SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#238434 - 07/17/08 04:48 PM Went window shopping yesterday
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Yesterday Donny and I made our rounds( about 100 miles ).

We checked out some boards for the first time...

One of them was the Hammond XK-3c...when I first grabbed a chord..I said WOW!!!!

You guys must know what you are talking about...unbeknown to us..they had the Hammond connected to a new Leslie..sort of hidden..

The Hammond by itself with the simulated leslie was good...but not that good..

Maybe you guys should check out the new Leslies if you want that big sound...

Don't get me wrong...for a dedicated draw bar organ..it looks like the Hammond XK-3c is the one to get...

That being said..we reached over a dialed up a couple organs on the RD700 sx (that's right..the old model)..this sounded every bit as strong as the Hammond..even the leslie [mod paddle that would not hold it on/off..maybe assignable to a foot pedal}..

What is impressive about this older model...The Piano was way better than the Kurz PC2 sitting next to it..and the dynamics and feel were superior too..

This RD700 sx could make an ideal board that can be had at a good price..Ditto for the 300sx sitting above the 700sx..

Also played the Hammond XK-1.. nothing in the same class with the big brother..The Leslie may be the worse...maybe worse than the Nord..

Today I tried the new RD's again..I loaded up a thumb drive with 150 MP's and a few sequences..

After figuring the ins and outs of these boards...The playback works pretty good..You can select any tune..scrolling alphabetically..or assign songs to the first 15 lower keys for instant selection..I preferred the scroll so you can find any tune...It scrolls fairly quick..there is a start/stop feature[a bit nicer on the 700 than the 300)..There is no volume control other than the master volume..you have to make the volume balance with the panel voice volume sliders..

The bad thing ...apparently ..you can't search while playing an MP3....Something the Sonic Cell can do..

I am leaning towards picking up another Sonic Cell to use with one of my controllers..especially since the Sonic Cell was updated to handle 399 tunes on a thumb drive now..instead of the old 99 file limitation..This makes a big difference for me...

I thought I would just comment on our lastest adventure......and yes the strawberry waffle was ..GGGOOOOOOOODDDD!!!!..

#238435 - 07/17/08 05:14 PM Re: Went window shopping yesterday
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
......and yes the strawberry waffle was ..GGGOOOOOOOODDDD!!!!..

Yeah, that should help you get in shape for your next wet t-shirt competition.

chas

#238436 - 07/17/08 05:17 PM Re: Went window shopping yesterday
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The trick to auditioning Leslie's is to stand around thirty feet away from them. Then the difference between a real Leslie and the best of the sims becomes less apparent, at least from your audience's perspective... Up close, there's no comparison, but the further back you get

And, when you say you tried the new RD, does that mean the RD700GX?

#238437 - 07/18/08 04:45 AM Re: Went window shopping yesterday
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Well, did you buy any Windows?

(I just couldn't resist)!

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#238438 - 07/18/08 05:14 AM Re: Went window shopping yesterday
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Hope you didn't miss another job .

BTW, thanks for the big kick in the pants regarding the XK-1. My praise stands, although I have been looking at used RT-3's. Anyone have opinions or knowledge of these Motion sound rotors?

#238439 - 07/18/08 05:21 AM Re: Went window shopping yesterday
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
The trick to auditioning Leslie's is to stand around thirty feet away from them. Then the difference between a real Leslie and the best of the sims becomes less apparent, at least from your audience's perspective... Up close, there's no comparison, but the further back you get

And, when you say you tried the new RD, does that mean the RD700GX?

http://www.theatreorgans.com/hammond/faq/mystery/mystery.html

#238440 - 07/18/08 05:44 AM Re: Went window shopping yesterday
Fran Carango Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Hope you didn't miss another job .

BTW, thanks for the big kick in the pants regarding the XK-1. My praise stands, although I have been looking at used RT-3's. Anyone have opinions or knowledge of these Motion sound rotors?

Cass, I was referring mostly about the Leslie simulator..comparing it to it's big brother..at half the price..we should expect it to be less of an instrument...Compared to the old XB2.. your board has come along alright..

For my own use, I can't see hauling another board just for dedicated organ...the G70 already covers it well enough...

besides.........

The Native Instruments B4 has spoiled me..

#238441 - 07/18/08 06:01 AM Re: Went window shopping yesterday
Dnj Offline

#238442 - 07/18/08 06:31 AM Re: Went window shopping yesterday
Fran Carango Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AZDQgiao6c

right hand bass ?

You guys do know it was mirrored!!!!!!!

#238443 - 07/18/08 08:29 AM Re: Went window shopping yesterday
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

You guys do know it was mirrored!!!!!!!

Actually I love window shopping with Fran we do it all the time.....but little by little we need to seek some better stocked stores for some real hands on shopping. Its so depressing to walk into a store & see models from ages ago, & then when you ask about something new the so called salespersons just look at you in bewilderment & YOU have to explain to them about new Gear!!! hey buddy you get paid to do this NOT Me ....No wonder why sales are slumping between online purchases & poorly stocked stores coupled with unknowing personnel how can anyone make a educated buying decision? Good Music stores are far & few between these days....you'll need a good road trip to find one too.
Ahhhhhhhhhh.....Whats the use?

BTW: Fran when is the next shopping/ breakfast spree

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online