SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#238052 - 07/13/08 06:17 PM Who uses an PDA? (And how???)
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I have a birthday coming up in August and my Wife/kids are wondering what to buy me. The suggestions from them include a Personal Data Assistant (PDA)or a GPS Device...

The PDA could be cool...I get a lot of calls for work while I'm on the road...It'd be sweet if I could access my website for updating purposes, access/create/edit invoices for new jobs that come in, etc...that kind of thing...

The GPS...I don't know...I'm pretty adept at working up online maps...I don't often head someplace that I'm entirely unfamiliar with. I almost think that could be a waste of money...

The PDA sounds like it could be lots more practical than the GPS device might be...

Thoughts/suggestions/experiences with either?

Thanks-

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#238053 - 07/13/08 11:25 PM Re: Who uses an PDA? (And how???)
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Bill
PDAs can come in handy, (I have had mine about 3 or 4 years) and I also have GPS software loaded into it, however these days most of the features can now be done with Mobile phones, so have a good think at what you really need. (Also don’t forget the Blackberry)
Hope this helps

Bill

#238054 - 07/13/08 11:54 PM Re: Who uses an PDA? (And how???)
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA
Can't live without my PDA phone or smartphone. Everything's there. Phone, emails, camera, GPS, Internet, music, Bible etc. I can even tether it to my laptop as a wireless modem. But, on it's own, its technically a handheld PC. My smartphone is HTC Tilt. You may want to go with same or equivalent.

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#238055 - 07/14/08 03:51 AM Re: Who uses an PDA? (And how???)
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I had one about two months ago used it a lot the first two weeks (new toy).
It was wifi capable and had skype so I could call anywhere.. but so did my laptop and that did everything soooo much better.
Then it slowly disappeared into the closet, Ended up selling it on ebay.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 07-14-2008).]

#238056 - 07/14/08 05:33 AM Re: Who uses an PDA? (And how???)
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Bill in my opinion the Blackberry is the way to go. I support both Blackberry and Palm Treo users where I work. Blackberry is simple to use and works all the time. I can't say the same for the Treo, they have had their share of problems ( at least in the environment where I work). If you do a google search on the Treo vs the Blackberry, you'll come up with similar opinions "get the Blackberry."

You may want to take a look at the Blackberry Curve. There's a new model called the Blackberry Bold, that's just being released too. I think AT&T may be releasing it this month. Talk is Verizon and Sprint will release it in September.

Not sure I'd want to be updating a web site or creating/editing invoices via a Blackberry. But I find mine convenient for calendar updates and e-mail.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 07-14-2008).]

#238057 - 07/14/08 06:45 AM Re: Who uses an PDA? (And how???)
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Bill,
Don't get just a plain PDA - I have had both a PDA and many "smartphones". I am a Palm OS person and like all of the products with the Palm OS. I caved in 3 months ago a bought a "Windows" OS smartphone and can say without doubt it is a Piece Of S**t. I spent a lot of money on it and will trash it and go back to my Treo. I have had several through the years and really have liked the Treos. I have no experience with any Blackberry phones but everyone I know who owns one seems to like them.
Hammer

#238058 - 07/14/08 07:15 AM Re: Who uses an PDA? (And how???)
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
iPod touch:
**gives you all that!
I just got one free with the purchace of a new iMac. Can't wait to check it out !

#238059 - 07/14/08 08:11 AM Re: Who uses an PDA? (And how???)
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
iPod touch:
**gives you all that!
I just got one free with the purchace of a new iMac. Can't wait to check it out !

Good choice too, I have an iPod touch and love it, it's more fun than a Blackberry, but for use by someone in business the Blackberry has an edge. The iPhone touch works on AT&Ts 3g network that is not available everywhere, be sure to check the coverage maps.

#238060 - 07/14/08 08:26 AM Re: Who uses an PDA? (And how???)
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Just one word of advice - BACK-UP!!! (is that one word???) ...
There was a news story recently about a guy who lost his BlackBerry like phone with all his business contact info on it and the 'finder' was demanding a RANSOM to give it back ... It worked out OK for the guy, but there is a lesson to be learned ...
t.

#238061 - 07/14/08 08:33 AM Re: Who uses an PDA? (And how???)
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Just one word of advice - [b]BACK-UP!!! (is that one word???) ...
There was a news story recently about a guy who lost his BlackBerry like phone with all his business contact info on it and the 'finder' was demanding a RANSOM to give it back ... It worked out OK for the guy, but there is a lesson to be learned ...
t. [/B]

Wow interesting I hadn't heard about that incident. Tony I use what's called BES Blackberry Enterprise Server. If any of my troops were to lose their Blackberry devices I can disable them remotely, so they become useless to a thief. Meanwhile, they sync with Outlook here at the office and that info is backed up nightly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online