SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#238400 - 07/18/08 05:43 AM Re: Korg Pa 800 - Harmonizer and SMF
zuki Offline

A different approach to utilizing the vocal harmonizer with smf:

Set up your midi file to a performance, using the split mode in arranger play. When you play the correct chords (I simply mute the LH), you can add harmony ANY TIME you want in the song. You can use whatever RH you want also - works like a charm. You don't have to use the stock harmonies provided by someone else.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#238401 - 07/18/08 05:46 AM Re: Korg Pa 800 - Harmonizer and SMF
zuki Offline

Also...

If you decided to do a medley (which I do), you can set these songs up in the jukebox under themes (Elvis, Roy, etc) and they will play in succession. It's easy to tab back to lyrics, performance setups, etc, which are right on the screen - very cool feature.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#238402 - 07/18/08 05:46 AM Re: Korg Pa 800 - Harmonizer and SMF
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
A different approach to utilizing the vocal harmonizer with smf:

Set up your midi file to a performance, using the split mode in arranger play. When you play the correct chords (I simply mute the LH), you can add harmony ANY TIME you want in the song. You can use whatever RH you want also - works like a charm. You don't have to use the stock harmonies provided by someone else.

Zuki, we heard you the first time...

#238403 - 07/18/08 06:21 AM Re: Korg Pa 800 - Harmonizer and SMF
zuki Offline

Well Fran,

It was buried in another thread and this is a new fellow trying to get ideas - sorry it wasn't related to Roland.

A little tired and grumpy from all that window shopping yesterday?

[This message has been edited by zuki (edited 07-18-2008).]

#238404 - 07/18/08 10:12 AM Re: Korg Pa 800 - Harmonizer and SMF
musicm Offline

Loc: los angeles, ca, usa
Jckeeys and Dennis, thank you.

I have followed your instructions, here what I did:

Jckeeyes, you said “go into menu/Midi settings (no global).
The only “Midi” page I have found in the PA 800 is on MENU - GLOBAL: Midi, but in that page I have not found any Harmonizer button.
I then found a “Midi Set Up” on SONG PLAY - SEQ1:PREFERENCES. In that page the Midi set up is set on Default (other options are master keyboard, squencer 1, 2, Accordion 1,2,3 and Extern. Seq.) I don't think I have identified the page you suggested yet...

Dennis, I followed your instructions and went to Song mode - menu - preferences and on the page SONG PLAY-SEQ1:Preferences on the Harmony button I selected Seq 1 Track 5, I have actually already done this before. Question: should I select Seq 1+2 Track 5? (it seems that in that way both seq would make work the harmonizer on track 5)

At this time the harmonizer still is not playing the correct notes when I play an Tune 1000 SMF. But I have faith :-)

Thank you for the tutorials suggestion, I am studying them right now...

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Sorry, just an addition to the above..If you press the dropdown menu (top right of screen) you can save this a sthe global song play setup. If you dont, and you dont create a songbook entry (whihc overides these settings) it will revert back to the default after you turn the PA off.

Dennis

#238405 - 07/18/08 10:15 AM Re: Korg Pa 800 - Harmonizer and SMF
musicm Offline

Loc: los angeles, ca, usa
Dennis, good morning,

I have made a search for "EXTERNAL MIDI SET UP GUIDE" on the Korg forum but I cannot find it... can you maybe send me the link?

thank you

Marco

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Marco,

SMF's that follow the Gm1/Gm2 spec will ALWAYS have the harmonising data on track 5, melody is on 4 and bass on 2, everyone knows drums are on 10.

All commercial midi file creators follow this, however if you get "freebies" you are getting what you pay for. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

You can set the PA800 to ANY track you want as the harmony (I personally use channel 15 but I do not use SMF's anyway, they are tweaked in many ways and fully utilise upper bank sounds and effects rather than the stock GM set).

I have written a tutorial on the Korg forums that explains how to use the harmoniser and set it up, it is under "External Midi setup Guide"

Dennis

#238406 - 07/18/08 06:10 PM Re: Korg Pa 800 - Harmonizer and SMF
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Zuki, we heard you the first time...

Sorry Fran,

I know what you meant now. I didn't see my double post

BTW, I can't get tune 1000 harmonies to work on T5 either???

#238407 - 07/19/08 12:36 AM Re: Korg Pa 800 - Harmonizer and SMF
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Hi Marco,

Yes you can set it for Player 1, 2 OR 1+2 which siimply means all your MIDI is the same for both players. I have a couple of MIDI setups which vary for either player so it gives me an instant new set of MIDI parameters. More so for what I am playing on the upper three tracks. Here is the link you asked for.
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=36187

Marco I strongly suggest you get registered and onto the Korg forums, as SZ is more for general arranger stuff. You could post in the Korg section on SZ, but it's rather, well lets just say, less inhabited than this one

Cheers
Dennis

#238408 - 07/19/08 12:40 AM Re: Korg Pa 800 - Harmonizer and SMF
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Marco,
Just an addendum... Not ALL Tune 1000 songs have harmonies. Also, if you have got the files from someone else ( or from the NET), they MAY have tweaked them and put that data onto another channel. Its a bit difficult for me without actually seeing the file/s in question.

But these are things you need to be aware of.

Also check out Zuki's posts above, as those methods he described are also very good for getting the harmonies you want.

Cheers
Dennis

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online