SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#238714 - 07/22/08 09:32 AM What's the MIDI CC for velocity?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
What's the MIDI CC for velocity?

#238715 - 07/22/08 09:57 AM Re: What's the MIDI CC for velocity?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Chony I think what you are looking for would be expression CC11 and cc43 (LSB expression)..

#238716 - 07/22/08 09:58 AM Re: What's the MIDI CC for velocity?
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi Chony

There is a MIDI Volume Controller; and it is 7 which is used for overall volume.

Note Velocity is defined within the Note On event.

Check this: http://home.roadrunner.com/~jgglatt/tech/midispec.htm

I hope I have understood your question correctly.

Regards
Jørgen

------------------
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site

#238717 - 07/22/08 10:00 AM Re: What's the MIDI CC for velocity?
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Hi

Maybe Fran's suggestion is what you are looking for ;-)

Regards
Jørgen

------------------

#238718 - 07/22/08 12:18 PM Re: What's the MIDI CC for velocity?
chony Offline

I'm trying to set up a MIDI filter on Cubase that automatically reduces the velocity of an incoming cymbal by 25%. But to program that, I need to tell Cubase which CC number the velocity is...

I'm not sure I understand you guys. If I do CC11 that should work?

#238719 - 07/22/08 12:29 PM Re: What's the MIDI CC for velocity?
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Hi Chony

CC 07 (Volume) and CC 11 (Expression) are both global controllers meaning they will change volume/velocity/expression for all notes.

I think you have to change the velocity in the NoteOn event for that particular note.

A cymbal has a note value; and it is located in the Drum channel.

I am not familar with Cubase; and I dont know if this is possible.

Something like:
if channel = 10 (default drum channel) and note = 49 (chrash cymbal in GM MIDI) then newVolume = 0.75 x oldVolume

Could be programmed ;-)

Regards
Jørgen

------------------

#238720 - 07/22/08 01:37 PM Re: What's the MIDI CC for velocity?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Chony,
The velocity is data that is stored with the NOTE EVENT, as is the length and the time it is played.

CC (control Change) events affect the note after it has been played, or just prior.But are applied to the whole track at one time and cannot be applied to a single note, unless it is on its own track and channel.

Therefore in this case a CC would not do what you want.

You will need to go into the note edit view and physically change the initial velocity value. I forget now exactly the order that Cubase uses ( I use Sonar) but it odes use a NOTE ON and a NOTE OFF velcity value.

I beleive (as is the case with Sonar) that there will be a midi tool that will enable you to vary the velocities of a whole track, passages or even just specific notes if you use the select by filter tool. Although this WILL depend on what version you have.

Dennis

#238721 - 07/22/08 11:27 PM Re: What's the MIDI CC for velocity?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Chony...

If you use the Input Transformer (if that is still in the new Cubase, I know it from VST5) you set up a filter that ONLY (Equal) selects the note number of the crash cymbal, THEN multiply the velocity by 0.75. That will do it in realtime (on input).

OTOH, if the part is already in Cubase, you Option-click on the note in the key editor (possibly different on a PC, but it will be in the manual... look up 'select all equal notes'), then you can use the Transpose and Velocity editor (command-h on a Mac) to divide their values, or add or subtract, whatever.

That key command, where you modify-key select one note, and it selects ALL the notes of that note number (in the Part), is one of the most useful key commands to learn, for editing drum parts. You CAN do it in the Drum editor, simply by selecting one drum note to edit, but I prefer to do everything in the same key editor, I'm not a huge fan of the Drum Editor page...

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 07-22-2008).]

#238722 - 07/22/08 11:50 PM Re: What's the MIDI CC for velocity?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Thanks for chiming in and providing the Cubase data Diki. My expertise is with Sonar as far as tools and editing goes.

Cheers,
Dennis

#238723 - 07/23/08 12:02 AM Re: What's the MIDI CC for velocity?
chony Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Chony...

If you use the Input Transformer (if that is still in the new Cubase, I know it from VST5) you set up a filter that ONLY (Equal) selects the note number of the crash cymbal, THEN multiply the velocity by 0.75. That will do it in realtime (on input).

OTOH, if the part is already in Cubase, you Option-click on the note in the key editor (possibly different on a PC, but it will be in the manual... look up 'select all equal notes'), then you can use the Transpose and Velocity editor (command-h on a Mac) to divide their values, or add or subtract, whatever.

That key command, where you modify-key select one note, and it selects ALL the notes of that note number (in the Part), is one of the most useful key commands to learn, for editing drum parts. You CAN do it in the Drum editor, simply by selecting one drum note to edit, but I prefer to do everything in the same key editor, I'm not a huge fan of the Drum Editor page...

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 07-22-2008).]

Diki thanks!

I was playing around with the input transformer - but couldn't quite work out what language to use. I'll try it tomorrow...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online