SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#238514 - 07/18/08 08:14 AM decided on pa800
don adams Offline

Loc: Dryden ON Canada
Well I made the decision between the pa800 and the s900 and am buying the pa.

Although I did feel the s900 was more usable stylewise out of the box the features
and extras plus the upcoming new operating system led to my decision. I might consider buying the yamaha later if my forays into arranger playing work out financially. A lot of my decision had to do with being able to use the pa800 as a workstation in my studio as well as play live.

My thoughts

korg organs, drums, harmonizer, voices, guitar mode, strings all vastly superior

bass, brass, woodwinds, pianos similar depending on taste

yamaha lead guitars probably superior

super articulated sounds are very nice in yamaha

I felt both boards lack in some guitar sounds such as jazz, clean overdrive

Found extras in the pa such as would be in a workstation i.e.drum family volume - routing separate drums to separate outputs (very important to me as I want to record each drum separately and adjust volume later)

Anyway I felt I had to have the korg and love playing it. I also liked the fact few of these boards have been sold in this area ( Winnipeg Man) giving me a chance at sounding a little unique.
I hope I can find or create a few missing styles. More 60's rock, more motown, soul and blues and some singer standards from 40's 50's. Can anyone tell me what the bonus styles on the korg site are and how I go about downloading?

Thanks for your input and kind words

Don Adams

#238515 - 07/18/08 08:18 AM Re: decided on pa800
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by don adams:
Well I made the decision between the pa800 and the s900 and am buying the pa.

Although I did feel the s900 was more usable stylewise out of the box the features
and extras plus the upcoming new operating system led to my decision. I might consider buying the yamaha later if my forays into arranger playing work out financially. A lot of my decision had to do with being able to use the pa800 as a workstation in my studio as well as play live.

My thoughts

korg organs, drums, harmonizer, voices, guitar mode, strings all vastly superior

bass, brass, woodwinds, pianos similar depending on taste

yamaha lead guitars probably superior

super articulated sounds are very nice in yamaha

I felt both boards lack in some guitar sounds such as jazz, clean overdrive

Found extras in the pa such as would be in a workstation i.e.drum family volume - routing separate drums to separate outputs (very important to me as I want to record each drum separately and adjust volume later)

Anyway I felt I had to have the korg and love playing it. I also liked the fact few of these boards have been sold in this area ( Winnipeg Man) giving me a chance at sounding a little unique.
I hope I can find or create a few missing styles. More 60's rock, more motown, soul and blues and some singer standards from 40's 50's. Can anyone tell me what the bonus styles on the korg site are and how I go about downloading?

Thanks for your input and kind words

Don Adams

Good luck with your new AX, I hope it works out for you, keep us posted.......The "lack of style availability", was the straw that broke the camels back for me on the PAS800, although I was tossed about selling it due to all the other great features....but oh well life goes on in the arranger world

heres a link to the Korg forums if you need help, nice knowledgeable people there.
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=50

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-18-2008).]

#238516 - 07/18/08 08:47 AM Re: decided on pa800
zuki Offline

Don,

Congratulations on your decision. It's a really great arranger. You'll appreciated the SONGBOOK, JUKEBOX, HARMONIZER and the other things mentioned.

Like Donny said, check out the other forum for more help and remember the free upgrade coming around September.

Let me know if I can be of assistance, as I have the same board.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#238517 - 07/18/08 09:05 AM Re: decided on pa800
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Don congratulations and good luck with the PA800,it's a great board. I liked the 800 so much I upgraded to the PA2xPro.

#238518 - 07/18/08 10:45 AM Re: decided on pa800
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Don I loved your old TV series..How is 99?

Just kidding..

Good luck with the new board..

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online