SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#238036 - 07/13/08 04:48 AM Talk about your unlikely collaboration!
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
On the Jay Leno show the other night, the musical group that closed the show was the Wynton Marsalis quartet featuring, on guitar and vocals............Willie Nelson. Although I absolutely love Willie (as much for his 'colorful' image and lifestyle......plus, he wrote some the best R@B tunes ever during the 60's and 70's), this was some serious 'reaching out' for Wynton Marsalis, whom many here would also consider to be a musical snob (despite his true genius status). I love it, love it, love it. Shows what the world COULD be like if it weren't so full of a$$holes.

chas

#238037 - 07/13/08 06:27 AM Re: Talk about your unlikely collaboration!
Dnj Offline

#238038 - 07/13/08 06:49 AM Re: Talk about your unlikely collaboration!
cgiles Offline

Thanks for the link, Donny. I hadn't realized that they'd collaborated before. Great.

chas

#238039 - 07/13/08 07:26 AM Re: Talk about your unlikely collaboration!
Dnj Offline

Your very welcome ......
great stuff for sure!

#238040 - 07/13/08 06:07 PM Re: Talk about your unlikely collaboration!
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
On the Jay Leno show the other night, the musical group that closed the show was the Wynton Marsalis quartet featuring, on guitar and vocals............Willie Nelson. Although I absolutely love Willie (as much for his 'colorful' image and lifestyle......plus, he wrote some the best R@B tunes ever during the 60's and 70's), this was some serious 'reaching out' for Wynton Marsalis, whom many here would also consider to be a musical snob (despite his true genius status). I love it, love it, love it. Shows what the world COULD be like if it weren't so full of a$$holes.

chas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aysTVBYQ78

Jerry

#238041 - 07/14/08 12:15 PM Re: Talk about your unlikely collaboration!
cgiles Offline

Nice pickup, Jerry. Watching Wynton with the ol' plunger was like taking a step back in time. Glad someone is trying to preserve the old craft. Man, sure wish New Orleans was somewhere other than New Orleans. I'm still trying to find the time to go down for the HH NOLA Musicians Village project. My wife refuses to go because of the unsettling crime statistics (we've never actually been there although I know several musicians from there).

Anyway, nice video. Everyone should watch it, if only to remind ourselves of the days before electronics ruled the music scene.

chas

#238042 - 07/14/08 12:45 PM Re: Talk about your unlikely collaboration!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
There are some pretty unsettling crime statistics in the ATL, as well, chas... doesn't stop you from going there.

Come on down to N.O.... You'll find that crime is, as it always tends to be, far more concentrated in some areas than others. Grab a room in the Quarter, you should be fine.

Mind you, this time of year is pretty hot and humid, and Bourbon St. gets a bit more 'fragrant' than in the Fall plus it's kind of the off season, so entertainment is at it's low ebb. October or November, OTOH, is paradise

#238043 - 07/14/08 01:37 PM Re: Talk about your unlikely collaboration!
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
There are some pretty unsettling crime statistics in the ATL, as well, chas... doesn't stop you from going there.

Come on down to N.O.... You'll find that crime is, as it always tends to be, far more concentrated in some areas than others. Grab a room in the Quarter, you should be fine.

Mind you, this time of year is pretty hot and humid, and Bourbon St. gets a bit more 'fragrant' than in the Fall plus it's kind of the off season, so entertainment is at it's low ebb. October or November, OTOH, is paradise

Yeah, ATL is no Brentwood (well, pre-OJ Brentwood ), but not in the same league as NOLA. Besides, I live in the Roswell/Alpharetta/Sandy Springs area; very upscale, very safe, and it's where all three of our Jazz clubs are. I'm a little long in the tooth for HipHop clubs which give you a much better shot (no pun intended) of getting a chalk outline of yourself on the sidewalk. That's not a put-down of HipHop but I'm very sensitive to loud noises (really) and I've never heard it played at a reasonable volume.

I'll shoot for Oct. or Nov. then. In the meantime, I'm gearing up for the upcoming Atlanta National Black Arts Festival (nope, has nothing to do with magic). I got to play in it last year, no invite this year; we must have really sucked . There'll be people from all over the globe coming into town, however, so we should get lots of spillover into the club. Anyhoo, can't believe I've lived this long and never been to New Orleans; maybe that's why I've lived this long .

chas

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online