"As a rule of thumb when using condensors live, if you hold you hand with the thumb and little finger extended and the middle three tucked in, touch your thumb to your chin and adjust the mic until your little finger just touch the mic. then set up your gain levels after that."

what a great idea!
I set my pop filter at that distance so if my lips touch the filter it is still a good distance from the mic, I'm so used to being right up on the mic.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 07-27-2008).]

#238911 - 07/27/08 08:21 PM Re: Purchased a new mic...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Addressing the background noice with sensitive mics:\

I produced a remake of the hit single "They're coming to take me away, ha ha", as well as TWO sequals and a dozen other weird comic tunes for a guy that used the stage name of Napoleon 14th ( I forget the Roman numerals! ). He lived in a row home in Philly and we recorded and/or remastered 90% of the album in ProTools or on an Adat (remember those?)using a very high end Neuman U87 ( I think that was the number ). This mic has traveled with my client from his glory days in the Brill Building (NYC) recording for Neil Diamond, Carol King, Sammy Davis Jr, Bert Bacharach and countless others, and was so sensitive, you could hear nose hair moving! I can't tell you hpw many "lip smacks" I had to remove!
Anyway - the trick to our pristine vocal sound was to record the voice in a closet full of heavy wollen coats. It was the BEST tone I have ever gotten from any mic. No hidden sounds, no unwanted reverb, no unexpexted ANYTHINGS.

Try it !

#238912 - 07/28/08 02:07 AM Re: Purchased a new mic...
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
I produced a remake of the hit single "They're coming to take me away, ha ha"

I just love that song. I remember it when it was released in Australia back in the 60s. The flip side of the single was even better being the same song recorded backwards. What a blast that was lol.

#238913 - 07/28/08 02:48 AM Re: Purchased a new mic...
Dnj Offline

#238914 - 07/28/08 07:27 AM Re: Purchased a new mic...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Nigel... Thay sam gent recorded 2 followups:
1) They're coming to get me AGAIN, ha ha, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiiHKOLiCG4&feature=related
and a very cool entry from Napoloian's wife:
2) I'm HAPPY they took you away, ha ha! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m138-Fn5Tw&feature=related

The CD was released on Rhino about 10 years ago, and had modest success in the novelty market. I understand the single does very well overseas ( from the USA ).

The original was groundbreaking because the technology didn't exist to speed up his voice and stay in tempo with the song, so his partner developed a rotary knob controller that changed the speed of the tape wheels ( yes, TAPE! ), in real time....the technique was to slow down the tape speed as he spoke the words in correct rhythm with the music, which APPEARED to be slowing down. On playback, the reels' speed was constant, so the voice track raised in pitch. Genius!

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 07-28-2008).]

#238915 - 07/28/08 07:34 AM Re: Purchased a new mic...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Dennis hit it! Condensers are great if used properly.

Russ

#238916 - 07/28/08 01:16 PM Re: Purchased a new mic...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
U87... One of the workhorses of the music biz...

Uncountable hits recorded on that type microphone.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online