SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#238852 - 07/24/08 05:28 PM Digitech harmonizer non responsive after repair...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Issue: Newly repaired Digitech Vocalist VR not responsive...

Background: I have purchased 2 harmonizers from users on this board...A digitech Vocalist Access and a Digitech Vocalist VR...Its been a while I think I may have bought them from Don and Mike in Michigan, but not sure...

The input switch was making a lot of noise whenever I'd turn it and as its happened before, I knew it needed replaced. Other than some distortion when turning and some slight signal abnormalities, the unit was working fine.

I picked it up at the repair place on Thursday plugged it in today and it powered up just fine, but its not acknowledging any midi signals coming from my tyros2.

Apparently they did a factory reset so some of the settings were off. I went through and matched all the VR's settings to the Access'...Still no luck...

I have both units set up side by side, the VR does not seem to recieve any keyboard signals...

The mic signal comes through just fine...the only issue is its not reacting to anything I do on the tyros...

Does this make sense to anyone?

Ideas?

Thanks!!

(Must be a night for goofy technical glitches, albeit mine's minor compared to Donny's...)

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 07-24-2008).]

#238853 - 07/24/08 10:34 PM Re: Digitech harmonizer non responsive after repair...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'd open it, and see if the tech forgot to connect something. Might be something as simple as a ribbon connector...

#238854 - 07/25/08 05:07 AM Re: Digitech harmonizer non responsive after repair...
Dnj Offline

What a shame that we have to resort to external devices on a $3000.00 + arranger KB that already has a VH feature...I hope Yamaha addresses this in the T3 & put in a Quality VH unit!!! Why should anyone have to go though this? A deal breaker always lurks in the mist Argggg!

#238855 - 07/25/08 05:38 AM Re: Digitech harmonizer non responsive after repair...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I'd open it, and see if the tech forgot to connect something. Might be something as simple as a ribbon connector...

The peculiar thing is the wife, who runs the front desk commented "they had it hooked up to a keyboard and it was working fine..."

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#238856 - 07/25/08 06:56 AM Re: Digitech harmonizer non responsive after repair...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Open it up, take it back or do both. Sounds like something is pinched or disconnected. It could be a cold solder joint that came loose. If you paid to have it repaired at a reputable shop, they'll work with you.

#238857 - 07/25/08 07:03 AM Re: Digitech harmonizer non responsive after repair...
Dnj Offline

Bring it back Bill WITH YOUR TYROS & make them try it in the shop!

#238858 - 07/25/08 08:19 AM Re: Digitech harmonizer non responsive after repair...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

Are you sure you selected the correct midi channel on the VR? I havn't touched mine in years, but I believe it's channel 2 that must be selected. If it's not responding, and the midi channel is properly selected, there's a good chance one of the chips has went bad. The chips are dirt cheap, about $12 to $20, and a good technician can replace the faulty one in less than 20 minutes.

Good Luck,

Gary

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 07-25-2008).]

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#238859 - 07/25/08 11:44 AM Re: Digitech harmonizer non responsive after repair...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
It sounds like Gary is right..my bet is you did not select the matching channel...Human error..

#238860 - 07/25/08 11:47 AM Re: Digitech harmonizer non responsive after repair...
Bill in Dayton Offline

I've got both of my harmonizers set up side by side with my tyros...

I've matched all the settings in the non functioning Digitech VR to the Vocalist Access which works fine...

BOTH are set to MIDI channel 1...

The Access works fine, the VR doesn't recognise a MIDI signal coming into it...The mic input on the VR is working fine...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 07-25-2008).]

#238861 - 07/25/08 02:07 PM Re: Digitech harmonizer non responsive after repair...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

If you are using the same cable, same settings, etc.. and one works and the other doesn't it's likely one of the chips. It's a quick, easy and inexpensive repair here.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online