SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#238350 - 07/16/08 07:26 PM Re: PA Speaker making heckuva rattle...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Bill,

It's pretty much impossible for me to diagnose the problem from the photos. My guess is either some of the mounting screws have vibrated loose, or you have blown the speaker and the spider is shot. Take the back off the speaker that is not rattling, then compare the two. This may provide some insight to what is making the noise.

Hope this helps,

Gary

Gary-The speaker sounds great...absolutely normal, other than that "rattle" sound. When I took off the panel, one of the ends of the white "transformer?" is no longer attached to the circuit board. It should be secured from both ends, I presume...

When I hold the board in my hand and play my mp3 player through it, it sounds just fine...

Mainly wondering if I can try and drop some solder onto it or it it more complicated than that?

Thanks-

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#238351 - 07/16/08 07:34 PM Re: PA Speaker making heckuva rattle...
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hey Bill,

The yellow battery shaped things are mylar capacitors. The white rectangular things are ceramic resistors. The spool-like thing is a coil or inductor. It looks like items you would find on a speaker crossover.

So you are saying that one of the leads to the ceramic resistor has broken away from the circuit board?

How good are you at soldering?

-mike

#238352 - 07/16/08 07:45 PM Re: PA Speaker making heckuva rattle...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by msutliff:
Hey Bill,

The yellow battery shaped things are mylar capacitors. The white rectangular things are ceramic resistors. The spool-like thing is a coil or inductor. It looks like items you would find on a speaker crossover.

So you are saying that one of the leads to the ceramic resistor has broken away from the circuit board?

How good are you at soldering?

-mike

I've never soldered anything in my life, I'm afraid...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#238353 - 07/16/08 07:52 PM Re: PA Speaker making heckuva rattle...
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Got any neighbors that owe you a favor?

-mike

#238354 - 07/16/08 07:58 PM Re: PA Speaker making heckuva rattle...
Dnj Offline

#238355 - 07/17/08 06:18 AM Re: PA Speaker making heckuva rattle...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

There's really nothing to soldering--it's just a matter of simultaneously heating the components that need to be soldered together and dabbing them with a small amount of solder until the solder freely flows and fuses the connection. Hold the connection in place until the solder cools enough to harden and that's it.

On Pringed Circuit Boards it's always best to use a small tipped, low wattage soldering iron and thin solder. This helps prevent overheating the circuitry and any adjacent components and causing damage.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online