Topic Options
#238727 - 07/22/08 01:45 PM Tyros3 Blogspot
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...

#238728 - 07/22/08 03:33 PM Re: Tyros3 Blogspot
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hey Scott ,

Are you going to be picking up the new T-3 ?

I will be looking real close at it !!

Later ,

Gary  

#238729 - 07/22/08 04:09 PM Re: Tyros3 Blogspot
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
It only confirms my speculation about the soon release of Roland's new totl arranger as the replacement to the aging G70. Since it will supposedly be released shortly after Yamaha's T3 launch it makes one wonder if Roland's new arranger flagship will directly compete with the T3 or blow it out of the water. Which would certainly be a real feat in itself considering Yammie's T3 has the new SAV2 inside. How many SAV2 voices is yet to be determined but maybe Yamaha just reworked the original SAV's and if that is true then there will only be 42 SAV2 voices right? Then again maybe Yamaha has kept the SAV1 voices and the SAV2 are brand new and NOT reworked SAV1 voices. We shall see... Yamaha will still sell a boat load of them even though the cost is astronomical, it only has 61 keys, and it's still made of an easily scratchable plastic outer shell casing. Oh well.. such is life in Yammie Land..

Best,
Mike

#238730 - 07/22/08 06:08 PM Re: Tyros3 Blogspot
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by jedi:
Are you going to be picking up the new T-3 ?

Hi Gary. Nothing planned (yet), as I remain satisfied with my current Tyros2 rig. I'm of course always excited to learn about any & all future arranger kb offerings not only Yamaha, but ALL the arranger kb manufacterers out there. That said, the promised new T3 features sounds enticing, but I'm going to wait till I have a chance to actually sit down and play T3 myself before making any upgrade decisions.

One critical factor which has tended to keep me in the Yamaha camp is that I'm not able to afford much downtime, so the amount of time required to transfer and/or rebuild my song repetoire 'custom reg setups' (over 1,000+ songs) always remains an important consideration.

Scott

#238731 - 07/22/08 09:13 PM Re: Tyros3 Blogspot
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
It only confirms my speculation about the soon release of Roland's new totl arranger as the replacement to the aging G70.

That view, and the one expressed in that blog are at odds with what Roland people are saying.

Look at it logically IF there was something, there would have been some leaked info by now, you all know that's how these companies work.

Don't be surprised to see Roland have a huge revamp of their home keyboard range, possibly building on the KF series and expanding them to include full arranger functionality.

Arranger sales for Roland in the US, South-East Asia and Australia are abysmal, (not my words). Why would they even try to keep a market they don't even have a toe-hold in? Compared to Yamaha and Korg.

However their "pro" keyboards are selling very well (again not my words). From the Fantom 88 through to the Juno. So why not try to stregthen that market share even further?

In my view Rolands future direction at the "Pro" level will be the continuing enhancement of their workstation keyboards, and their ties with Cakewalk. Not arranger keyboards, or rather, any that are going to require any significant R+D investment.

Dennis

#238732 - 07/23/08 12:14 AM Re: Tyros3 Blogspot
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Roland got a long way to go just to equal the T2, yet alone compete with the T3, for those of you that are already in love with the Yamaha sound....

Personally, I hope they don't even try. Those of us that still love Roland's love them for precisely the reason that they DON't sound like Yamaha's

Roland WILL have to address a basic issue, that we Roland users have been bitching about for a decade or more, though... We need more than ONE drum track. Not necessarily for more drum tracks, but for other, more interesting things, as well. Primary amongst them is Roland's 'Guitar Mode'.

Currently, there is no way to incorporate this into style mode, because the 'trigger notes' (the notes which play the upstroke, downstroke, choke, rakes, etc.) must NOT change when you change chords, or the pattern changes. The darn Guitar Mode is SUCH a tease, showing how good things COULD be, if only it were incorporated into the styles section (a la Korg), rather than a realtime ONLY feature it is now... I am just not convinced any of us wants to tie up our RH just for an accurate rhythm guitar part.. I got better things to do than a rhythm part, myself..!

But this is an issue that Roland need to grasp, and pronto, because, on the whole, I think the Roland's have many advantages over Yamaha, especially in the drums, which are far more vibrant and dynamic than Yamaha (IMO), but Yamaha's Mega voice guitars are head and shoulders above Roland's guitars (admittedly, head and shoulders above just about everything except perhaps the few Korg styles they HAVE re-voiced for their Guitar Mode), but a simple change to the OS would go a LONG way towards redressing that imbalance...

This issue, and the return of the Chord Sequencer would tempt me away from my G70, but otherwise, firstly, there aren't enough notes on the T3 keyboard to work as an all-round keyboard for me. I don't just need an arranger, I need a live band and recording keyboard, too. I would prefer them to all be the same keyboard, thank you very much!

Secondly, although Yamaha ARE reworking the drum section, to be honest, I don't see them straying far from what they already have, for fear of losing their user base, who apparently LIKE anemic, washed out drum sounds (and hate punchy Roland and Ketron ones!), so strike two...

But lastly is the style philosophy. This is definitely a matter of personal taste, but I LIKE working with styles that don't play everything for you... I can play quite a bit myself, but Yamaha's styles always seem to do too damn much for you... and this isn't just a case of muting the part. I'd rather work with a simpler part (that I have room to play over) than a complex one that I either got to mute, or get out of it's way... Yamaha excel in styles that do most of the work, all you need to do is a melody, you're in business. Me, I WANT to play more, and can't often find the room on a Yamaha unless I start muting a bunch of stuff.

Arrangers really ARE like bands, in a way... Would you rather play with great players who do it all, or would you rather play with great players who allow YOU to play as well..? I'm the latter, anyway

Anyway, back to the Roland rumors...

One of the things I like the BEST is the thought that Roland, for whatever reason, chose NOT to show or release a new arranger at NAMM, or Musikmesse. Perhaps, if they had waited a while before releasing the G70, and had developed the V3 system that improved it so well BEFORE the initial release, it wouldn't have gone through the initial horror that greeted it's first showing. It never recovered from that, despite being a vastly improved arranger, subsequently.

If Roland have taken the extra time to make sure that whatever new they have developed, and whatever old they have fixed is TRULY voiced and working to expectation, they may regain a semblance of the respect they USED to have...

But, as I said, I can only HOPE they are not trying to be a 'me too' Yamaha clone. Those that want a Yamaha can have one, and best wishes. Firstly, they is way too much proprietary stuff in the Yamaha OS for Roland to match them at what they do best. And there is WAY too much stuff that Roland already have better that Yamaha (who LIKES style editing on a Yamaha? ) that might get lost in a battle of catch-up.

Let Yamaha be Yamaha... and let Roland be Roland

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online